Why I returned my Ipad and why Android tablets might fail

OP
patfactorx

patfactorx

Reaction score
I actually gag a little when I see the price on an iPad. :)

If the Ipad was $100 I would get it in a second cuz then its like an expensive binder but for $500 that needs to be a computer since I get a good desktop with monitor now for $400

cpjr

Reaction score
I do agree prices on tablets is excessive....but you also cant just look at it from a "can do" stand point, and assume that a tablet should be less because you can do more on a laptop or PC.

The smaller electronics get, the higher the price gets. For example flash memory is ALOT more expensive than a harddrive. You pay for portability.

Bilgediver

Reaction score
Hence the reason I went with the 250 GB Internal Disk drive of my Archos 70 internet tablet.

More space to work with, I can hold almost my entire music collection while still loading a few movies on it to watch on a plane.

UNC

Reaction score
Until tablets come with functions that laptops have like DVD/BD drive, USB, broad software support, I don't see much use for them outside of a toy. I'd love to have a tablet that I could run autoCAD or photoshop or something else like that on it :)

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Dvd/bd are dying technologies, digital distribution ftw.
Usb is also a dying technology when it comes to I/O and moving data, bluetooth is killing that. Broad software support is represented by the thousands of apps available....

AutoCAD and photoshop will be on iPad and other tablets very soon, and as a matter of fact I know that they all already have photoshop-like apps....

You name a lot of old technologies and old standards, we live in a new World. Do you also want VHS and CD support? How about vinyl and reel-to-reel, that'd be nice.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Bilgediver

Reaction score
Until tablets come with functions that laptops have like DVD/BD drive, USB, broad software support, I don't see much use for them outside of a toy. I'd love to have a tablet that I could run autoCAD or photoshop or something else like that on it :)

Usb is also a dying technology when it comes to I/O and moving data, bluetooth is killing that. Broad software support is represented by the thousands of apps available....

AutoCAD and photoshop will be on iPad and other tablets very soon, and as a matter of fact I know that they all already have photoshop-like apps....

You name a lot of old technologies and old standards, we live in a new World. Do you also want VHS and CD support? How about vinyl and reel-to-reel, that'd be nice.

Actually with USB 3.0 coming out, its staying as relevant as ever. Bluetooth can still only do so much when it comes to data transfer. USB can still charge devices while transferring data. I'm curious if its possible to pair with multiple Bluetooth devices at the same time.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
A couple of years down the road, I'll probably own just an tablet and a smartphone (and that should be around the time my laptop starts to die).

Smartphone should be almost as powerful as the quadcore laptop I have now, and just hook up a monitor and keyboard and good to go. Tablets are coming out with keyboards that basically turn them into a netbook, so when tablets get more powerful (well, and android has a way to go also) that about all there is to it.

You could take it one step further where your smartphone snaps into your tablet to power it, meaning even tablets need to be little more than a touchscreen monitor. We are very close to this already - just look at the Atrix.

In 5 years, 95% of the computer market is going to be one device - a smartphone. There will be dummy terminals of a variety of types, but other than people doing very high-end computing, that little smartphone will have all the accessories most people need to do whatever they want.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
I just have to know because one person decides they decide they don't like how something works, that it is a terrible piece of machinery and is going to fail. Simply amazing.

And my iPad does more than I ever thought it would. As will the Android tablets as they develop. I'm finishing writing a book on mine. It works better than my laptop because of the instant on and off. It also is an electronic portfolio for my architectural work. Landed more than a few clients that were impressed with the use of technology.

So yeah, tablets actually have a lot of uses.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
It also is an electronic portfolio for my architectural work. Landed more than a few clients that were impressed with the use of technology.

So yeah, tablets actually have a lot of uses.

Good stuff, I sometimes struggle to see the use for these things myself. Personally, I prefer the physical keyboard for heavy lifting and it's why I rarely post from my Droid. Can definitely see the advantages of a tablet for presentations, but for personal use I struggle to justify a table when I have a laptop and a smartphone.

Although I think that prototype flip phone with the dual screens side by side that can almost replicate reading a book is really cool.

Bilgediver

Reaction score
I do prefer a full keyboard. However its a great screen for reading books or watching movies on the go. It was perfect when traveling. Definitely a lot better than squinting at my phone and better than holding my netbook. My netbook actually gets better battery life (but not by much), its the first one Toshiba came out with, about 9 hours battery life.

I did a few crosswords, played some solitaire, and watched Snatch, on a five and a half hour flight, with about 20% left, and I could slide it into my pocket.

Sent from my A70H using DroidForums App

UNC

Reaction score

Actually with USB 3.0 coming out, its staying as relevant as ever. Bluetooth can still only do so much when it comes to data transfer. USB can still charge devices while transferring data. I'm curious if its possible to pair with multiple Bluetooth devices at the same time.

I agree that USB has a use still, but being able to charge devices does not mean that it's staying as relevant as ever...

"Q: How many Bluetooth enabled devices can I connect at one time?
A: Up to seven devices can belong to one piconet at a time. But, each device can belong to multiple piconets, so there is virtually no limit to the number of devices that can communicate with each other."
LINK

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
On the other hand, what use is wireless when you have to plug things in to keep them charged? :)

Here's the thing. When cell phones first came out they were for VERY specialized uses. Now we're using them for everything. The tablets will be the same way. Once adoption becomes more universal then the apps will follow and with them more sales and more apps.

ypsichick

Reaction score
Western KY and W. Los Angeles 3 miles from the bea
When deciding to purchase my Droid I reviewed iPad, netbooks, notebooks, etc. But what did I actually want my "phone" to do for me? Eliminate carrying my laptop, reduce the cost of wireless comm, and access to email downloads, locations, maps businesses & their phone numbers and thee ability to call internationally without carrying a webcam too (I don't have one built in my laptop) this covers just a few things I wanted my little phone to do. I wanted a min-computer-phone with a keyboard! Can we all say DROID? Finally after downloading Kindle for Android I loved it even more, but what next?

I waited for the "reader" I wanted that would travel with me, but did I need something that would replace my Droid? NO, just a reader wth longer lasting battery for 11 hour flights & 3 hour train rides with international internet access without additional cost? iPad? I think Not, Netbook? Kindle wireles & 3g, yes. Keeps my Droid, Droid, saves my battery and is usable on All my devices, without any extra cost. Android should have created an eReader of its own- or is there something I don't know about?

In conclusion :) think about you NEED not what you want, purchase what you NEED not what you want & you will have just what you NEED, even if you have to wait, like I did for my little DROID!

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
The Nook is an Android 1.5 device. You can root it, too. I haven't rooted mine yet because there's some confusion about the hardware numbers.

The Noock Color is pretty awesome, and it's getting FroYo some time this month (reportedly) if it hasn't already.

motty69

Reaction score

Exactly. Tablets in their current hardware configurations only replace laptops for people who didn't make full use of their laptop to begin with. Not gonna be doing much BIM modeling on an iPad anytime soon. :p