Rooting 2.3 update

Assocracer

Reaction score
Hey all, first post. Been interested in rooting my phone for awhile now for a few reasons. Would like to use it as a wifi hotspot without having to give Verizon money to do something that I should be able to do for free. Also, my buddy has the HTC Evo4 and I LOVE HTC interface and want to find a rom that is similar to it. I've been reading for hours on this website and haven't found anything pertaining to the 2.3 update. Everything that i've found seems to have to do with 2.1 and a little about 2.2. So my question is, is there anyone that knows about rooting 2.3 and is there a rom out there like the HTC interface? Thanks.

OP
A

Assocracer

Reaction score
Ok, followed all the instructions on that page, windows said it was sucessful, restarted my phone, so how do i know if it's rooted? I don't have the little ninja icon that everyone seems to be talking about.

scubieman

Reaction score
The ninja thing should be a app.. Download a terminal emulator and type su . if it returns a pound prompt your rooted. If it says unsuccessful rerun doroot

OP
A

Assocracer

Reaction score
The ninja thing should be a app.. Download a terminal emulator and type su . if it returns a pound prompt your rooted. If it says unsuccessful rerun doroot

Where do I find a terminal emulator? And what do you mean type su?

scubieman

Reaction score
Open "The Market" and search for terminal emulator download any.

When you open terminal emulator It should look like this. The very first command you will see is "su" without quotes.

Superuser.jpg

OP
A

Assocracer

Reaction score
OK, when i type su it says permission denied, so i'm assuming that the rooting didn't work?

OP
A

Assocracer

Reaction score
Both times it said rooting sucessful, both times it says permission denied. Not sure what's going on here. Maybe did I screw myself by updated to 2.3? Is there a way to revert back to 2.2?

OP
A

Assocracer

Reaction score
Tried that other file, still says permission denied. What am I doing wrong here? Not quite sure how to copy what the dos window is showing me, but it does give a bunch of adb is not recognized as an internal or external command.

moz-screenshot.png

Not sure if this screen shot is going to work, but here's the gist of it....

checking for devices...
`adb` is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program, or batch file

Transfering Payload.
-->Superuser.apk
-->su
-->busybox
-->rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin

then it goes thru it's "this will start in 10-5-4-3-2-1" phase,

and basically gives the `adb` is not recognized as an internal or external command,
after every command it tries. Then it tells me that everything was sucessful and my phone is rooted.

Not sure what to make of this cause obviously it's not working.

Thanks for your help guys.

OP
A

Assocracer

Reaction score
Now that I think of it, when it says "reboot" your phone, does that simply mean just turning it off and turning it back on, or is there more to it?

Barkleyfan

Reaction score
When you mount for ADB, mount in PC mode. Should run fine after that. But I'm not sure what you mean about 2.3... Nobody has 2.3 so far as I'm aware. The X has 2.2 available. 2.2 is Froyo, 2.3 is Gingerbread, and 3.0 is Honeycomb. Neither Gingerbread nor Honeycomb are available as of yet. Not sure we'll EVER see them for the X, Motofail being what it is.