who else loves the "chin"?

darreno1

Reaction score
It's grown on me and yes, it makes it easier to hold in portrait mode.

Laurence5905

Reaction score
I like the chin - it gives the phone some character, instead of it being a plain brick.

However, the gold speaker-cover on the back does look, to me at least, like something they forgot about 'till the last minute. "Hey, we don't have a hole for the speaker, so let's make the battery cover half-a-centimeter too short -- there's our hole for the speaker!" But the rest of the gold accents are fine, IMHO.

And, call me crazy, but I'm really growing to LIKE the keyboard on this thing. I'm one of those people who MUST HAVE a physical keyboard, and this one is really not bad at all once you get used to it. Had I been the one designing it, I probably would've left off the D-Pad on the right side and made the keys a bit bigger. But it's really working well for me, nonetheless.

bbtkd

Reaction score
The chin is... Leno-ish. Not sure why it's there though, why not just have both halves the same size and use a larger screen?

Sleeve

Reaction score
I just think of how many times my palm would have hit the back button by now and thank the designers for putting the GPS and wifi antenna there. This past holiday, I was at the house of iPhone (they all have them) and I didn't get a single remark in the fugly range. In fact, most of them said the screen clarity was amazing and liked the physical keyboard. Dunno, they may be converts some day after all.

zegwin

Reaction score
the chin's nice, but I wish it could grow a beard to match mine :(

That is a great idea. Instead of princess skins, the droid could have a goatee, van dyke, or soul patch addon. The van dyke would be a little hard to do, maybe the stash could go over the buttons.

Better yet... Get the "chia pet" seeds and smother those on the chin.

DaHarder

Reaction score
frankly I think the Droid is a visual mess. sure it he a certain macho quality to it compared to the iPhone but it always looks half baked. the back side is awful. it just looks like it has been slapped together. it does follow a certain american utilitarian design aesthetic though. classic American designs are not minimal but functional. I am thinking of pay phones mail boxes subway trains Amtrak etc. they are tough and well made but aren't highly polished and sleek like say Italian design or minimal like Swiss german style.
the chin is a kludge because they couldn't find a better way to incorpoate the antennae. apple changed to plastic case for the same reason.
having said all that though the tough metal body of the Droid inspires confidence and the chin provides an important ergonomic safe haven away from touch sensitive buttons.
I always thought it would be great to have a bezel free phone design with 100% screen and no border but after using a touch screen I realise this really wouldn't be practical
in summary I don't love the chin or the design in general but it works

i like it..i know that is a safe place to grab the droid from my pocket...no touchscreen or controls on it...

GRAMMAR Check Someone... Please!​

iiimegamaniii

Reaction score
+1 on digging "the chin". I know how I'm holding it without having to actually see it (when retrieving from my front pocket), and nice to hold in either landscape or portrait orientation. I like how long the speaker is--you can hear it when face-down O.K. and my index finger fits in there when holding the phone. Gold accents? Eh, I see what they were trying to do but was not needed IMHO.

- Mega

DebDroid

Reaction score
Lol to be honest I didn't really know how to make it work for me until you posted this. Geez! Lol

Viktor Vaughn

Reaction score
I was thinking about it today, and what if there were a "chin" at the top of the Droid? Only difference being, instead of the chin indentation (with the logo) facing up, it would be facing down. Picture turning your droid upside down, and flipping it over so the screen is facing your palm.
The pointer finger would nestle gently underneath the "chin"

Anybody?

MrTommy

Reaction score
The "Chin"?

Wow... Gotta admit - I never even gave "the chin" a thought. Never paid any attention to it. It's just, well, there. In fact, after reading the original post, I had to grab my Droid and find the chin. The chin? What's that? Frankly, I thought it was referring to the slide-out keyboard, which, since I added the BodyGlove cover, is pretty much useless. I'm becomming a virtual keyboard user because of it.

Well, I guess it's "long live the chin"...:icon_ peace:

bigthinker

Reaction score
Love the phone and the modern design (straight lines).....The Chin is Great!

jstrick5

Reaction score
frankly I think the Droid is a visual mess. sure it he a certain macho quality to it compared to the iPhone but it always looks half baked. the back side is awful. it just looks like it has been slapped together. it does follow a certain american utilitarian design aesthetic though. classic American designs are not minimal but functional. I am thinking of pay phones mail boxes subway trains Amtrak etc. they are tough and well made but aren't highly polished and sleek like say Italian design or minimal like Swiss german style.
the chin is a kludge because they couldn't find a better way to incorpoate the antennae. apple changed to plastic case for the same reason.
having said all that though the tough metal body of the Droid inspires confidence and the chin provides an important ergonomic safe haven away from touch sensitive buttons.
I always thought it would be great to have a bezel free phone design with 100% screen and no border but after using a touch screen I realise this really wouldn't be practical
in summary I don't love the chin or the design in general but it works

i like it..i know that is a safe place to grab the droid from my pocket...no touchscreen or controls on it...

GRAMMAR Check Someone... Please!​
Douchbag check.... Please! (FYI, no need to capitalize anything other than the first word in your sentence "grammar boy" aka DaHarder)

jamiehughes

Reaction score
since I added the BodyGlove cover, is pretty much useless. I'm becomming a virtual keyboard user because of it.

Well, I guess it's "long live the chin"...:icon_ peace:

me too, i kinda dont like the virtual keyboards but yea with big fingers good luck using the slide out one without a stylus or something like that.