Why I returned my Ipad and why Android tablets might fail

Discussion in 'Droid Forums Member News Depot' started by patfactorx, Jan 1, 2011.

1. patfactorx

patfactorx Member

Its been said before but isn't a tablet like a netbook without a keyboard that can't video out and a phone that can't make phone calls? Also most of these tablets have half the resolution and viewing angle of my laptop.

I just couldn't find a use case for my Ipad and I don't see Android tablets gaining mass adoption unless the price gets under $200 for a nicely built tablet with nice resolution. If it gets around Ipod touch prices then people will treat it like a mp3 player.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App
  2. cpjr

cpjr New Member

Well, since the iPad was released it's sold millions......obviously a lot of people feel differently....there is quite a use for them. And sales for the galaxy tab have been good also.

I think tablet sales will continue to rise and laptop sales will go down....
  3. Wuzz Ranger

Wuzz Ranger New Member

Laptops are going to be the VCR of the late 80's early 90's.
  4. bodean

bodean New Member

Those who do their homework prior to making purchases, don't run into issues like this.
  5. cpjr

cpjr New Member

I have a 13in MacBook pro and an iPad.

I use the ipad 99% of the time and only pickup the MacBook for tasks that require a USB connection or DVD rom, etc.
  6. mcadam

mcadam New Member

This. Laptop for USB and Flash. That's it.

iPad does everything else well.
  7. steven.rn

steven.rn New Member

The direction of the overall evolution is clear- the devices will grow ever faster, ever easier to carry, more and more cloud connected... like someday it'll be a sheet of paper you unfold and then it stiffens flat, etc... way, way down the road it will all be bio implants that give you a virtual field of vision I spose, connected to the net transponder implants... this is gonna be one wild ride.

Oh... s'cuse me, my ADD kicked in ;-)
  8. steven.rn

steven.rn New Member

I'm sure it does but I won't buy one til it has a usb, a front facing camera,
    and let's see... oh, yah, an android OS :rockon:

(just kidding... no apple hater here.. nothing to see folks... move along :))
  9. Big Ry

Big Ry New Member

Until tablets come with functions that laptops have like DVD/BD drive, USB, broad software support, I don't see much use for them outside of a toy. I'd love to have a tablet that I could run autoCAD or photoshop or something else like that on it :)

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
  10. Malvado

Malvado DF News Team/Mod Premium Member

I personally stick with laptop...why, because its not like tablets have the ability to install software I consider useful in my career. I am a graphics designer and video editor..I see tablets as play toys

Sent from my DROID2
  11. Larry_ThaGr81

Larry_ThaGr81 New Member

I think that might be too much of a drain on resources like the battery. Sure you can plug up the tablet, but you might as well be using a netbook or laptop if that's the case. :)
  12. xojunexobugxo

xojunexobugxo New Member

My husband got an ipad for Christmas. He's attached and it's useful for him at work. Me on the other hand, I only use it for a quick internet search, quick facebook check, and an app now and then.

We had a sonic view g tablet and returned it. Very unimpressed.

I'd rather use my netbook over the ipad for long periods of time, or desktop. I only see buying another tablet when it's more capable of what my netbook/laptop/pc can do, which I don't see coming anytime soon.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
  13. veeedubn

veeedubn New Member

I bought an ipad thinking I would use it more than I did, I took mine back. Its deff not for everyone but tons of people like it and have a million uses for it.
  14. moviemogul

moviemogul New Member

Love my iPad.
  15. pugger

pugger New Member

I bought a ipad and returned it also. I have a 13 inch macbook and once I started using the ipad I couldn't put it down. Problem was I couldn't justify having a $1000 laptop sitting around collecting dust. If I could sell my macbook I may get a ipad 2.
  16. Chris-pee

Chris-pee New Member

Since I got my tablet, the pc rarely gets used.
  17. astevens54

astevens54 New Member

I just bought 2 g-Tablets from ViewSonic. The could not bring myself to buy an iPad as good of a product it is I cannot stand Apple. The gtab was terrible out of the box, but after updating it, it works well. The are several great ROMs out for it. I like the fact that gtab was much more capability thab that iPad...

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  18. cpjr

cpjr New Member

The fact is....a laptop is a difference device from a tablet.....just as much so as a desktop is to a laptop.

They have different uses and will accommodate different people differently, depending on the situation.

The problem is people dont understand what they need, buy a tablet and then get mad because it wont do what they want.....well, you bought the wrong device, plain and simple.
  19. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

^Exactly,
    Know you needs and choose appropriately. For work I have to do a LOT of stuff online via a web-browser and don't need DVD, USB or anything else so a web-enabled tablet or netbook is perfect (small, light and quick). For home when I do video work (ripping DVDs, encoding, streaming media to TV ect) obviously a tablet won't do. So I use both equally.
  20. Bilgediver

Bilgediver New Member

The laptop market tablets are eating into are netbooks, not full size notebooks.

Right now it'd be tough to find ANYTHING to beat the sheer processing and video gaming prowess of my custom built Clevo 17.1" Laptop. I use it to convert movies to digital format, too.

I got the tablet beacuse its easier to carry arround than my toshiba netbook, but I can still find a use for my netbook, too. It still gets amazing battery life and its webcam is still useful. For some reason Archos's webcam was broken as a webcam in the latest update. It works with the camera app but when I load fring it tells me I can't make video calls due to hardware limitations.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App
Search tags for this page

i use my noock tablet when plug it , it is turn of ?