Why so much invective against Apple products?

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
On a pro-Android site, you're likely to get a lot of reasons... here are mine.

Apple uses their own proprietary version of Torx screws on their products to prevent consumers from getting into their devices. This means you can't replace the battery on your own; nor can you replace the micro SD cards to increase your capacity (partly so Apple can create the illusion of a tiered pricing structure). You can buy these custom screwdrivers online, but you can bet Apple isn't happy about it.

Apple is one of the most litigious tech companies; in all fairness, they have done a great deal to spearhead existing tech to better fit consumer needs (especially on the tablet front), though I wouldn't go so far as to say all their patents are "innovative". Both Google and Apple (heck, ALL large companies) have ignored patents to further their business, though both Fandroids and Mactards refuse to admit it.

Unlike Microsoft, Apple isn't suing Android manufacturers to get licensing money... they're suing to prevent other companies from selling competing devices. More than words, this anti-competitive behavior shows how bitter and afraid they are of Android's growth, despite their bragging about how iOS is a superior platform.

Particularly disgusting, considering how Apple used to be the underdog, and has now become the litigious behemoth they used to stand against.

One more reason: Google has been coaxing its partners into unlocking their phones for custom firmware development, and many have agreed. By contrast, Apple threatens to sue jailbreakers to the fullest extent of the law.

I think Apple's staff is 50% engineers, 50% lawyers.

One of the things that I hate about Apple is that for all of their whining about how Microsoft would bully the competition out of the market or sue them into oblivion, Apple has taken up doing the exact same thing.

I also don't like how they tell their customers what they want in features, not let the market tell them. An example is MMS texts. For two years, every smartphone or even cheap flip-phone could snap a pic and send it to a friend's phone via text.

Not Apple. The "most powerful smartphone on the planet" could not do that simple task, because Apple felt that "email was the superior method". Even though their customers clamoured for it and it was pretty much an industry standard for 2 years. Sending via email is fine if the other person is sitting at their PC or has a smartphone with email, but so many people didn't. So if I took a quick pic of something on my bike and wanted send the pic to my mechanic's phone to ask him if I had it installed right, I couldn't do that.

Lots of little things like that, where they intentionally hold back basic features that people want and other companies offer, all so that they can sell you an app or release it next year as an upgrade, thus allowing you to do the things that the stupid phone should have done out of the box from day 1.

I also don't like the smug attitude of Apple fans and their TV commercials... The "if you don't have an iPhone, well, you don't have an iPhone"... It actually irritates me and has me saying to the TV screen, "No, I don't have an iPhone, so I can complete my calls. I don't need a magnifying glass to watch a movie on a postage stame sized screen. I can do what I want with my phone, change the battery, add more memory, have features added without having to ask Steve Jobs for permission."

So no, I no longer have an iPhone, because I upgraded to something better. LOL

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
^I forgot about the MMS thing...lol.

Wasnt there something where it didnt have emoticons to for a minute? That was stock on some other phones.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Everyone complains about the way they run their business but apparently there doing something right since they are the largest phone company in the world.

not just the largest smartphone company but the largest of all phone manufacturers.

they are also the second largest company in the world... second only by a small margin to Exxon Mobil.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
^I forgot about the MMS thing...lol.

Wasnt there something where it didnt have emoticons to for a minute? That was stock on some other phones.

Not sure, all I know was that Apple was 2 years behind on that one, by choice.

Even now, half the web video content on the web is Flash, and Steve Jobs has said Apple will not support it unless it is over his dead body. He has some personal gripe with Adobe, and so millions of iPhone users get to enjoy half of their web pages with large blank sections with a red X on them where the video is supposed to be.

Jobs seems to think that he can bend the market to his vision of it. He tried it with the computer, and failed utterly. If not for the iPod and then the iPhone, there might not even be a Mac today. They had a tiny marketshare and what was once their stronghold, the graphic design market, was shrinking fast and losing to PC's. The iPod helped save that company, and the iPhone to.

I give them credit where credit is due, but Steve's close minded attitude that he will define the market, never seems to pan out. He had a chance with the iPhone, but the iPhone has fallen behind. Android in only a few years has grabbed almost 50% of the entire global market, and will take another double digit bite this year. Apple had a head start witht he iPad, but watch the Droid tabs catch up and blow by them as they did in the smart phone arena.

We know what a better phone is. We know what features we want and expect.

We don't need some company trying to convince us that we want less features or less options simply because that is all that they are equiped to deliver to us.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Everyone complains about the way they run their business but apparently there doing something right since they are the largest phone company in the world.

not just the largest smartphone company but the largest of all phone manufacturers.

they are also the second largest company in the world... second only by a small margin to Exxon Mobil.

Umm, they are not even in the top 100, let alone #2. Just checked the Global 500, they were number 109.

Impressive, sure, but hardly the second largest company in the world. Did you get that from the MacRumors forum? ;-)

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score

Yea they are doing something right....its just not right to me or for me...lol. Their goal is to make a profit, no one is denying they havnt done a good job at that.

Android and Win Mo, WP7 fits me more than an iPhone, A Mac doesnt fit me, but an iPhone, a Mac, an iPad fits many ppl out there.

I'm just glad to have choices....of phones, what I do/dont wanna see on the web, carriers...

I'm glad I didnt have to go to AT&T just to get a halfway decent smart phone in 2009.

Apple and Google have two different goals when it comes to phones.....and they are both winning...

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score

Umm, they are not even in the top 100, let alone #2. Just checked the Global 500, they were number 109.

Impressive, sure, but hardly the second largest company in the world. Did you get that from the MacRumors forum? ;-)

lol no it came from Google new, WSJ, FOX, Bloomberg, and im sure more have reported it.

okay let me rephrase what i said. they are the second largest company in the world in terms of market share.

AFP: Apple tops PetroChina in market capitalization

Apple Passes PetroChina to Become Second-Largest Stock - Bloomberg

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score

lol no it came from Google new, WSJ, FOX, Bloomberg, and im sure more have reported it.

okay let me rephrase what i said. they are the second largest company in the world in terms of market share.

AFP: Apple tops PetroChina in market capitalization

Apple Passes PetroChina to Become Second-Largest Stock - Bloomberg

Not marketshare, market value.

Yes, a lot of people invest in their stock and they are a very profitable company and investment.

Despite having a second-rate phone... ;-)

Eddieboy

Reaction score
I just don't like hypes, and the iPhone was definitely a hype from the start. After seeing approximately one million hipsters walking around sporting their stupid iPhones, I swore I would not belong to that group of people. Ever.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just don't like hypes, and the iPhone was definitely a hype from the start. After seeing approximately one million hipsters walking around sporting their stupid iPhones, I swore I would not belong to that group of people. Ever.

To be fair, it *was* the smartphone to have back in the day. There was nothing else like it, even if Apple did make a few blunders with it.