HTC M8 – Try This Grip Test for Signal Strength!!

BenB2362

Reaction score
I’ve noticed signal strength drops off depending on how I hold the phone. Here’s how to check for yourself:

Settings -> About (at bottom) -> Network... then observe ‘Signal strength’ values.

1.) Place phone on something face up and without touching it wait 10 seconds and note signal strength.

2.) Pick up phone gently, with just thumb and index fingers on the middle of each vertical long side of the phone. Make sure no other part of the hand is touching the phone other than the two fingers, wait 10 seconds and note signal strength.

3.) Now gently keep the two fingers on the sides but allow the bottom of the phone to rest against your palm so that most of the bottom of the phone is touching the middle of your hand/palm. Wait 10 seconds and note signal strength.

If your phone reacts like mine you will see the negative number for signal strength rise (Yeah, I know it's actually a 'Lower' number because it's negative ;-) at each step but you will see a larger increase in the negative number once the phone is resting against your palm (Step 3).

The higher the negative number, (Yes, In know it’s actually the lower negative number ;-), in signal strength the poorer the phone’s reception becomes. I’m not sure this is accurate but:
-105 to -100 = Bad
-99 to -90 = Not great
-89 to -80 = Pretty good
-79 to -65 = Good

My test results are:
Step 1: -113, Step 2: -114, Step 3: -118

I get even lower starting points that eventually rise to -115 to -118 in 3G.

What results did you get?