WiFi woes

fishfilet

Reaction score
I am having hell with this phone and its WiFi.

First if i toggle WiFi off and then back on the phone will not automatically join my wifi network. I have to go to wifi settings and then it will rejoin my network. I don't have to click on my network and join it again. I simply have to visit the menu again and it jumps back on my network.

The big problem is once it is on my network the performance is terrible. Most of the time I am better off using 3G.

I can have my iPad and iPhone right next to my Droid X and they work fine on wifi but the droid is very slow and sometimes hangs. If I do a speed test, the droid will hit anywhere from 8-60kbytes but my other devices will get 700-1200kbytes.

Once in a while the droid will get the same good rates but it is rare. Like I said it is in and out, mostly out.

Anyone else having these issues?

I am wondering if this is something that will be solved with a software update or if I just got a dud.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

daxdm302

Reaction score
Maybe its an issue with your router, not your droid x

Just sayin id try to reset the router
maybe itll solve your problem

OP
F

fishfilet

Reaction score
I don't think so. Remember I have no problems with my ipad, iphone, computer, playstation, apple tv.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

evaro

Reaction score
I'm having the same irritating problem. I searched high and low for an answer- I called Verizon and Motorola and went into three different Verizon stores, but nobody could give me an answer. I even exchanged the phone for a different one, but I'm still having the exact same problem as the original poster. I suspect it's a firmware issue and hope it will be addressed soon because it's driving me nuts. I've tried messing with every setting I could think of on both the phone and my router but it didn't help. The phone also has the same issues on other WiFi networks, so I really doubt it's something to do with my router. The Droid Incredible I had before this worked perfectly on WiFi and never had a problem connecting to any network.

Does anyone out there have any idea what it could be?

zamslam

Reaction score
Same issue here. Wireless very flaky. Seems to be commonly reported on other forums too which makes me hopeful for a fix.

jake6216

Reaction score
Droid x deal breaker!!!!

ok first off i am going to apologize for the long post i even made it shorter then it was so bear with me......ok I have been experienced the same exact issues listed by the original poster....First off my brother and i are on the same verizon account and both had the original droid, rooted and all that fancy crap, and we just loved customizing for hours to see how badass we could make our droids to rub in the face of any apple fanboy we would happen upon, so when the droid x came out we didnt hesitate at all, we were all over it, and had it delivered to the door the morning of the 16th...within the first hour of "geekin" out on this new gadget i realized the wifi would just stop working although it was still connected, so i would disconnect and reconnect and it would work fine for at least 5 min but then same thing. so being a network tech along with my brother whom works for the government as a network tech, we started troubleshooting our network and so the long wifi debacle began.....so after reconfiguring the entire network, which is quite vast for a home network, the problem still exsisted so i decided to reactivate my original droid on a different line and do side by side speed tests (with the fcc application) of which the results were not in the droid x's favor. every time my original droid would run 3x or more faster then my droid x. i have wave broadband 18 mb/s down 2 mb/s up, and every time i ran the fcc speed test on my droid x it would never top 4.5 mb/s down its average was right around 2 mb/s but with my original droid i would reach speeds of at least 10 mb/s all the way up to 16 mb/s with an average of around 12 mb/s. now this just made no sense to me seeing as i have a brand new wireless n+ dual band belkin router and the droid x has wireless n, compaired to the original droids 802.11b/g. so after all this i came to the conclusion it was either a hardware issue or firmware issue so i called verizon. in short i was on hold for probably around an hour total and talked to 2 customer service reps 2 tier1 techs and 2 tier2 techs. all in all spent about 4 hrs talking to different reps at verizon only to get pawned off onto motorola customer service and thats where it gets weird. on first contact to motorola customer care i was told by a customer service rep (csr) that all techs were busy and it will be a 25-30min hold, this nice lady gave me two options, 1- wait on the phone for 30 min and talk to a tech or 2- give them my number and a tech will call me back when they can. now at this point i have already been on the phone for 4+ hrs so whats 30 more min. i mean i wanted this fixed or at least a date it will be fixed. so i choose option 1 then in disbelief the csr asked me again "are you sure you dont want a call back?" i stated that i would rather hold and told her how long ive been trying to get my problem fixed......then silence i realized i was talking to no one, just figured i must have been disconnected, so i called back and went thru the process of entering my troubleshooting number again then instantly another csr telling me there is a 30 min wait and agian i opt to wait and again i am disconnected, now at this point i was getting rather frustrated it was almost as if they were completly avoiding the issue, so i called agian and one more time same routine and disconnected.....now im just simply irrate so i call back and tell the next csr that i want to go into the waiting queue i dont care how long im on hold and now he told me that he will take my number and a tech will call me back the next morning. i wasnt having that so i told him i want to speak to a tech i dont care how long the wait is, so he finally reluctantly agrees to transfer me to the tech queue to start my wait. at this point i am prepared with phone charger and all to wait out this queue, so he transfers me and within 30sec there is a tech on the phone......amazing!! what happened to the ominous 30 minute wait all the other csr's warned me about, how strange is that.....well now i tell this guy my entire story i dont leave anything out, he instantly transfers me to tier2 tech support, which again i am transfered almost instantly no wait at all....ok now im talking to the tier2 tech at moto. and at first he tried to tell me it was a router problem until i told him i tried 3 different routers same problem. then he tried to tell me it was isp issues until i told him i have tried other networks and isps still same issues. then he tried to tell me that it must be my bluetooth headset interfering so i shut it off....still having issues, then he told me it was because i had a wireless keyboard and mouse,so i shut off everything on my network and every electronic device in my home, and still same issue i even did droid and droid x side by side for him in which the droid blew the droid x out of the water. he then told me to turn off my wireless n transmittion and just go with 802.11b/g it might be faster....i just laughed at him.......so after all this i still called his bulls**t, and at this point i had done some looking around on diff. droid x forums while on hold at different times and realized i wasnt the only one with the problem, so i asked if there are any known issues with the wifi cause i am seeing online that a lot of droid x owners are having the same problem, he responded with motorola is not aware of any significant wifi issues at this point, and i can no longer troubleshoot this issue until you can contact me from a verizon wireless store where i can troubleshoot your phone on a known wifi network thanks for choosing motorola have a great day. and just like that he was done with me..end of call. so after this i was pretty pissed off i so i called verizon to ***** some more and i ended up getting this really cool csr that also has a droid x and is also having the same problem and taking a lot of calls from customers experiencing the same issues but didnt know anything else. so the conclusion i came to was that there is a serious wifi problem with the droid x but in light of the recent iphone4 problem i think motorola is trying to keep a lid on it, because their whole operation just seemed kind of shady to me......so all in all i got about 25 days left on my 30 trial period so that gives motorola about 24 days to fix the wifi or im going back to my droid with BB 2.2 froyo.

07aspenx

Reaction score
I too am having problems with my droid x connecting through wireless N mode. I'm using a Dlink DIR 655 router. I can connect when I toggle the wifi on, but it will disconnect a few seconds later. I've tested on G mode and it works fine with no issue whatsoever. I thought that the update would fix the issue, but it didn't.

TRDirks

Reaction score
FWIW, my wife and I have not had any problems. The set up was easy and it connect on its own when we get within range. I just did a speedtest on mobilespeedtest.com using the 2MB size and got 5575kbps. I switched to 3G and the using the same 2MB size I got 470kbps.

Router: WRT610N
ISP: Atlantic Broadband cable MAX service

Timothy

jake6216

Reaction score
i found a fix!!

yeah i also switched my wireless n off and went with just 802.11b/g for a while and the speed increased to where it should be right around 12mbps but i just didnt like the fact that i had to downgrade my network so i did some lookin around and i dont know why i didnt think of this but i found this post..dont know how i missed it. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...nectivity-unreliable-aes-dlink-dir-655-a.html ......it seemed these guys were experienceing the same issue so i also switched the encryption to wpa -psk TKIP from wpa2-psk AES and it fixed the problem i was having on the wireless n but i am still having connection issues like freezing up and needing to go into settings to connect but my speed is back, i can put up with the little things but not slow wifi. oh and i also downloaded the new update in which those guys in the post that i linked said the update fixed their encryption problem, but still cant use wpa2-aes encryption but oh well at least now i can sleep and keep my droid x...hope this helps, peace

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
jake6216 - You might want to do some paragraph formatting if you expect alot of people to even try and read that long post.

bcso48

Reaction score
Same WiFi Problem

I to am having the same problem as the original poster. I have DSL with wireless N in my home. My laptop has excellent reception but my Droid Xis terrible. I now just turn the WiFi off it seems easier that way. I love the phone other then that so I hope motorola resolves the problem.

mb2k

Reaction score
I too am having problems with my droid x connecting through wireless N mode. I'm using a Dlink DIR 655 router. I can connect when I toggle the wifi on, but it will disconnect a few seconds later. I've tested on G mode and it works fine with no issue whatsoever. I thought that the update would fix the issue, but it didn't.

had the same problem, thought it may have been from having 2 WIFI networks, but sure enough changing my dir655 to b&g only kept a solid connection.

Reaction score
I don't think so. Remember I have no problems with my ipad, iphone, computer, playstation, apple tv.

Not trying to be a pain here, but not one of those devices you mentioned operates on the same platform as the Droid X. While I was at my parent's house, I connected my (at the time) Blackberry to their Linksys a/b/g router with no issues. My Aunt and cousin tried connecting with thier iPod touches and had issues.

I'm curious to know what you have your router configured with... I noticed very similar issues connecting my PS3 via WiFi on a Linksys Wireless N router... When I "degraded" the Router to B/G only, my PS3 no longer had issues.

Since then, I got FiOS which comes with a free G router. Set it up with WPA and moved the PS3 to a wired connectin (more stable for gaming). None of my wireless devices (Droid X, Microsoft Zune, Wireless Bridge for my DVD player, and even tested an iPad, YUCK!) have had issues connecting to the WiFi in my house.

bcso48

Reaction score
Wireless N the problem

Thanks for that insight it makes sense now to me. I have a Links wireless N router and don't think I can down grade it to wireless G. I have friends who have G so I will test it on their systems...George

erniel29

Reaction score
This phone sucks

I just updated to .604 hoping that it would fix this damn 802.11n issue. I have an Apple Time Capsule/Airport router. It is so intermittent that its unusable. Went downstairs and tried it with an older 802.11g network and it worked fine. Unfortunately There is no "G" only mode on this router. Only 2.4ghz N (a/b/g) compatible.

Considering all the hoops I've had to jump through to get this thing to half work properly, I'm really pissed that they would release this overhyped paperweight.

It's going back, and I'll just have to wait for the IPhone to come out on Verizon.