What used droid to buy while i wait?

Dnlm

Reaction score
I've been following the Inc HD threads like a lot of you, and like a lot of you I'm also sitting on an upcoming upgrade, not wanting to pull the trigger with LTE devices around the corner (i know i know, theres always a better phone around the corner)

My storm of course never really worked anyway, but at this point the screen is hanging off by a thread and I just need to jump ship. (Cant bear the thought of going back to my curve either.)

I want to buy a used droid to hold me over, is the D1 (rooted, etc) my best bet? I'd love an X, and maybe if I wait til after the black friday there will be some cheaper used ones floating around. Eris? (Im on verizon obvi)

I believe D1 doesn't support WIFI tethering, correct? Any droid that i can get at a decent used price support this?

also can anyone point me in the direction of a solid rooting walk-thru?

thanks and you guys are the best

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
A Rooted Original Droid easily supports Wireless Tethering and if you are looking to get a used device to get you started in the Android Platform while you wait for something better to be released the Droid One is by far your best bet -

S-f-m-D

Kack

Reaction score
I have had an original Droid since launch day and i am in love with it! i am a fan of a QWERTY keyboard so it is more useful for me. The Droid X and Fascinate are good phones but you are looking at 3-400 bux to buy them used and you can probably find a Droid 1 for around 200. I wouldnt go with the eris it is just a slow phone imho.

cloudstrife05

Reaction score
Im not sure if im breaking the rules, but I have an already Rooted D1 thats just sitting. I was going to put it up on eBay, or sell it to a developer here for future ROM's.

If interested, just PM me.

OP
D

Dnlm

Reaction score
thanks tp!

I just came back into this thread to edit it though I guess i meant "wifi hospot," not 'tethering' exactly.

Biggest question is can I 'tether' my wifi ipad :blush: to it? does it require software on the connecting devices? (in which case i'd have to jailbreak the ipad too, which i plan to do as soon as iOS4.2 is released and jailbroken)

my impression was that even rooted (illegal) wifi hotspots allow any device to just connect as if it were any other wifi network.

last question (i know im insufferable :frown: ): best place to buy used phones/droids online? ebay best bet?

thanks again! :hail:

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ebay is the best bet for used devices IMO and I don't believe the Original Droid supports the Hot Spot feature, only wired - and no need to blush at the ipad - we actually have a Sister Forum dedicated to the iPad - I will find a link for you as you might find it helpful in your search for answers :)

S-f-m-D

goathog02

Reaction score
The D1 only supports adhoc mode wireless tether. No infrastructure mode (wifi hotspot). Not sure if that type of networking is supported by the ipad.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
D

Dnlm

Reaction score
thanks all! and thanks for the heads up on the ipad forum tp!

im now swimming in resources and on the hunt for a D1. bricking and unbricking that should keep me busy until incHD/Olympus/terminator/Nexus S/ can shoot lazers out of their retina-scanning FFCs and rooting activates their teleportation modes.

:)

OP
D

Dnlm

Reaction score
thx!

also thanks for the offer cloudstrife! PM sent :icon_cool:

joepierce1988

Reaction score
Mobile Phone Coverage

I have had an original Droid since launch day and i am in love with it! i am a fan of a QWERTY keyboard so it is more useful for me. The Droid X and Fascinate are good phones but you are looking at 3-400 bux to buy them used and you can probably find a Droid 1 for around 200. I wouldnt go with the eris it is just a slow phone imho.

Mobile Phone Coverage