Auto on/off Wi-fi APP

rbres15

Reaction score
Is there an app that automatically turns off your wi-fi when the phone senses there is none there, and turns it back on when it finds a wi-fi source.

I currently have auto-wi-fi on, but all that seems to do is alert me that wi-fi is available, it doesn't actually shut off my wi-fi when i leave a wi-fi source.

elcompaLalo

Reaction score
Check out an app called Llama. It might be able to help you out.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
Your wifi only comes on for a short period every so often to check for a signal, its not running 24/7 when its not connected.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
R

rbres15

Reaction score
i was thinking it would drain my battery if it was left on. are you saying it more or less shuts off by itself if it cant find a wi-fi source?

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
why not just use the power control widget or a wifi widget on the homescreen to turn it off.

by default when the phone is not connected to a wifi network it scans for wifi connections every 15 seconds so if your going to be out of a wifi area i would reccomend turning it off. if your using a custom rom most of those have the scan interval changed to 90 or 120 seconds.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
i was thinking it would drain my battery if it was left on. are you saying it more or less shuts off by itself if it cant find a wi-fi source?
I leave WiFI on. It does not drain my battery. If in doubt, do some real world testing for yourself.

Also, search/Google "WiFi sleep policy".

Is there an app that automatically turns off your wi-fi when the phone senses there is none there, and turns it back on when it finds a wi-fi source.
It can't "sense" that WiFi is there without actually turning on WiFi. It would have periodically check. Set the interval too frequent and you might adversely affect battery life.

Last edited: