Wi-Fi stopped working - Droid Pro

Myric

Reaction score
Hi! Had my Droid Pro for a couple months now, and just about an hour ago I was listening to a song on it and the phone shut down, turned back on, shut down again, and when it came back on the Wi-Fi wouldn't work. When I got to the Wi-Fi menu it says "ERROR" and won't let me click to turn it on. I've shut down and restarted the phone several times. Everything else is working, but the Wi-Fi is not. Any thoughts?

Myric

dancedroid

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sounds like some kind of driver issue. Are you rooted?

I would save everything you have/need and try a factory reset.

I'd wait for a few more opinions, but I have a feeling thats going to be the first step.

OP
M

Myric

Reaction score
Not rooted.

How do I save my programs, and how do I do a factory reset? And I'll wait for a few more opinions, as well.

Thanks!

Prairie Smoke

Reaction score
Try an app called File Expert. It is an explorer, wifi file access and will back up your apps.

DroidToro

Reaction score
Lots of people recommend titanium backup. I got the paid version. It has worked well for me in restoring apps, and even reverting to a previous version, but i have never used it for full system restore

Sent from my DROID PRO

OP
M

Myric

Reaction score
So I got file expert. Now what do I do to restore my system? Ideally, I'd still rather see if there's another fix out there for my Wi-Fi - the toggle is still cycling trying to turn it on, and I can't get it to stop doing that.

This is irritating because the reason I got the Droid Pro was that I spent so much time on this forum trying to fix my Droid 1 for all the problems it ran into. If this keeps up I might just go back to a dumb phone.

Reaction score
To use titanium backup you need to be rooted.. It's very easy to root because there are programs to do it for you. Z4root and Universal Androot are the most widely known and I think z4root works for your phone. It won't harm your phone to try it. If you need more information on them just google it. And you can get both of those .apks from ***********

Oh, to factory reset go into your settings and it's in one of those choices. If that doesn't work for fixing your wifi then you will need to find the package to do a firmware update thing. For my phone it's called UPDATA.APP and it's a to do a complete factory reset. Even if you delete system apps it'll restore them.

Sorry for my long and maybe not needed comment. But I hope it helps.

Sent from my M860 using DroidForums App

OP
M

Myric

Reaction score
Is it possible to do all that with File Expert? I don't want to root my phone right now, and I want to do a factory reset, but I don't want to have to re-download all my apps. I've backed them up on File Expert already - how would I proceed from there?

OP
M

Myric

Reaction score
I did a factory reset and the Wi-Fi still isn't working. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Hopefully I'll be able to get all my apps back. >:eek:(

Any other thoughts? I don't want to have to return the phone or send it out to get fixed.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
I did a factory reset and the Wi-Fi still isn't working. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Hopefully I'll be able to get all my apps back. >:eek:(

Any other thoughts? I don't want to have to return the phone or send it out to get fixed.
Try this...put your phone in airplane mode and leave it there for a minute or two... then turn airplane mode off. I know...sounds crazy...try it.

OP
M

Myric

Reaction score
Nothing. Widget still shows the "searching" symbol, and when I go to do it manually it says ERROR when I click the box.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a visit to vzw is in order.

Sent from my GimpDroid (Installed by RZR).

OP
M

Myric

Reaction score
Just got back. They are sending me a new phone. Thanks to everyone for your advice! I always learn something valuable on this site.