Motorola Atrix 2.2 to 2.3 when rooted flub?

TheHat

Reaction score
Okay guys, I'm the newb on the block. I'm actually not new to the IT world or messing with phones, but I definitely got lazy today.

I had just purchased the Motorola Atrix 4G for ATT's network about two weeks ago. I rooted it with aRoot while it was still running 2.2. That was the extent of my tooling, I didn't do anything with it beyond that except take pictures and text etc etc.

I just got the notification about the update for 2.3 being available. Instead of researching like I know to, I just decided to wing it considering all my pictures were just backed up so a crash didn't bother me. Laziness bested me and I didn't even think about the potential operating issues it may have if it successfully loaded 2.3 but with code problems.

The phone appeared to be working correctly, but swype making me angry. I couldn't get it to swype "that" at all, or "for" it kept giving me off the wall words and special letters with the 's over them and junk. I tried very slowly, and very accurately to no avail. I changed the swype settings to be more error tolerant, repeated, no success.

Is there any reason to believe this was because I didn't unroot 2.2 before upgrading to 2.3? Do you guys know if there will be any other problems (even if this isn't one) because I didn't unroot 2.2?

If so, I don't care, I just need to know what to do to fix it.

I already wiped the SD card and reset 2.3 to stock via the hard reset option. Again laziness bested me because I should have checked here prior to doing those two, all I can say is I'm tired and being dumb.

Please advise. I'd like to know it's working properly before doing anything to 2.3 to avoid risks of losing real data later due to a crash that was ticking in the shadows waiting to be triggered.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
T

TheHat

Reaction score
I did just check the swype again after the reboot from hard reset. "that" and "for" and several basic words are now very easy to swype. I then tried much longer less used words and it had no problems. I have a feeling not unrooting did cause problems and I'm hoping the reset to stock 2.3 fixed it.

I'd still appreciate some insight before I start customizing my desktops and such if I'm just going to have to delete it all again doing some upgrade/downgrade or reload etc.

Thanks!

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If the update went through then it should have wiped your system folder and rewrote it with the new software. As far as swype go into settings and change the prediction...also you can calibrate swype last I checked.

OP
T

TheHat

Reaction score
That's all I need to hear! Thanks!