Rooting 2.3 update

detox

Reaction score
This is how I rooted my droid x How to: Root DROID X Running Official Android 2.2 - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

As far as the HTC look. I would recommed ADW launcher. Then use the HTC theme.

Edit: As far as I know rooting 2.2 and 2.3 is the same. If it doesn't work the worse is you just don't get root.

That's how I rooted mine too. The first time it didn't take because I forgot to install the drivers located in the platforms on android sdk. Make sure you download the 2.2 platform and the drivers in the platform list at the bottom if you didn't already obtain root.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
A

Assocracer

Reaction score
I think he's referring to system number 2.3.15...

Swyped while being lazy in the DXForumApp

Yeah, I think so. I went to system update on my phone and that's the update that was there.

Daali

Reaction score
Tried that other file, still says permission denied. What am I doing wrong here? Not quite sure how to copy what the dos window is showing me, but it does give a bunch of adb is not recognized as an internal or external command.

moz-screenshot.png

Not sure if this screen shot is going to work, but here's the gist of it....

checking for devices...
`adb` is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program, or batch file

Transfering Payload.
-->Superuser.apk
-->su
-->busybox
-->rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin

then it goes thru it's "this will start in 10-5-4-3-2-1" phase,

and basically gives the `adb` is not recognized as an internal or external command,
after every command it tries. Then it tells me that everything was sucessful and my phone is rooted.

Not sure what to make of this cause obviously it's not working.

Thanks for your help guys.

You didn't set up the PATH environment for your computer to be able to find ADB in the android/tools folder from anywhere.

Optionally, you may want to add the location of the SDK's primary tools directory to your system PATH. The primary tools/ directory is located at the root of the SDK folder. Adding tools to your path lets you run Android Debug Bridge (adb) and the other command line tools without needing to supply the full path to the tools directory.

• On Linux, edit your ~/.bash_profile or ~/.bashrc file. Look for a line that sets the PATH environment variable and add the full path to the tools/ directory to it. If you don't see a line setting the path, you can add one:
    • export PATH=${PATH}:<your_sdk_dir>/tools
  • On a Mac OS X, look in your home directory for .bash_profile and proceed as for Linux. You can create the .bash_profile if you haven't already set one up on your machine.
  • On Windows, right-click on My Computer, and select Properties. Under the Advanced tab, hit the Environment Variables button, and in the dialog that comes up, double-click on Path (under System Variables). Add the full path to the tools/ directory to the path.

scubieman

Reaction score
So is there a difference between 2.2 and 2.3? Also I got 2.2 SBF can I flash that if i have 2.3?

EDIT: quick side note . I checked my phone and system verison is 2.3.15 .. android version is 2.2? So which am I?

Last edited:

detox

Reaction score
System version 2.3.15 or 2.3.20 is android version 2.2 or froyo

detox

Reaction score
Windows 7 gave me problems when rooting. ADB would not recognize my device. I had to do mine on XP and it worked flawlessly the first time. Could this be the issue?

OP
A

Assocracer

Reaction score
Success! I think :) I typed in su in the terminal emulator and got a request for superuser, but didn't get the screen that someone showed me before.

detox

Reaction score
Success! I think :) I typed in su in the terminal emulator and got a request for superuser, but didn't get the screen that someone showed me before.

Go to the market and download the superuser app. When you open it(if you successfully rooted) it will ask you for permission. Click allow always

scubieman

Reaction score

The screenshot I gave you before is different from what you got.

THE ONLY THING you will see is it will go from a $ symbol to #. If it goes to # congrats your rooted.

OP
A

Assocracer

Reaction score
Superuser fails to install on my phone. Was reading on the website and i can't seem to understand how to get it to install.

scubieman

Reaction score
Superuser fails to install on my phone. Was reading on the website and i can't seem to understand how to get it to install.

Your rooted.

I will give you download click. Open with your phone. Download and should asked to install.

go to settings > applications > then make sure unknown sources is checked BEFORE download via phone.

superuser APK http://db.tt/PCm9vxn

Last edited: