Wifes D4 won't take newer ROMs

kireol

Reaction score
Hi,

My wife has a D4. I'm running CM10 from december 2012.

I have SS 3.05 and TWRP 2.2.2.1 on her phone.

Any time I put a new ROM on, I just can't seem to get it to boot up completely.

If I put a new CM nightly or RC on, it will get as far as updating all of the apps, then say it's starting apps. It stays on starting apps and that's it. It never boots up. I've tried rebooting, clearing cache and dalvik, clearing user data. I've tried different ROMs. I even tried installing a newer official rom and it won't boot.

I'm using slot 1.

Any ideas on what I could do?

GigaJake

Reaction score
Update to the latest safestrap (v3.11)
Cyanogenmod - Slot 1
AOKP - Slot 2
Liquid - Slot 3
Ubuntu - Slot 4

Any other rom not specified on that list goes in slot 1. Make sure your stock system has the latest version of busybox installed. Also make sure you're flashing the proper gapps file when installing a rom.

Good luck.

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk 2

OP
K

kireol

Reaction score
Thanks guys!

I'll give that a try tomorrow. Had my wisdom teeth out today and been sleeping all day.

bofis

Reaction score
Update to the latest safestrap (v3.11)
Cyanogenmod - Slot 1
AOKP - Slot 2
Liquid - Slot 3
Ubuntu - Slot 4

Does this mean that you could not use CM in slot 2? I already have Eclipse JB in Slot 1 and wanted to try out CM

GigaJake

Reaction score
Eclipse is not kexec based, so it can be installed on any slot. Follow Kwyrt's instructions.

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk 2

OP
K

kireol

Reaction score
updated SS to 3.11

Same thing happens on slot 1.

cm-10.1-20130612-NIGHTLY-maserati
+
gapps-jb-20130301-signed

(also tried gapps-jb-20130615-signed)

=

gets as far as starting apps. Then never moves on beyond there.

Phone runs a few month old CM just fine.

Any ideas what I could try next?

Last edited:
OP
K

kireol

Reaction score
Another update.

installed on slot 3:

Liquid-JB-v2.9-07-21-2013-maserati
+
gapps-jb-20130615-signed

= keeps repeating boot animation for 30 minutes. I assumed it would never boot completely and restored her older CM10 backup.

kwyrt

Reaction score
updated SS to 3.11 Same thing happens on slot 1. cm-10.1-20130612-NIGHTLY-maserati + gapps-jb-20130301-signed (also tried gapps-jb-20130615-signed) = gets as far as starting apps. Then never moves on beyond there. Phone runs a few month old CM just fine. Any ideas what I could try next?
Have you tried wiping system before installing? You could also try deleting and recreating the ROM slot.

bofis

Reaction score
Eclipse is not kexec based, so it can be installed on any slot. Follow Kwyrt's instructions.

Great, but can you install it into Slot2 without anything in Slot1 as long as it's set to boot from Slot2? I'm moving over to a FRUed replacement and wanted to first setup Eclipse, so might as well put it into Slot2 to leave Slot1 free for rom playing purposes...

OP
K

kireol

Reaction score
Have you tried wiping system before installing? You could also try deleting and recreating the ROM slot.

I tried that last night.

Deleted slot 1.

Created slot 3. Tried liquid. It was stuck on the boot animation for 30 minutes before I gave up.

I deleted slot 3.

created a new slot 1, even tried with a different partition size this time just to try something different.

Still can only get her old CM to boot.