Why does my phone use so much data?

panteramatt

Reaction score
I keep going over my 6GB data plan. I only use the internet at my work about 1 hour a day. At home if I use it Im on wifi. Rarely use it during the weekend. So what else uses data? Texting pics? GPS? Anyway to lower it?

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
There is a really long list of potential reasons, GPS may be one but really only if you're using the maps so I would rule that out. I can give you an idea of some of the things I do to limit data.

Google and Amazon do not check for app updates until I ask.
Mail does not get checked unless I open it and ask for the mail. (auto syncing is off)
Same things apply to Hangouts, weather apps and any other live widgets.

Not getting alerts doesn't work for everyone but it keeps me focused rather than bothered.

My data usage is tiny, maybe 250MB a month on average.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Six seems excessive for background apps. Do you have auto sync on for pictures or videos? Stuff like that not on wifi. Streaming movies or music will use a ton of data fast.

Sent from my DE Moto X

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Do you use Facebook?? The new update if Facebook has a feature that autoloads all videos... Go into settings in the Facebook app.. In videos and turn it off.. That may help

OP
P

panteramatt

Reaction score
Never use facebook. Does listening to music in your car via bluetooth or keeping my bluetooth on hurt?

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Listening to music, from the phone, like Pandora among others, would certainly do it. It has to get the music from somewhere. That would be your data plan.

Bratster2

Reaction score
Got to:
Settings, data usage.

Its not always super accurate, but it should give you an idea of what is using your data.

OP
P

panteramatt

Reaction score
My phone says Ive used 1.55GB of data from april 27 til now. It also shows tons of apps running. Whats a good app killer to download to shut them all down til I need them? Also, why is verizon saying I used 6gb and my phone says 1.5?

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
There is usually a disclaimer that says the data logged on your phone may differ with what your provider is saying you have used. That basically tells me that the phones may not be accurate.
There are apps on the PS that kills apps using data. Personally I don't use one as I have unlimited data. Perhaps another member will post a suggestion.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
This app, Onavo Count does a great job on the detail of the apps using the data plan. Most app killers have not proven to be much help in this situation. I don't personally need to kill any apps though I have 8 or so permanently disabled.

Last edited:
OP
P

panteramatt

Reaction score
Im currently running easy task killer. I select it to stop all the apps that are running but when I go back to check they are all running again. Also, how do you turn off 3/4g?​

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
You can set a data limit on your phone and limit background data processes in the settings in data...

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You may want to also consider that although you're only using about an hour daily, that hour could be extreme use. Do you watch video or listen to streaming music during that hour?

OP
P

panteramatt

Reaction score
Not really. I just browse the internet thats all. Dont download anything. I put songs on my phone from itunes right onto my card.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Streaming songs and video takes a lot of data.. Downloading songs.. Not so much...