can droid x be my home internet connection?

newoldtymer

Reaction score
I was reading about the Droid X and its 3G mobile hotspot, how it can be associated with up to five wi-fi devices, how it can be hooked up to a tv to stream hi def, etc. etc.

With a Droid X and a Verizon unlimited data plan, can i finally get rid of my at&t dsl and, in effect, make Verizon my home connection to the internet? It seems do-able based upon the phone's specs, but, what I'm asking is, is the data stream good enough that one kid can stream Netflix while another kid is on Facebook while my wife is shopping on Amazon while I am blah blah blah.

In short, what is the true Mbps data transfer rate on the Droid X with a Verizon unlimited data plan?

Thanks for your expertise!

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
i don't know that it would really be as fast as you need and keep in mind that it's actually quite expensive to use the 3g mobile hotspot. it's an additional $20 for something like 5gb and then i think $10 a gig after that. i don't remember the specifics but it aint cheap.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
And I would ask as a fellow Verizon user, if you're considering doing this, please do it under the paid hotspot plan. Rooting and replacing your home internet in the method you are proposing is exactly the kind of thing that kicks the Verizon hornet's nest against rooters and creates issues with data charges and possible lockdowns by Verizon.

Snow02

Reaction score
what I'm asking is, is the data stream good enough that one kid can stream Netflix while another kid is on Facebook while my wife is shopping on Amazon while I am blah blah blah.

No. Average speeds are around 1 mbps.

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
Speed depends on your signal, i usually get about 1.2mb/s

Download the speedtest app and run a test to find out.

Also, don't forget, if you get a call in the middle of all that streaming, its going to come to a halt. Not to mention, you will have to be around for the internet to work, and you'll have to keep your phone plugged in streaming all that data.

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
what I'm asking is, is the data stream good enough that one kid can stream Netflix while another kid is on Facebook while my wife is shopping on Amazon while I am blah blah blah.

In short, what is the true Mbps data transfer rate on the Droid X with a Verizon unlimited data plan?

Thanks for your expertise!

Average speeds are about 2Mbps down and if your lucky 1Mbps up. Your internet will be very slow with multiple users on that connection.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

bmking24

Reaction score

It doesn't work well enough for all those computers..... maybe really 2 or 3 if your lucky. I had enough problems trying it on one computer for a month! If you wanna stream live it isn't too great.... Netflix or any video with a buffer will do OK if you let it load for a minute.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums