What to do once 2.2 is officially released?

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Here is my plan...

Back up my FRG01B in SPR.

Restore my 2.1 backup and then do the update, most likely using the manual update.zip we'll have by then.

Evaluate.

I can always go back to what I have.

I don't like that plan. You lose to much from rooting. Even things like Cache Mate for Root users won't work if you go back to stock. Not to mention overclocking, Root Explorer. The list goes on and on.

No, going back to stock is not an option for me. I just want to know what to do about the messages (If I even get them) about the update.

Are we certain that going back to my backup will drop root? I still have SPR at that point, even so, we already know that 2.2 can be rooted, just apply that update to install SU, etc.

My only thought is this in reguard to the OTA:

Size, has more code been trimmed out of it, excess code ...

Performance, although it is still FRG01B, can we verify that it is the same code? There might have been minor tweaks made between that leak and the OTA, not enough to warrent a name change, but a change never the less.

Otherwise, I'm well enough to leave it as is until 3.0 (or 2.3 update5 ...) :)

Verizonbird

Reaction score
Love the Macaw. I have a Hahns. As far as the update. It will never hit your phone. It only goes to phones that don't have 2.2 on them as of now. When I first rooted on 2.0.1 it would prompt me every 30 to move to 2.1. I then went to ROM manager and got a rooted 2.1 and all was good.

HarshReality

Reaction score
Im even more confused.. there is an SBF for SPRecovery.. and all the 2.2 ROMs out for the most part have already been rooted. Take into account the ability to use SDK for android and do a push... why is everybody crying about loosing root when the nut has already been cracked? If it tells you mandatory then just do the thing and re-root it and go on about your life ;)

The ONLY glitch I can think of and I havent seen this brought up before directly is that the locked bootloader in the Droid X is a result of a chip (Im trying to recall specifics but failing) that was supposed to already be on the D1. So as I said if my trivia is correct the only glitch I can see is if the official OTA starts to make use of the locked bootloader. But then that isnt even a glitch as the DX has been gotten around as well so it will just take a bit of time to do a revamp of the current rooting methods and its all good.

OSX2000

Reaction score
I was on a 2.0.1-based BB ROM when 2.1 came around, and never once got nagged about it. It was mandatory too, wasn't it?

Right now I primarily use a 2.1-based UD ROM, and I'm not expecting any update nags in the future. I tell my phone when it's time to upgrade, not the other way around. :icon_twisted:

Last edited:

neubanks89

Reaction score
The biggest thing I'm looking forward to is the official Motorola 550mhz kernel. Thats going to be the biggest stability enhancer. They also go through a ton of code optimizations on an official release resulting in must more efficient code than the leak we've seen. Ota all the way!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Are we certain that going back to my backup will drop root? I still have SPR at that point, even so, we already know that 2.2 can be rooted, just apply that update to install SU, etc.

Performance, although it is still FRG01B, can we verify that it is the same code? There might have been minor tweaks made between that leak and the OTA, not enough to warrent a name change, but a change never the less.

Well, how in the heck can you have an OTA stock ROM and be rooted? I don't see it as being possible.

I fully believe this version going OTA will be the exact same one that we already have. Once they change it, even a little bit it should change the version number.

And if it isn't, it's close enough for me. :)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The biggest thing I'm looking forward to is the official Motorola 550mhz kernel. Thats going to be the biggest stability enhancer. They also go through a ton of code optimizations on an official release resulting in must more efficient code than the leak we've seen. Ota all the way!

I doubt it. I think the release number would change if that was the case. Why do you think they give different release numbers?

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score

Well, how in the heck can you have an OTA stock ROM and be rooted? I don't see it as being possible.

I fully believe this version going OTA will be the exact same one that we already have. Once they change it, even a little bit it should change the version number.

And if it isn't, it's close enough for me. :)

I was only saying that 2.2 was rooted, so if you go back to 2.1, OTA then root, then you should be able to then do what you want at that point. (I could be wrong, if so then I'm with you, just stay where I am, but it's that nagging feeling that somethign will be in the OTA that I'm missing out on hehehe ...)

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
G

guyinlaca

Reaction score
in sprecovery you have to "allow" update zip installation. It will try to ruin and fail....thats it

So essentially, if I get a popup notification to update, let it run, then when it gets to SPRecovery, just go down to run update.zip, but DON'T click allow first?

I just want to be 100% sure. Thanks in advance.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was only saying that 2.2 was rooted, so if you go back to 2.1, OTA then root, then you should be able to then do what you want at that point. (I could be wrong, if so then I'm with you, just stay where I am, but it's that nagging feeling that somethign will be in the OTA that I'm missing out on hehehe ...)

Man, I had a hard time responding to this post. Sometimes as a Mod you can screw things up. ;)

Anyway, I don't think so. If anything they would take away, not add on.

But we shall see soon enough.;)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
in sprecovery you have to "allow" update zip installation. It will try to ruin and fail....thats it

So essentially, if I get a popup notification to update, let it run, then when it gets to SPRecovery, just go down to run update.zip, but DON'T click allow first?

I just want to be 100% sure. Thanks in advance.

I'm still working on getting some good instruction about this. Stay tuned. I'm hoping for this one person to get back to me.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you allow the OTA update (which most ROMs likely won't), you'll lose SPRecovery.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you allow the OTA update (which most ROMs likely won't), you'll lose SPRecovery.

Thank you. That was crystal clear. I thought have SPRecovery also blocked the installation. At least that's what a former member of this forum was preaching.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm not 100% sure what blocks the OTA. I've heard SPR will block it and I've heard the ROM can block it. Somebody smart will have to educate us on that. But I do know if you allow the OTA it will get rid of SPR... but I guess that depends on whether out not it's SPR that blocks the OTA or the ROM... So maybe I didn't answer anything at all...lol. :)

Edit: I guess if spr blocks it, then by nature of how that works, I would be wrong. But if it's the rom that blocks, then what I said should be right. So, I really might not have answered anything...