WiFi = does the device know when you are away from your home internet?

vincezors

Reaction score
WiFi - does the device know when you are away from your home internet?

Say I am at home, streaming a netflix video. It takes no data from my 2GB a month data play with Verizon, because I am using my internet from home (i believe). What if I walk 1 mile away, and try to stream. Will it automatically throw me on the 3G or 4G network, and start using my data from my 2GB? Does it know without me switching a setting?

Last edited:

Beka27

Reaction score
If I understand your question correctly, yes. Once you're out of range of your wifi it should pick up on the Verizon network.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
The phone constantly has a connection (think of it as a bridge) to your wifi when you're at home. Once it's out of the range, it will disconnect and then continue to search for other wifi networks. If you fall out of range and then use the browser or anything requiring data, it will switch to Verizon 3g/4g.

OP
V

vincezors

Reaction score
Nice, thanks for both of your responses. I am coming from an LG phone from 2007, so its good to know what I am getting into :) dummy phone to smarty phone. I am using bionic btw :D Feels good touching screens and moving stuff around. Felt like I warped from the 50s to the 10's.

Beka27

Reaction score
Have fun with it! A year later, i am still amazed at what my phone can do!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
V

vincezors

Reaction score
I have a feeling I will too, Beka! Thanks :D :)