WiFi Connectivity problem?

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
After a couple days, my Droid, and my wife's Eris will not connect to our wireless network. The network shows as an available network, and tries to connect, but times out trying to obtain an IP. Rebooting the router fixes the issue, but the other 2 computers on my network connect with out a problem. Is this a Droid/Eris problem, a router problem, or a little of both?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
There have been alot of users with this same problem....Might want to search to see whats out there...I have not been having this issue with my droid or the wifes Eris...

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Relocated

thread relocated guys. I will be merging this one in a few minutes also

lkevinl

Reaction score
What type of router is this? Could be an issue with the router. Had this happen with my ipod/laptop once... kept on having to reboot my router... finally updated the firmware on the router, problem solved. My router is a Linksys WRT54G.

Reaction score
We have had issues with the Droid since we got our first ones (Nov 6), on several networks with different hardware.

I have the impression the antenna isn't well placed, or the wireless radio was down-costed a little too much. The Droid cannot get a reliable signal in places the HTC devices can.

Consequently, I've never re-booted a router to solve this, but only turned the Droid's WIFI off and back on.

SoftwareForMe.com
Makers of PhoneMyPC
& Imagine Multi-touch

OP
Bob Dammit

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It is a US Robotics MAXg (USR5461). The current firmware version is 3.93.35.0.9 (Jun 5 2008), and US R is not showing an updated version. My Security is WPA2 and WPA (PSK). I am running Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit), but that shouldn't affect the routers performance.

OP
Bob Dammit

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
We have had issues with the Droid since we got our first ones (Nov 6), on several networks with different hardware.

I have the impression the antenna isn't well placed, or the wireless radio was down-costed a little too much. The Droid cannot get a reliable signal in places the HTC devices can.

Thanks for the input, but I am sitting less than 3 feet from the router, and the connectivity issue is with both the HTC and the Moto. I recognize the reception is weak, but finding the network hasnt been a problem, just acquiring an IP..

jersezhustla

Reaction score
I had this problem when I first got my phone. I never had a problem connecting using any of my other phones. I just upgraded my firmware on my router and I was able to connect through my phone.

OP
Bob Dammit

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well, i dont have an updated firmware, so I guess Im going to have to wait until next time it acts up, and see if anyone can help me then.

Olivia

Reaction score
With my previous phone I had problems with it dropping my connection or sometimes not connecting at all. I found that changing the channel on my wireless router did the trick. I have a D-Link wireless router.

No problems so far with the connectivity on the Droid.