Why I returned my Ipad and why Android tablets might fail

cpjr

Reaction score
I guess if autoCAD is the absolute only thing you use a computer for, then a tablet would be useless, lol. I run 2 companies and couldn't do it on a tablet....but there is a lot I can do with the tablet, both work and play.

PS- tablets and phones will NEVER be as powerful as a desktop, obviously, because of the form factor, a larger desktop will always be able to pack more.

In the future, however, will a desktop NEED to be on a desktop?
Dun dun dun....

No, but more on-topic, I was referring to the desktops of today.

True smaller devices like a tablet could become as powerful as a desktop of today...in the future...........but then that would mean a desktop in the future would be that much more powerful and programs like autoCAD (for example) will grow with the capabilities of the hardware ;)

OP
patfactorx

patfactorx

Reaction score
But also, dannngg the Ipad resolution sucks. I can literally see pixels at all times and I have less than 20/20 vision.

lejiii

Reaction score
My husband got an ipad for Christmas. He's attached and it's useful for him at work. Me on the other hand, I only use it for a quick internet search, quick facebook check, and an app now and then.

We had a sonic view g tablet and returned it. Very unimpressed.

I'd rather use my netbook over the ipad for long periods of time, or desktop. I only see buying another tablet when it's more capable of what my netbook/laptop/pc can do, which I don't see coming anytime soon.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
You are right, the gtablet IS junk out of the box, but thats all about the stock ROM... there are several very solid and very good roms that make more that worth the money. FAST and reliable... get it back, root it and have fun. It'll make you glad you did.dancedroid

cpjr

Reaction score
But also, dannngg the Ipad resolution sucks. I can literally see pixels at all times and I have less than 20/20 vision.

Sounds like you got a bad one, mine looks great. And it will get much better, this is a first gen device. If they use the tech from the iPhone4 screen, the picture will be amazing.

OP
patfactorx

patfactorx

Reaction score
The Ipad 2 is rumored to have the same screen resolution btw.

But I am glad that the Xoom will be higher, not sure how nice the reading will be on that

carguy

Reaction score
Well, since the iPad was released it's sold millions......obviously a lot of people feel differently....there is quite a use for them. And sales for the galaxy tab have been good also.

I think tablet sales will continue to rise and laptop sales will go down....
x2

It's OK to not want a tablet, there are many people out there who do :cool:

Darkseider

Reaction score
My Viewsonic GTab has taken over all operations from my netbook. My kids 2 of the 3 got Archos 101/8 tablets for Christmas and love them. Their laptop/desktop usage has decreased to near nothing since they received them. So once tablets beef up a little more, Honeycomb on a Tegra 2, then I can say that laptops/netbooks may very well go the way of the dinosaur in a couple of years.

turdbogls

Reaction score
in all honesty, there isn't much (if anything) that my tablet can do that my phone can't do. Tablets are cool, but they really arent THAT practical if you think about it. they are just large version of our phones. completely un-necessary, but for some reason they sell like hot cakes. sure, 90% of the time i would be just fine useing my phone or a tablet, but there will never be a true replacement of a physical keyboard and mouse for the stuff i do. if i had to "Swype" out as many e-mails as i have to on my PC every day, i would go nuts, plus the actual work i do (AUTO-CAD/Pro-E Drafter) would be a total PITA without mouse and keyboard.

sure when i get home, a tablet would be nice, but to have to carry that, and a phone around would be pointless. a 4.3" screen is plenty to answer some e-mails, do some web browsing, online banking, ect.

with all that being said, i use a Rooted Nook Color all the time.....but i am a tech-junkie so i find the same stuff i can get on my phone on a larger screen is just more fun :) and i think that mentality is why they are becoming so popular.

bL33d

Reaction score
Me and my wife use the hell out of are ipad i jailbroke mine ofcourse and use it for voip calls and gaming and web browsing and music. Its pretty awesome imo and from the numbers apple spit out it sold damn well also.

Apple Sold 16.24 Million iPhones, 7.33 Million iPads, 19.45 Million iPods and Made $26.74 Billion Revenue [Q1 2011 Results]

Sounds like you got a bad one, mine looks great. And it will get much better, this is a first gen device. If they use the tech from the iPhone4 screen, the picture will be amazing.

Sounds like ur running iphone apps on the ipad? There is a program on cydia that enables retina on the ipad for iphone apps makes them look VERY crisp.

Last edited:

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
It cannot replace a desktop - I need a real keyboard and I use three screens. I need the power and multitasking of a real computer.

I've played with IPad's and while I would take one for free I'd never buy one. My Droid does everything I need.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Keep the language clean. bl33d, please edit your post so nobody takes offense. Thank you.

A tablet is not a PC replacement. It's not even a laptop replacement. It's a tablet. Do not expect quad-core desktop CPU performance out of a single-core mobile CPU. Do not expect PC-level flexibility out of iOS or even Android. Do not expect to have the same ability to do things with 512MB of RAM that you can do with 4GB.

Bilgediver

Reaction score
Totally agreed furberaingmammal. I didn't get my tablet expecting it to replace my 17.1" Clevo D901c laptop, with its graphics and processing capabilities. I got it mainly to have a portable media player that also doubles as a portable internet device that can read books and play some basic games to pass the time. It was perfect for my flight cross country.

Of course I have the 250 gb Archos 70 internet tablet, so the PMP aspect of it was the deal breaker for me anyway.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

Anathema

Reaction score
Until tablets come with functions that laptops have like DVD/BD drive, USB, broad software support, I don't see much use for them outside of a toy. I'd love to have a tablet that I could run autoCAD or photoshop or something else like that on it :)

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

This is not directed at you, I just picked this post because it seems to be a fairly common response that I have run into when talking about the Tablets.

It's really that important to have a DVD/BD drive and USB drive? I could understand a USB drive but most things are moving away from hard date (something you can hold like a DVD). It takes space, they can break/scratch ect. Now data transfering is still in the stone ages so a USB drive is most effecient on that front and I agree is a major downfall to these tablets. But honestly I want to see these newers devices move AWAY from those needs, not fall back on them because people are too slow to adapt.

The lack of multi-tasking support and pretty weak specs are the main reason i don't own one yet.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Tablets are built to be cloud devices, mostly, and as such are not primary access devices, much like our cellphones (which can be thought of as mini-tablets without much stretch) are not primary access devices for the majority of people. A full-sized keyboard is much easier to enter large quantities of data on. A 21-inch LCD monitor is a lot easier to edit graphics on. 4GB of RAM is easier to work with. 500GB of storage speaks for itself. :)

OP
patfactorx

patfactorx

Reaction score
for the price of some tablets right now they should be expected to be full computers