S7 using all my data

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Hey, system message app seems to be pointing to the stock text messaging and given the amount of data it's using I would be very fearful that it is sending your personal data to some unknown. It could be hijacked by a trojan and I would agree with Jonny, and recommend you need to do a full FDR immediately.

OP
Y

Yogi1975

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7
Wow scary stuff.. Could I possibly use this app in the app store "system app remover (root)?

OP
Y

Yogi1975

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7
Ok I have plugged the data leak for now by restricting background data for the entire ph :)

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Ok I have plugged the data leak for now by restricting background data for the entire ph :)
That's a good stopgap measure but without data turned on you'll be unable to do any surfing, navigation, anything that requires a data connection. As far as removing the system app, you may not only prevent the phone from receiving texts, but who knows what else it disrupts.

I'd just factory restore it. One thing you can do is reboot into Safe mode and see if it still sucks down data. It so, then it's a flaw in the phone or in the OS. If not, then it's either a user installed app or is a virus.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Ehh virus? Come on now. An application using background data is more believable than a virus on his phone.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
That's a good stopgap measure but without data turned on you'll be unable to do any surfing, navigation, anything that requires a data connection.

It's "background data" Foxy. You can still use the phone perfectly well. You just have to go into your email to see if you got any new ones. Or into Facebook to see if you have any notifications.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
It's "background data" Foxy. You can still use the phone perfectly well. You just have to go into your email to see if you got any new ones. Or into Facebook to see if you have any notifications.

Ehh virus? Come on now. An application using background data is more believable than a virus on his phone.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Over 8GB doesn't sound to me like anything that could be considered normal.

Background data? Data is data whether background or not. I'm not sure I get the significance of it being background data. There's no app I've ever heard of that will pull down that kind of data in the background except a virus making unauthorized transmissions. Well, a torrent client application could be the one exception.

Maybe I'm missing your point, @PereDroid .

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
@Yogi1975 you're not running a torrent client application on your phone, are you? Can you try to run the phone in safe mode as mentioned and see if this data consumption still continues?

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
You said earlier (paraphrase) you can't use your phone for anything with background data off.
Not true.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
You said earlier (paraphrase) you can't use your phone for anything with background data off.
Not true.

Right. My mistake, I was thinking mobile data off, not background data off. Good catch. Call it a brain fart! B-)

OP
Y

Yogi1975

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7
Hey guys thanks for your help....I have factory reset my phone and its all good.
The virus is gone...problem solved!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Hey guys thanks for your help....I have factory reset my phone and its all good.
The virus is gone...problem solved!
I'm pleased to hear of the success. I'm still very curious as to what was causing this. Please keep us updated if anything changes.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
As I said earlier, could just as easily have been just an app acting up. Getting hung up on transmitting data that it's supposed to & is ok to send could run data up just as simply as a virus transmitting data you don't want it to.

Either way, so very glad that the fdr fixed the problem! Hope it holds!

Sent from my Moto Z