overclocked to 1.1ghz.. what about the gpu?

thenewmalcolm

Reaction score
Feel free to comment based only on the title or read on...

Please forgive me if there is already a post on the subject. I have done several searches for gpu cpu specs, and 1.1 ghz. No where did anyone elucidate clearly how the gpu fits into all this. What is the real added benefit besides 3d games. does 2.1 fully utilize the hardware. How many other phones include a gpu? why is it not discussed more?

AnandTech: Understanding the iPhone 3GS

a quote from that article states

"The iPhone’s processor is based on a SoC that can operate at up to 600MHz, for power (and battery life) concerns Apple/Samsung limit the CPU core to running at 412MHz. The architecture can clearly handle more, but the balance of power and 412MHz. The architecture can clearly handle more, but the balance of power and battery life gate us. In general, increasing clock speed alone isn’t a desirable option to improve performance in a mobile device like a smartphone because your performance per watt doesn’t improve tremendously if at all."

Now how does this compare to my droids similar processor and added gpu?

This was posted by someone on discuss gdgt.com the months ago.

"It seems to me that the one factor was overlooked that this phone also has a dedicated GPU and not one that is shared with the CPU. Even though it is clocked 50 points below the 3GS and Pre it also has a 430mhz GPU which means all graphics and video is done on that while the main CPU handles only applications and other functions. This actually makes this phone comparable IMO to the snapdragon chipsets because they as far as I know don't have a dedicated GPU"

Taken from ARMs website ........The ARM CortexTM-A8 processor is the first applications processor based on the ARMv7 architecture and is the highest performance, most power-efficient processor*available from*ARM

Someone else on the crackberry forum.

"And actually the OMAP 3430 is actually comparable to the Snapdragon. OMAP 3430 has a more beefier GPU while the snapdragon has a more beefier CPU. Basically its xbox 360 vs PS3 if you understand both specs So again the droids 550mhz OMAP 3430 is more powerful and faster than the Samsung Moment 800mhz Samsung S3C6410 RISC Microprocessor"

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Until Android makes better use of the GPU (instead of mostly for games), CPU power will be the performance maker. Per your post, the Snapdragon does have a GPU. Whoever said it does not doesn't know wtf they are talking about.

Also, the iPhone has a GPU as well.

OP
T

thenewmalcolm

Reaction score
Until Android makes better use of the GPU (instead of mostly for games), CPU power will be the performance maker. Per your post, the Snapdragon does have a GPU. Whoever said it does not doesn't know wtf they are talking about.

is the snapdragon gpu integrated onto the cpu chip or is it standalone as well?

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score

is the snapdragon gpu integrated onto the cpu chip or is it standalone as well?

It is integrated onto the CPU chip. Like you said, that's one of the only reasons that the Droid has a chance to keep up with the Nexus One (because it has a dedicated GPU). I really hope that the official 2.1 update that is optimized for the Droid takes advantage of the dedicated GPU with things like live wallpapers.

OP
T

thenewmalcolm

Reaction score
thanks. So apparently the droid chipset has the potential to keep up with the snapdragon. Even after the snapdragon itself is overclocked. Again Droid Does.

deputc26

Reaction score
thanks. So apparently the droid chipset has the potential to keep up with the snapdragon. Even after the snapdragon itself is overclocked. Again Droid Does.

No, if they're both OC'd snapdragon wins, it is better optimized for high clockspeeds and will clock higher while retaining IPC virtually identical to the droid.

OP
T

thenewmalcolm

Reaction score

No, if they're both OC'd snapdragon wins, it is better optimized for high clockspeeds and will clock higher while retaining IPC virtually identical to the droid.

oh that's a shame.

pentiumkerneldev

Reaction score

Hey guys, I'm from the Precentral forums. I'm thinking about also getting an Android phone, thus why I'm on this forum. Anyway, some of you already know that the Droid and the Pre have the same T.I. OMAP chipsets. The chipsets are rated at 600 Mhz by T.I. and limited to 500 Mhz (Pre), and 550 Mhz (Droid), respectively. Overclocking these chips has proved to be a challenging task for the Pre. The way we have settled is by recreating the kernel. We have gotten the Pre to a stable state at 800 Mhz, and a maximum clockspeed of 1.2 Ghz. We're still working on stability issues at 1 Ghz, but this proves that this chipset is quite easily overclockable. Granted the Snapdragon is configured better for high speed clocks, we've had more time with the current processors in the Pre and Droid to adventure this far. By the time we match the time spent with the Snapdragon with that of current OMAP's, we will already have the OMAP 4 chipset, which in my opinion is far more capable of incredible clockspeeds than the Snapdragon. Oh, wait, we already have the OMAP 4 in the Pre2 ;) Regardless, I'm looking forward to contributing to the underground development of Android, so now I have a question for you guys. What phone is my best bet for development? Hopefully my input answered some questions or cleared up some grey areas.

kennydied23

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm from the Precentral forums. I'm thinking about also getting an Android phone, thus why I'm on this forum. Anyway, some of you already know that the Droid and the Pre have the same T.I. OMAP chipsets. The chipsets are rated at 600 Mhz by T.I. and limited to 500 Mhz (Pre), and 550 Mhz (Droid), respectively. Overclocking these chips has proved to be a challenging task for the Pre. The way we have settled is by recreating the kernel. We have gotten the Pre to a stable state at 800 Mhz, and a maximum clockspeed of 1.2 Ghz. We're still working on stability issues at 1 Ghz, but this proves that this chipset is quite easily overclockable. Granted the Snapdragon is configured better for high speed clocks, we've had more time with the current processors in the Pre and Droid to adventure this far. By the time we match the time spent with the Snapdragon with that of current OMAP's, we will already have the OMAP 4 chipset, which in my opinion is far more capable of incredible clockspeeds than the Snapdragon. Oh, wait, we already have the OMAP 4 in the Pre2 ;) Regardless, I'm looking forward to contributing to the underground development of Android, so now I have a question for you guys. What phone is my best bet for development? Hopefully my input answered some questions or cleared up some grey areas.

Good to have you here! I'm a little unclear on what you'd like to develop on in Android so I'm going to just mention a few things...If you're familiar with the Motorola Droid X situation, maybe you should help try to crack the Droid X bootloader, although that's a loooong shot, but not impossible as there still working on it and are slowly progressing. If you like making optimzations to kernels then you'd probably find the Samsung Galaxy S phones the best phone to do that (I say this because people over at XDA optimize the hell out of the Galaxy S phones' kernels). Another decent phone to develop on would be the original Motorola Droid because of its "openness." Other than that I'm not sure what the best phone is to develop on is, probably any newer phone. All of that is my opinion and I look forward to seeing what you can bring to this community!