WiFi Questions (Regarding Router)

plutonium0587

Reaction score
I am having some wifi issues as well. My wifi will NOT sleep even though it is supposed to. After a reboot it connects and works fine. After the phone sleeps and I bring it back up, all of the sudden wifi shows connected but no data anymore. Try to turning wifi on and off and it connects but still no data. Sometimes it does the wifi on/off loop but eventually says obtaining IP and connects... but no data. I have to reboot the phone to get it to work again but then the cycle continues after it sleeps. Driving me crazy! My router is a Buffalo WHR-G125 running DDWRT. I had no problems with this when I first got the phone, just seems like lately. On the router status page I can even see when the phone connects and disconnects as I am turning the wifi on and off, but the data still does not come across.

hyatari

Reaction score
ok so the wifi issue popped back up a few hours after installing my netgear router. i thought the open source firmware was already installed but it was netgears firmware. so i went ahead and flashed tomato firmware and still had some issues after that. finally got it working i think tho as i dont think ive dropped a connection/froze in about 2 days. i think it was a problem with using 40 MHz channel width. i believe that is dual band N mode (link speed up to 300mbps) and mobile devices probably dont support that. so anyways, heres my wifi settings so maybe it will help others:

wireless mode : access point
wireless network mode : auto
channel: auto
channel width : 20MHz
security : wpa2 personal
encryption : tkip/aes

these are in the basic settings tab. i didnt touch any advanced wireless settings.

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
ok so the wifi issue popped back up a few hours after installing my netgear router. i thought the open source firmware was already installed but it was netgears firmware. so i went ahead and flashed tomato firmware and still had some issues after that. finally got it working i think tho as i dont think ive dropped a connection/froze in about 2 days. i think it was a problem with using 40 MHz channel width. i believe that is dual band N mode (link speed up to 300mbps) and mobile devices probably dont support that. so anyways, heres my wifi settings so maybe it will help others:

these are in the basic settings tab. i didnt touch any advanced wireless settings.

Thanks for the updated info - I had assumed the open source was installed by default as well, thanks for clearing that up.

Based on your info I changed my channel from 20/40Mhz Auto to full time 20Mhz, and am getting a solid, seemingly unbreakable connection to my phone from my old router.

Really appears that any hint of 40MHz channel causes the Droid problems...I may go back to my old router (overall stronger signal throughout the house) if this keeps up. :)

A little more testing...best settings appear to be:

Wireless Channel : 1 (used WiFi analyzer to pick the best channel
802.11 Mode : Mixed N and G
Transmission Rate : Best/Automatic
Channel Width : 20Mz
security : wpa personal
Mode: wpa2 only
encryption : tkip

Using AES resulted in hang-up playing video from YouTube...on TKIP played several in a row, HQ, perfectly.

This is pretty cool to work out - the biggest deal appears to be the channel width.

hyatari

Reaction score

Thanks for the updated info - I had assumed the open source was installed by default as well, thanks for clearing that up.

Based on your info I changed my channel from 20/40Mhz Auto to full time 20Mhz, and am getting a solid, seemingly unbreakable connection to my phone from my old router.

Really appears that any hint of 40MHz channel causes the Droid problems...I may go back to my old router (overall stronger signal throughout the house) if this keeps up. :)

Np. I recently saw this article about boosting your wifi transmit power with tomato firmware on lifehacker. Might be a setting on your firmware as well or maybe tomato is compatible on your router too. Here's the article if interested.

http://lifehacker.com/software/router/hack-attack-turn-your-60-router-into-a-600-router-178132.php

plutonium0587

Reaction score
So I switched mine to TKIP only and it works much better now. It doesn't like AES for some reason.

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks...checked, and it was already set to 70, bumped it to 80, and looks like my previous router still has a stronger signal overall.

Gonna play with this a bit and see how it goes, but looks like I may be able to switch back to my previous router - when all is said and done w/new settings it looks like it may perform better.