Help connecting to home wifi

nacho220

Reaction score
I am having some trouble connecting to my home wifi network. I am using

WiFi Buddy
WiFinder

I have already set up the network in my settings menu so it is recognizing it from there too. But it keeps asking me to connect after I connect for what seems like a millisecond and then I keep doing it over and over again with no luck. I don't even know how to confirm I am connected. It continues to say 3G at the top. I'm guessing that would change if I am connected to wifi. No one else has any sort of problem connecting to my wifi network if I provide them the key. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

goracer

Reaction score
You can scroll over two screens and tap the WiFi on or
go to settings
wireless & networks
click on WiFi
click on WiFi settings
click to turn on WiFi if not on and checked
click add WiFi network
go to your computer
If you are using Windows 7 then you must set to be discoverable to find PC
(wait, I think the above last step is bluetooth)
you will need the password to connect to the access point (wireless gateway, cable/dsl modem, whatever name you ISP calls it ...but it's still an access point).

This may be easier
when the above is done, exit back to apps.
go to WiFinder (may have to download it)
uncheck show only open AP's
double click on your acccesspoint name to connect
enter the password

if you have problems, look at the list of close networks. you want your channel to be 2 away from others in close range. So if your neighbor's are 6 and 1 then 3 is good. Interference can be caused by 2.4ghz wireless devices (cordless land lines, microwaves, wireless keyboards, etc.).

Double check the name of your accesspoint as all 2Wire's start with 2Wire.

Connect to your access point through your pc and check the wireless settings. is it set to only allow certain MAC's? Is it turned off? Do you need to change the channel?

OP
nacho220

nacho220

Reaction score
I had already followed all those steps prior to posting. My channel is 6, the other one in range is at 3, so I am good there.

What settings do I need to change via my router? This is where it sounds like there is the problem I guess.

Thanks in advance.

OP
nacho220

nacho220

Reaction score
I see something under Wireless>>Wireless MAC Filter
Wireless MAC Filter: Enable Disable

do I change that?

goracer

Reaction score
You just need to check in the wireless tab. Make sure it is enabled. Make sure it is not set to restrict to MAC adress of node (serial # per device kinda). Not time restricted. I'm not at home, so trying to remember but can't.

Do you see your access point in the list on WiFinder? Are you sure you are clicking on the right name?

goracer

Reaction score
Disable MAC filter (otherwise you have to type in the phone's MAC adress)
Sorry Win 7 thing was for bluetooth
I can't remember the other tabs or settings.
make sure it's not time restricted. like only allow connections between 9-5 or something like that. if you want that you can do it later.

goracer

Reaction score
Oh if you have a 2wire box look on the side for the sticker. The accesspoint name and other stuff should be there. The installer may have gave you a paper with the name and password as well.

OP
nacho220

nacho220

Reaction score
yea, access point is there. There are only two to choose from and I connect to the same one on my computer everyday, lol, so I hope I know by now! ha!

It was and is already set to disable MAC filter

so i dunno

OP
nacho220

nacho220

Reaction score
Its allowing everyday use 24 hours a day

OP
nacho220

nacho220

Reaction score
Hmm..well, it looks like this isn't new to many folks out there

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-tech-issues/67555-horrific-wifi-speeds-droid-x-bug.html

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-tech-issues/60617-wifi-woes.html

I didn't read all of the threads, but early on it looks like other people are experiencing the same exact issues. @goracer Thanks for the help here...I'm getting the connection for a few seconds, then disconnected like many others in the above mentioned threads. I see you have the Droid X and have a good grasp on how to connect...sounds like you in fact then aren't having these same issues? Is that correct?

OP
nacho220

nacho220

Reaction score
Well...thats strange. The access point password somehow got wiped out. All I had to do was retype in the network key. Hmmmppph. Sorry for the trouble. ::fingers crossed:: it stays connected.

goracer

Reaction score
ok uhm, there is distance. If it's too far from the access point then it will not connect. It will see it but not connect. Normally you need 2 of the 5 green bars.
You checked the channels and you said on WiFi finder (open networks "un" checked) you only have 2 neworks of which one is yours. Quadruple check with the sticker on the access point that you are choosing hte correct SSID for your access point. Interference would be channel, you said you are 2 away from the neighbor. ok, check to see if it's set to G & N in the access point settings. It could be a security issue like WEP, TKIP, etc.

How about manually?
triangle
settings
wireless & networks
wi-fi settings
add wifi network
- (enter SSID of access point)
- security (X only have 2 choices, WEP or flavor of WPA, enterprise won't work at home)
***you can check on your pc what type of security your connection is set for.
If you do WEP, don't click ad-hoc cause that's more of a point to point then workgroup.
WPA is easier (you can use a word instead of hex ) and more secure (better encryption).

goracer

Reaction score
No trouble, I do tech support at work "lol". No I don't have issues I scan and jump from open wifi to wifi and always connect if within range. Like I said normally it needs 2 bars. I can also control and transfer to my media player.