Data Usage

rgupta0747

Reaction score
I just got My Razr on the 19th of November. On the 20th, my data counter said I had used 33 mb of data. That made sense because I wanted to try the GPS Navigation on it. However, today, on the 21st, I just used my phone for reading some emails, looking at some text messages, and loading a website. This was all done on the 3G/4G, not wifi. I looked at my data counter and in 3 hours, it went from 34 mb of data used to 55 mb of data used. I didn't download any apps, stream any music, watch any youtube, or do any intense web browsing.

I have the netcounter App and it says that In the past 7 days, since I got my phone, I've used 13.3 KB on the data and 1.12 MB on the wifi. Why does my data counter (My Verizon Data) show me 55.6 MB used. I only have 300 MB plan and at this rate, I'll be done before December.

Thanks

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Honestly, 300 MB's won't get you far on an Android device.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

rayr0d

Reaction score
How did you use your GPS?
How long of a distance was your travel?
Was it during peak or off peak hours?

One of many reasons why data usage via GPS will vary or at times much less than a simple email check or surfing the net.

Text messages does not count against your smartphone data plan. It is counted against your text plan

I know at the end of it all, it is currently mind boggling on how to count your data plan and as much as people hate to depend on the carrier to provide accurate usage, they are the ones with the official ticker.

I agree - 300mb - as much as it a deal - for $10 more you will be with over 80% of the current sp users and it's a safe bet you wont go over .. Blackberry users are great for this plan for android, and you have the droid razr - your looking to stress yourself each month.

Does your area that you bought your phone have the 4g promo? $30 for 4g instead of 2g /$50 for 10g instead of 5g? - You should really look into upgrading your data plan before these plans go ..

You have a hot phone on an LTE network thats real....

At the end of it all - its for you to decide - Good Luck!

OP
R

rgupta0747

Reaction score
PM
@ rayr0d and UrbanBounca

I think you are both right. 300MB is small. However, I had ATT before and I was fine on the 200MB plan without any problems. If this is bad after a couple of months, I may upgrade to the 2GB.

As for GPS, I used it Sunday afternoon around 2:30. I probably used it for 15 minutes. I think the problem is that I was downloading apps on my data, not on my wifi at home. I should look into that but I have been monitoring my data and all day, I used only about 2 MB of data.

Hopefully I can fix this issue and it was just some blatant mistake on my part.

kparks

Reaction score
PM
@ rayr0d and UrbanBounca

I think you are both right. 300MB is small. However, I had ATT before and I was fine on the 200MB plan without any problems. If this is bad after a couple of months, I may upgrade to the 2GB.

As for GPS, I used it Sunday afternoon around 2:30. I probably used it for 15 minutes. I think the problem is that I was downloading apps on my data, not on my wifi at home. I should look into that but I have been monitoring my data and all day, I used only about 2 MB of data.

If ur a new vzw costumer u might still be able to get 4gb for 30 bucks deal... 300mb is nothing... I use over 7gb a month using pandora and netflix and web surfing DF.net ... upgrade the package and use the phone to its potential bro :) .

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
PM
@ rayr0d and UrbanBounca

Most apps are about 2MB's in size.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

mikoal

Reaction score
hey guys,

I got some issues with data usage, cycle, and graphs. i was wondering if anyone knows the answers to these questions of course without using another app or rom's data usage.

1) I was wondering if we can set the white lines to show the billing cycle (1 month) by default instead of the last 7 days only? I have to scroll back everytime to check.

2) my data usage reset on me a couple of times without me doing anything. Im not sure whats causing that, but i do have a theory that there is a "lag" of when you set your cycle and when the resets happen.
So if you initially have set on the 15th, then you change to the 1st.
And if its the 13th today. I think there is a reset on the 15th, then it goes to your new billing cycle.
This is just a theory, im not 100% sure. Can someone verify this?
If this is true, how can i make it instant instead of the delay?