Where do people get this information sometimes?

donnie5336

Reaction score
Article on Yahoo about alternatives to iPhone. They are talking about the Razr and Maxx... as if they are two totally different phones...

Before Apple forever changed how consumers view smartphones, Motorola’s thin and stylish RAZR was the hottest handheld device on the market. The 2007 debut of the iPhone exposed many of the RAZRs shortcomings, including average audio quality and poor battery life. This dulled sales and forced Motorola to discontinue the series for four years. In 2011, Motorola debuted the new Droid RAZR, a slim and sexy Android-running smartphone that still suffered from poor battery life.

Lots of bad info in there... the original Razr wasn't even a smartphone, no comparison to iPhone...

The best smartphones to buy right now (that aren't the iPhone) - Yahoo! News

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
I'm not sure what your concern is. The section on the Razr Maxx seems pretty factual to me. The original Razr and the Droid Razr Maxx ARE two totally different phones, they just share a common name. The author isn't necessarily comparing the original Razr to the iPhone, just stating that the iPhone was a game-changer which hastened its obsolescence.

OP
D

donnie5336

Reaction score
Ghostwheel said:
I'm not sure what your concern is. The section on the Razr Maxx seems pretty factual to me. The original Razr and the Droid Razr Maxx ARE two totally different phones, they just share a common name. The author isn't necessarily comparing the original Razr to the iPhone, just stating that the iPhone was a game-changer which hastened its obsolescence.

Just comes off as making it still sound like the Maxx is a different phone from the current Razr. If i were phone shopping and read this, it would lead me to believe that the Maxx is now the phone to compare to iPhone, and that the Razr was sub-par in other categories, not just battery life. Not saying i or anybody else would make a choice based solely on this article, and i hope nobody would. Just saying it's a pretty misleading read about the Razr.

Earlier this year, however, Motorola finally cracked the code with the Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX. While the RAZR MAXX offers similar form and function to its pioneering predecessor, it packs a much more powerful battery to ensure you get coverage throughout the day.

Similar form and function? It's exactly the same.

Last edited:

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
How is it the author's fault that the phone he is referring to (Motorola RAZR) happens to share a name with the Motorola DROID RAZR? He's talking about 2007, for crying out loud. All he was saying is the RAZR was the most popular PHONE until the iPhone came out.

As for the second part of your comment, it IS similar form and function. If it were "exactly the same", the battery would be the same size and the MAXX would be just as thin. Now that the battery is nonremoveable, it affects the overall form factor of the phone.

OP
D

donnie5336

Reaction score
Dave12308 said:
How is it the author's fault that the phone he is referring to (Motorola RAZR) happens to share a name with the Motorola DROID RAZR? He's talking about 2007, for crying out loud. All he was saying is the RAZR was the most popular PHONE until the iPhone came out.

As for the second part of your comment, it IS similar form and function. If it were "exactly the same", the battery would be the same size and the MAXX would be just as thin. Now that the battery is nonremoveable, it affects the overall form factor of the phone.

Ok sorry guys. Just sounded really misleading to me when I read it.

Zandar

Reaction score
I agree with you, OP. The author comes off as very uninformed about the subject matter. He acts as though the iPhone is what caused the decline in OG RAZR sales, which is absolutely ridiculous considering the RAZR was barely a feature phone and the iPhone a smartphone, as well as the iPhone only being released on AT&T. He then goes on to tout the benefits of the MAXX over the RAZR, and, though he doesn't outright say it, it's implied that some of the benefits of the MAXX over the RAZR are things like the dual core processor. He doesn't commit any technical errors, but the writing style certainly misleads the consumer. I don't think it was done on purpose; I think it's just a case of an uninformed writer trying to sound like he knows his business. Of course, anymore that seems the norm and not the exception.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I agree with you, OP. The author comes off as very uninformed about the subject matter. He acts as though the iPhone is what caused the decline in OG RAZR sales, which is absolutely ridiculous considering the RAZR was barely a feature phone and the iPhone a smartphone, as well as the iPhone only being released on AT&T.

The iPhone was far from a smartphone when it came out, it lacked basic 3rd party app support so one could say it was barely a feature phone. It was more a "media phone".

On July 11, 2008 (close to a year after release), it became a smartphone with the introduction of the App Store and Microsoft Exchange support.

It's hard to think of the iPhone as such a feature-limited device, but between June 29, 2007 and July 11, 2008; it was an mp3 player that could make phone calls and surf the web. It could SMS, but not MMS.

EDIT: Somewhat related, I remember my first iPod Touch running iOS 1.x - when 2.0 and the app store came along, I had to pay for the update to gain these features *LOL* How things have changed!

Last edited:

GSdub510

Reaction score
you're using Yahoo as a source of news, lower the expectations. But still, nothing the author said is wrong...

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Droid Forums

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
you're using Yahoo as a source of news, lower the expectations. But still, nothing the author said is wrong...

I've lowered my expectations with journalists, period.

These days, it's common to see articles from the Associated Press go worldwide riddled with spelling errors, gross inaccuracy, crude comments, and outright false information.

Guess they fired all of the editors, as obviously no one looks at these pieces before they go live.

Zandar

Reaction score
GSdub510 said:

Well, nothing he said was incorrect; I'll give it that. Still, were he going for accuracy with the impressions he left to his readers (like a good journalist ought), it was composed very poorly.

It seems composition is a lost art among journalists these days. Then again, so are grammar, punctuation, spelling, fact-checking, and tact. What are journalists good for, again?

-Sliced from my RAZR

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
I've lowered my expectations with journalists, period.

These days, it's common to see articles from the Associated Press go worldwide riddled with spelling errors, gross inaccuracy, crude comments, and outright false information.

Guess they fired all of the editors, as obviously no one looks at these pieces before they go live.

Quality journalism died with Walter Cronkite. Attention to grammar, spelling, and punctuation disappeared as the current generation of journalists went through grade school with spell check. Also, drink Brawndo!

jaybogg

Reaction score
Quality journalism died with Walter Cronkite. Attention to grammar, spelling, and punctuation disappeared as the current generation of journalists went through grade school with spell check. Also, drink Brawndo!

But does it have electrolytes?!!