ITC Rules Against HTC in Apple Patent Infringement Suit; HTC Vows to Fight Back

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
htc_sensation_review_sg_1.jpg

Recently, Apple filed a patent infringement case against HTC with the U.S. International Trade Commission regarding four (reduced from Apple's original ten) alleged patent infringements. Late last week the ITC ruled in favor of Apple regarding two of the patents. This has broader implications for the entire Android lineup of products with multiple different Android manufacturers. Luckily, this is only the first phase of the process. This "initial determination" will now go to a review by a six-member Commission.

HTC just released a statement vowing to fight this ruling. Here is a quote from HTC’s general counsel, Grace Lei,
We are highly confident we have a strong case for the ITC appeals process and are fully prepared to defend ourselves using all means possible. We strongly believe we have alternate solutions in place for the issues raised by Apple. We look forward to resolving this case, so we can continue creating the most innovative mobile experiences for consumers.”
The patent's that the ITC ruled against are No. 5,946,647, a “system and method for performing an action on a structure in computer-generated data,” and No. 6,343,263, a “real-time signal processing system for serially transmitted data.” Both of these patents are fundamental to the core of how the Android functions, and are rather broad in scope. These two patents are also the same ones linked to Apple's similar case filed against Motorola currently. The SlashGear article also indicated "that a worst-case scenario could result in an import ban against not only HTC Android products but many other Android devices. Another possible outcome is that HTC would have to remove certain functionality from its devices and in turn degrade the quality of its products."

Furthermore, Apple has made it clear that they are unlikely to offer any type of patent licensing deals like Microsoft does currently. This would leave HTC with no recourse but to stop selling their Android lineup until they can modify them. HTC shares tumbled on Wall Street at this news. It seems that HTC's comment last week “that Apple has resorted to competition in the courts rather than the market place”, is looking more accurate every day.

Source: Android.net via SlashGear

BGKris

Reaction score
And that's why I will NEVER own a apple product. Plus I never liked apple to begin with, this just seals my hatred for them even more. :)

TheTyler0013

Reaction score
I dont think it will affect android to much, because once it stars to Google will get involved. and then hell will break loose.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I dont think it will affect android to much, because once it stars to Google will get involved. and then hell will break loose.

doubtful, Google has not backed up the OEMs at all in any of these suits. They're just sitting back and collecting money (and getting sued themselves of course haha)

Immolate

Reaction score
This is a dangerous game Apple is playing. Their home team won't always control the administrative branch, and payback is... well you know.

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score

doubtful, Google has not backed up the OEMs at all in any of these suits. They're just sitting back and collecting money (and getting sued themselves of course haha)

Exactly! Why don't we all just sit back and enjoy the ride. But then again...ugh

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is a dangerous game Apple is playing. Their home team won't always control the administrative branch, and payback is... well you know.

Well no. It's a legal process. Apple may be wrong for being sue happy (although I think they're just protecting themselves), but it's not Apple who makes the final decision on the outcome of the case.

Every company has the right to sue whoever they want, but it's up to the courts to decide. So the "game" that's being played is irrelevant, as a case that had no merit would be thrown out.

The fact that HTC was ruled against says the case had merit and the appeal is pretty much automatic, so December 6th we'll see what happens.

TheTyler0013

Reaction score
apple is just angry that iPhone sucks.

Android my be getting wounded a tad but the war is far from over. Android gets better each day.

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
apple is just angry that iPhone sucks.

Android my be getting wounded a tad but the war is far from over. Android gets better each day.

Apple pisses me off. I don't see why anyone would want an iPhone.

Everything I hear is about Apple suing someone.

I mean really, while Samsung/HTC/Samsung are working on unlocking there phones, Apple is working there ass off to lock there crap down even more than it already is.

Hopefully they don't allow the suing happy Apple to get away with all of this.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
“If you go parachuting and your parachute doesn't open and your friends are all watching you fall, I think a funny gag would be to pretend you were swimming.”