What's going on with the Droid Touchscreen?

drbob

Reaction score
Is this thing really legit???

24mar10ob6525cwee-1269426601.jpg

MOTO touchscreen comparison recruits robotic implements for heightened precision (video) -- Engadget

labs.moto.com Blog Archive Robot Touchscreen Analysis

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
I remember seeing the original article that this study came from, and although the pics are legit, the article pointed out several ways in which the study was flawed. For instance, it tested out the drawing of straight lines, but not the accuracy of selecting an icon/link on the screen. Most smartphone touchscreen use is in the form of single touches, not long straight swipes, etc. So unless you're one of the few who's really into fingerpainting on your Droid, this study isn't very significant.

Last edited:

Brokn68

Reaction score
Being an owner of a itouch and Droid, I can say that the touch is by far more accurate. I still manage to navigate the Droid just fine, but nowhere near the level of the Touch.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the Droid has double the resolution of the iPhone and iTouch. If the tracking technology is the same, then the Droid has 2x the area to keep up with. Not excusing anything, just offering explanations.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm with GW here, in addition the same article at Droid Life links to another study result at CNET, and the Droid is top of the list there.

Since:

A. Other than in a VZW commercial, (or you happen to work in an auto factory and loan your droid to a robotic coworker) I don't see a robotic hand using our droids. (yes I'll be PC and allow for prosthetics, sorry).

B. As GW said, it's not about straight lines but hitting keys, links, and icons, etc.

I can't see how this diminishes the Droid's capability at all.

Meh.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I remember seeing the original article that this study came from, and although the pics are legit, the article pointed out several ways in which the study was flawed. For instance, it tested out the drawing of straight lines, but not the accuracy of selecting an icon/link on the screen. Most smartphone touchscreen use is in the form of single touches, not long straight swipes, etc. So unless you're one of the few who's really into fingerpainting on your Droid, this study isn't very significant.

The study is flawed: This is a screen cap from me using the app Draw.

ScreenCapofappDraw.jpg

mikes

Reaction score
Why does it matter, except as part of a pissing match?

Seriously, how does this effect the ability to select an icon, use the on-screen keyboard, or do anything else which is reasonable to do on a smartphone touchscreen? If you require accuracy for drawing straight lines, you'll be using a real computer with a quality graphics tablet.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score

Yeah, I did the same thing with the Gesture Search app, and wasnt nearly as crappy as their result. It would be interesting to see other groups try these same tests.

Ghostwheel

Reaction score

Cool. I think we can consider that the second shoe hitting the floor on this so-called study.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score

Seriously, how does this effect the ability to select an icon, use the on-screen keyboard, or do anything else which is reasonable to do on a smartphone touchscreen? If you require accuracy for drawing straight lines, you'll be using a real computer with a quality graphics tablet.

Because it indirectly says something about the functionality of the phone, and if the information is false or misleading, then it can hurt us. If no one buys the phone, then support goes to crap, and we're all toast.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Because it indirectly says something about the functionality of the phone, and if the information is false or misleading, then it can hurt us. If no one buys the phone, then support goes to crap, and we're all toast.

Here's another one where I tried a little harder to make straight lines, but it is free hand and I'm not an artist!!
Photo2Screencap.jpg

Brokn68

Reaction score
The iphone/itocuh doesn't register pressure it registers the electrical impulses from your fingers, the tech is sick...
HowStuffWorks "How the iPhone Works"

Watch video. Please note I don't own or have ever owned a iphone. I do however own the itouch and from my experiences it blows the Droid out of the water for touch screen accuracy.

g8gt2012

Reaction score
The only time I get the results that the articles shows is when I draw the lines very slowly. If you draw with any type of speed you will get straight lines all day long. It has nothing to do with the capabilities of the phone, just something for the fanboys.

Cyrus6001

Reaction score
Preface: I live my droid and would never get an iphone.
With that out of the way..... who are we trying to kid here? Anybody who has ever used an iphone/itouch knows the screen responsiveness on the apple products are hard to beat.
Now i think my droid is great and all, and you get used to it.... but when i pick up my Itouch to play a few games, im like whoa.... why doesn't my droids screen work as good as this?
Im by no means an apple fanboy and dont care for the company/products, but they definitely got the touch right on the iphone/itouch.