ITC Rules Against HTC in Apple Patent Infringement Suit; HTC Vows to Fight Back

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Jul 18, 2011.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,608
    [​IMG]

Recently, Apple filed a patent infringement case against HTC with the U.S. International Trade Commission regarding four (reduced from Apple's original ten) alleged patent infringements. Late last week the ITC ruled in favor of Apple regarding two of the patents. This has broader implications for the entire Android lineup of products with multiple different Android manufacturers. Luckily, this is only the first phase of the process. This "initial determination" will now go to a review by a six-member Commission.

HTC just released a statement vowing to fight this ruling. Here is a quote from HTC’s general counsel, Grace Lei,
    The patent's that the ITC ruled against are No. 5,946,647, a “system and method for performing an action on a structure in computer-generated data,” and No. 6,343,263, a “real-time signal processing system for serially transmitted data.” Both of these patents are fundamental to the core of how the Android functions, and are rather broad in scope. These two patents are also the same ones linked to Apple's similar case filed against Motorola currently. The SlashGear article also indicated "that a worst-case scenario could result in an import ban against not only HTC Android products but many other Android devices. Another possible outcome is that HTC would have to remove certain functionality from its devices and in turn degrade the quality of its products."

Furthermore, Apple has made it clear that they are unlikely to offer any type of patent licensing deals like Microsoft does currently. This would leave HTC with no recourse but to stop selling their Android lineup until they can modify them. HTC shares tumbled on Wall Street at this news. It seems that HTC's comment last week “that Apple has resorted to competition in the courts rather than the market place”, is looking more accurate every day.

Source: Android.net via SlashGear
  2. BGKris

BGKris Member

Ratings:
    +0
    And that's why I will NEVER own a apple product. Plus I never liked apple to begin with, this just seals my hatred for them even more. :)
  3. TheTyler0013

TheTyler0013 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I dont think it will affect android to much, because once it stars to Google will get involved. and then hell will break loose.
  4. czerdrill

czerdrill Silver Member

Ratings:
    +12
    doubtful, Google has not backed up the OEMs at all in any of these suits. They're just sitting back and collecting money (and getting sued themselves of course haha)
  5. Immolate

Immolate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This is a dangerous game Apple is playing. Their home team won't always control the administrative branch, and payback is... well you know.
  6. Hawaiian Princess

Hawaiian Princess Moderator

Ratings:
    +13
    Exactly! Why don't we all just sit back and enjoy the ride. But then again...ugh
  7. czerdrill

czerdrill Silver Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Well no. It's a legal process. Apple may be wrong for being sue happy (although I think they're just protecting themselves), but it's not Apple who makes the final decision on the outcome of the case.

Every company has the right to sue whoever they want, but it's up to the courts to decide. So the "game" that's being played is irrelevant, as a case that had no merit would be thrown out.

The fact that HTC was ruled against says the case had merit and the appeal is pretty much automatic, so December 6th we'll see what happens.
  8. TheTyler0013

TheTyler0013 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    apple is just angry that iPhone sucks.

Android my be getting wounded a tad but the war is far from over. Android gets better each day.
  9. DroidXDoes4G

DroidXDoes4G Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Apple pisses me off. I don't see why anyone would want an iPhone.

Everything I hear is about Apple suing someone.

I mean really, while Samsung/HTC/Samsung are working on unlocking there phones, Apple is working there ass off to lock there crap down even more than it already is.

Hopefully they don't allow the suing happy Apple to get away with all of this.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
  10. DroidXDoes4G

DroidXDoes4G Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I meant Samsung/HTC/Moto.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
  11. OneTenderRebel

OneTenderRebel Silver Member

Ratings:
    +63
    “If you go parachuting and your parachute doesn't open and your friends are all watching you fall, I think a funny gag would be to pretend you were swimming.”