What's the point of 1ghz and up processors?

patfactorx

Reaction score
I can see the point if your gaming a lot on your tablet/phone but why get more than the 800mhz processor in the evo shift or G2 when everything is pretty much instant load. Am I missing something? Its like when ppl get Core i7 desktops for web surfing...

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
While I understand this argument, I've never been a fan of it.

I feel like, you improve things, because at some point, you may need that extra 200mhz for a certain reason and had you not gotten the improved hardware you wouldn't have the option of doing something different.

It's like a person who only plays mine-sweeper. Maybe the reason they play mine-sweeper is because their computer can't play more advance games, but if the tech keeps improving and cheapening, that person can buy a more advanced computer and play Crysis.

If we had followed the argument of "why faster?" we'd still be struggling to post on this forum.

BlueSami

Reaction score
I can see the point if your gaming a lot on your tablet/phone but why get more than the 800mhz processor in the evo shift or G2 when everything is pretty much instant load. Am I missing something? Its like when ppl get Core i7 desktops for web surfing...

My phone is running at 800MHZ
and is still slow..

joeybarclay

Reaction score

My phone is running at 800MHZ
and is still slow..

+1 my phone at 1ghz can rarely play a flash video most of the time the browser closes and if it doesn't I'm in for one annoying slide show

OP
patfactorx

patfactorx

Reaction score
I overclocked my D1 to 900mhz and it runs pretty close to how fast my D2G runs but I do agree that a chip needs to have a dedicated GPU (D2G does) to play video/games.

I'm just saying that innovation needs to happen more in battery life and UI versus just processor speed. Blackberry's QNX seems to be doing more with less. THey have the same chip as the Android tablets but it looks to be running a lot smoother.

Tillyswilly

Reaction score
Yea I use to run mine at 800mhz till I noticed it took FOREVER to watch a video or anything at all for that matter on the web so now its over clocked at 1.2mhz and runs like a champ and the battery thing I noticed MAYBE an extra hour from 800-1.2 out of a day charge myself

mewshi

Reaction score
Yea I use to run mine at 800mhz till I noticed it took FOREVER to watch a video or anything at all for that matter on the web so now its over clocked at 1.2mhz and runs like a champ and the battery thing I noticed MAYBE an extra hour from 800-1.2 out of a day charge myself

Whoa, 1.2 MHz is BLAZING fast! O.O
Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

shmoo

Reaction score
There are 2 reasons to OC. 1. To gain better performance from aging hardware such as the OG Droid. 2. Is...well...because we can! That's half the fun of rooting your phone! That's just my .02
Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
You also have to consider the more ram/memory we get, the more widgets we get. I'm all about the widgets.

Now, although widgets aren't usually a big drain, they do update periodically and occassionally need to use CPU power. At the end of the day, multi-tasking in addition to that can cause your phone to lag at times when it just takes time for the CPU to power thru all the waiting commands. One of the reasons the IPhone runs "so buttery smooth" is you can't really overtax your phone like that. Android is kind of a victim of its own capability there.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Speed Speed Speed

Again, that video of the Optimum 2X was impressive as all get out.

Plus, we probably have to consider that mobile web pages will get more graphic intense with time, as well. So we really do need the speed and power even if not doing much more than browsing and e-mail. There may be a practical limit/need we are quickly approaching but 600mhz don't cut it.

We get to a dual-core 1.5ghz processor and you are talking something that can be the sole/central computing device for a user.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
technology is being built beyond the specs of necessity because something is always coming along the way that would require more power.

Remember when dualcore processors first came out. Very expensive and blazing fast to handle any task thrown at it back then. However, dualcore processors are now the standard (even making their way to netbooks) and software today demands stronger computers.

These smartphones are like computers. Always advancing and are prepared to take on the latest software. Better specs means they're futureproof (to a certain extent) and won't be as outdated as quickly as they should be.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
What's the point of 1ghz and up processors?
Seriously?

Spend some time reading up on the person who said that 640K is more than anyone would every need. Same concept.

There's no such thing as too much processing power or storage.

darkmatter

Reaction score
Speed Speed Speed

We get to a dual-core 1.5ghz processor and you are talking something that can be the sole/central computing device for a user.

this is why I like the atrix. especially for someone like my mom, who does nothing but word processing and web browsing, the atrix would be absolutely perfect for her.