What's going on with the Droid Touchscreen?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by drbob, Mar 24, 2010.

1. drbob

drbob New Member

2. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Looks legit to me. Endgadget is reputable source.
  3. Ghostwheel

Ghostwheel Member

I remember seeing the original article that this study came from, and although the pics are legit, the article pointed out several ways in which the study was flawed. For instance, it tested out the drawing of straight lines, but not the accuracy of selecting an icon/link on the screen. Most smartphone touchscreen use is in the form of single touches, not long straight swipes, etc. So unless you're one of the few who's really into fingerpainting on your Droid, this study isn't very significant.
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  4. Brokn68

Brokn68 New Member

Being an owner of a itouch and Droid, I can say that the touch is by far more accurate. I still manage to navigate the Droid just fine, but nowhere near the level of the Touch.
  5. LtKen

LtKen New Member

Keep in mind that the Droid has double the resolution of the iPhone and iTouch. If the tracking technology is the same, then the Droid has 2x the area to keep up with. Not excusing anything, just offering explanations.
  6. RW-1

RW-1 New Member

I'm with GW here, in addition the same article at Droid Life links to another study result at CNET, and the Droid is top of the list there.

Since:

A. Other than in a VZW commercial, (or you happen to work in an auto factory and loan your droid to a robotic coworker) I don't see a robotic hand using our droids. (yes I'll be PC and allow for prosthetics, sorry).

B. As GW said, it's not about straight lines but hitting keys, links, and icons, etc.

I can't see how this diminishes the Droid's capability at all.

Meh.
  7. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

The study is flawed: This is a screen cap from me using the app Draw.

[​IMG]
  8. mikes

mikes New Member

Why does it matter, except as part of a pissing match?

Seriously, how does this effect the ability to select an icon, use the on-screen keyboard, or do anything else which is reasonable to do on a smartphone touchscreen? If you require accuracy for drawing straight lines, you'll be using a real computer with a quality graphics tablet.
  9. LtKen

LtKen New Member

Yeah, I did the same thing with the Gesture Search app, and wasnt nearly as crappy as their result. It would be interesting to see other groups try these same tests.
  10. Ghostwheel

Ghostwheel Member

Cool. I think we can consider that the second shoe hitting the floor on this so-called study.
  11. LtKen

LtKen New Member

Because it indirectly says something about the functionality of the phone, and if the information is false or misleading, then it can hurt us. If no one buys the phone, then support goes to crap, and we're all toast.
  12. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

Here's another one where I tried a little harder to make straight lines, but it is free hand and I'm not an artist!!
    [​IMG]
  13. Brokn68

Brokn68 New Member

The iphone/itocuh doesn't register pressure it registers the electrical impulses from your fingers, the tech is sick...
    HowStuffWorks "How the iPhone Works"

Watch video. Please note I don't own or have ever owned a iphone. I do however own the itouch and from my experiences it blows the Droid out of the water for touch screen accuracy.
  14. g8gt2012

g8gt2012 New Member

The only time I get the results that the articles shows is when I draw the lines very slowly. If you draw with any type of speed you will get straight lines all day long. It has nothing to do with the capabilities of the phone, just something for the fanboys.
  15. Cyrus6001

Cyrus6001 New Member

Preface: I live my droid and would never get an iphone.
    With that out of the way..... who are we trying to kid here? Anybody who has ever used an iphone/itouch knows the screen responsiveness on the apple products are hard to beat.
    Now i think my droid is great and all, and you get used to it.... but when i pick up my Itouch to play a few games, im like whoa.... why doesn't my droids screen work as good as this?
    Im by no means an apple fanboy and dont care for the company/products, but they definitely got the touch right on the iphone/itouch.
  16. mikes

mikes New Member

SRSLY?

It also says something about the functionality of the phone that it doesn't dispense espresso. But, it isn't necessary for the Droid's operation, same as drawing absolutely straight lines with your fingertip on a 4" screen.

What makes you think it's "false or misleading?" Is it a conspiracy? Are the Trilateral Commission and the Illuminati out to sabotage the Droid's success?

Here's a clue - the Droid is only one phone of 21 available which run the Android OS. The Droid is just hardware, which will be gone in about a year, when it's replaced by the next, best thing.

What kind of "support" are you expecting? If you think there's any commitment to OS versions beyond 2.1, there isn't.
  17. stdesign

stdesign New Member

18. rjax

rjax New Member

Here's something odd I've noticed about my Droid's screen -- it's great if I'm holding it with my hand(s), but if I set it down on a table and try to use the touchscreen, it gets much less reliable. I wonder if this test is picking up on some sort of similar behavior. Anyone else see a difference in performance like me?

On a table, single clicks are fine, but if I'm scrolling down a web page in xScope for instance, sometimes the pin-zoom activates like I took my finger off the screen, even when I don't think I did. I never have this problem when hand-holding it.
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  19. BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire New Member

Yes, I've noticed this with the Tmobile MyTouch - the touch screen is almost unusable if you put it down on a table. As far as the Droid - it gets much worse and jaggedy but not as bad as the MyTouch. My sister's iPhone does not seem to suffer from this.
  20. LtKen

LtKen New Member

Did you bother to read the post I responded to? He asked why we should care, and I offered a legitimate response.

I never claimed it was false or misleading, I said "if the information is false or misleading, then it can hurt us" which is true. I know the Droid is just hardware, but if no one buys the hardware, then Moto wont support it.

It's easy to shout and scream when you take words out of context. Here's a clue, understand what you're reading before you yell and scream and make yourself look stupid.
Search tags for this page

are touch screen phones illuminati

elluminat and touch screen phine
secret behind illuminati touch screen
touch screen auto selecting in android