Why is the boot sound so low?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Actually, MattyP is spot on. Motorola reduced the volume on the OGG file for the boot sound because apparently it was complained about enough that they felt it was necessary.

If you are rooted, you can
  1. Download droidhd.ogg (an amplified OGG file of the boot animation sound)
  2. Then using a root enabled file manager, such as Root Explorer, go to the folder where the file was stored (/sdcard/download).

Note: If you want to retain the quieter version, first rename this downloaded file to droidhd.og2.
  3. Then select the file and move or copy it to the root folder /system/media.
  4. Next, make sure you are in the mode which allows writing to the folder. In Root Explorer you press on the top right corner of the screen where it says "Mount R/O", and change to "Mount R/W".
  5. Now paste the droidhd.ogg (or .og2) to the folder.

Note: If you are interested in preserving the original quieter version, find the file droidhd.ogg in that folder and rename it droidhd.og1, then rename droidhd.og2 to droidhd.ogg.
  6. Finally, change the file permissions for the droidhd.ogg file to rw-r--r--
  7. Reboot and enjoy.
This information and the link for the file came from another forum, though I am not totally sure I can link to it so I copied, cleared up the instructions and posted here for your benefit.

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
Its low so it doesn't interrupt your meeting when it randomly reboots by itself.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Droid Forums

This is the reason...thanks to tbolt...lol lots of complaints. Actually had a guy, in a big time meeting worth many thousands of dollars and his new phone did the original tbolt boot sound at its original release volume and the guy had to sweat bullets as everyone looked at him. He surely made a valid complaint. I would've been pissed...lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
FoxKat, once again you astound the masses. :hail:

Although I kinda wanted to dig out the file and amplify it in Wave Lab and see if it would work, but that seems like alot less work LMAO :D

OP
jtc303

jtc303

Reaction score
FoxKat said:
Actually, MattyP is spot on. Motorola reduced the volume on the OGG file for the boot sound because apparently it was complained about enough that they felt it was necessary.

If you are rooted, you can

[*]Download droidhd.ogg (an amplified OGG file of the boot animation sound)
[*]Then using a root enabled file manager, such as Root Explorer, go to the folder where the file was stored (/sdcard/download).

Note: If you want to retain the quieter version, first rename this downloaded file to droidhd.og2.
[*]Then select the file and move or copy it to the root folder /system/media.
[*]Next, make sure you are in the mode which allows writing to the folder. In Root Explorer you press on the top right corner of the screen where it says "Mount R/O", and change to "Mount R/W".
[*]Now paste the droidhd.ogg (or .og2) to the folder.

Note: If you are interested in preserving the original quieter version, find the file droidhd.ogg in that folder and rename it droidhd.og1, then rename droidhd.og2 to droidhd.ogg.
[*]Finally, change the file permissions for the droidhd.ogg file to rw-r--r--
[*]Reboot and enjoy.

This information and the link for the file came from another forum, though I am not totally sure I can link to it so I copied, cleared up the instructions and posted here for your benefit.

Wow...thanks a lot you are a credit to droiders everywhere!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
AND I CAN CONFIRM THAT IT WORKS!!!! LMAO dancedroid :icon_ devil: :hail:

There's that w word again.... shhhhhhhh!!! :)

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
There's that w word again.... shhhhhhhh!!! :)

I was using that word in the functional sense, not in the Moderator sense. There's a difference. :rofl2:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I was using that word in the functional sense, not in the Moderator sense. There's a difference. :rofl2:

Lmao, in either sense.. STOP IT!!! :p

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
This is the reason...thanks to tbolt...lol lots of complaints. Actually had a guy, in a big time meeting worth many thousands of dollars and his new phone did the original tbolt boot sound at its original release volume and the guy had to sweat bullets as everyone looked at him. He surely made a valid complaint. I would've been pissed...lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

This is correct AFAIK. I do remember a more elaborate explanation but the same basic facts.

bacK_N_87

Reaction score
Does anyone know where the freakin file is to stop my razr from going to the web every single time I connect to my computer?

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Does anyone know where the freakin file is to stop my razr from going to the web every single time I connect to my computer?

Find the Motorola icon on your tool bar. Right click on it, where it says "when device connects" click "do nothing" :)