1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Didja Know? WiFi Sleeping

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by 640k, Feb 1, 2010.

1. 640k

640k New Member

Did you know there's a setting that will prevent WiFi from sleeping? When WiFi goes to sleep, it can cause data disconnects which may result in "unexpected bahvior" with apps that stream music or connect to chat clients.

home - menu - settings - wireless & networks - wi-fi settings - menu - advanced - wi-fi sleep policy:

you'll have the option to:
    (Sleep) when screen turns off (default)
    Never (sleep) when plugged in
    Never (sleep)
  2. raven1911

raven1911 New Member

Definitely didn't know this. Reset my phone to "Never". No wonder I was having wifi issues.
  3. J*Bishop

J*Bishop New Member

ditto!! thanks for the info 640k!
  4. 640k

640k New Member

DISCLAIMER: I wonder what it does to battery life???
  5. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Premium Member Premium Member

Any info on the power drain when it's set to never if you use it a lot? I just set mine to never while plugged in, but don't wanna set it completely to never, as I keep WiFi on at home most of the time...

What's funny is, I'm pretty sure I looked in here, because I always browse through all settings options when I get a new phone, but I don't know that I clicked on sleep policy.

Thanks!
  6. Jonny Kansas

You jerk...Beat me to it. Maybe I'll try it over my 4-day weekend coming up and report my findings...
  7. 640k

640k New Member

my guess would be that the phone would continually be scanning for wifi spots ALL of the time, which is a HUGE battery drain. i'd say, be prepared for wifi to jump above display in the usage graph.
  8. Jonny Kansas

Scanning, yes, but what if you're connected to a network? It doesn't keep scanning for new ones does it? That would be plain mad...Seems to me like it'd take a bit of extra power for the radio to be running, but as long as you're not sending/receiving copious amounts of data, you think it will be that drastic if connected for the whole time...?

[I really am going to do an experiment with this...]
  9. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

I've always had my setting on this for WiFi and it doesn't seem to affect the battery. And I'm home all day so I'm usually on WiFi.

640K, got a question for you. Is there any advantage to using IP settings (Use Static IP)?
  10. 640k

640k New Member

not sure, but a wifi device on a PC/laptop would still give you updates of connections if your area, so i can only assume that it would still continue to scan.
  11. 640k

640k New Member

advantage: you can open ports, whatever, for your IP in your router, setup a VPN, do network management, etc., etc.

disadvantage: most routers are dhcp. anywhere you go, you'll have to turn that off to connect to "foreign"/public networks.
  12. hypatia

hypatia New Member

I use this together with the "Y5" app to turn off wifi when I'm not near a known access point. "Near" is defined by GPS and/or Cell tower.
  13. jimnutt

jimnutt New Member

You can have the best of both worlds with the right router setup at home. Most routers can be configured to assign a particular IP address to a given MAC address (the MAC address is the unique ID every ethernet|wifi card has). For instance, my router gives my phone the IP address 192.168.1.7 and the host name "droid" every time I connect to it with the phone. That way you can leave the phone using DHCP, which is better if you use random hotspots and still get a fixed ip address.
  14. 640k

640k New Member

but not all routers. i've run across a few that don't allow it. sucks when you're used to it...
  15. Jonny Kansas

Testing battery with wifi always on vs only always on while plugged in.

Ok. Had my phone unplugged for around 12 hours with my wifi sleep policy set to Never while plugged in. For 6 of those hours, I was awake browsing Droid forums occasionally, checking email, searching the market, downloading an app or two.

For the other six, I was asleep, so my phone sat idle.

Now, I've set the wifi sleep policy to never and plugged my phone back in for a little while to reset the battery usage %s.

I'll do my best to use the phone about the same way I did before.

Battery usage of wifi, toggle on, but allowed to sleep when the screen was off was listed at 14% after those 12 hours.

I have a feeling the biggest change will be in the idle time. Any other predictions?
  16. justbob

justbob New Member

Keeping the wifi on all the time shouldn't be a big drain on your battery as long as you have a reasonably good signal from your access point, because the phone doesn't have to turn up the transmitter power to reach out and touch it. We all know that it's the transmitter that chews-up your battery, not the receiver. When not actively using wifi, the only time your phone will transmit is to periodically renegotiate encryption keys or a DHCP lease and each of those transactions are very short (< 10 packets), so in the grand scheme of things the additional drain should be negligible.

Another thing is that the phone will not try and scan for new access points. It only listens for incoming transmissions and will try and associate with ones that it recognizes. It's completely opposite from the way the cellular radio works.
  17. CYBER DROIID

CYBER DROIID New Member

See now this is why I completely love and loath this phone, I learn something new every day. I love learning something new about my phone every day BUT can all this NOT be written down some where geeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzz
  18. Jonny Kansas

@Justbob: Your bottom paragraph is a great point. That was my original question.

So far, after 2hrs 45mins unplugged with wifi set to not sleep and turned on, wifi battery percentage is at 17%. I've done some browsing/posting here, searched the market a bit, and downloaded one app so far. Also used bloo a couple times to check and post on facebook. I THINK that uses wifi when activated. Seems faster with wifi on.

Wifi % use peaked at 20% so far, then was at 19%, then the 17% I've already reported. (Before stating this post, I returned home to check it.)

So far, seems like allowing wifi to stay awake doesn't have much effect on battery!
  19. dtu

dtu New Member

I am curious what this really affects. Mine was set for off when Screen is off. I use my wifi all the time. I will listen to Pandora or podcasts chilling in bed. I will hit the power button to turn off the screen and wifi isn't affected
  20. 640k

640k New Member

pandora buffers, so there's time to switch between networks. the same thing happens as you're driving and sweeping towers. keep your setting in off while sleep and turn off 3G and report back.
Search tags for this page

droid dna wifi sleep

prevent wifi sleep android

sleeping with didja

what wifi frequency does the droid dna talk on?

wifi sleeping