What to do once 2.2 is officially released?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Again, and I've said this before I still don't know what ADB is. Is it for a PC because I use a Mac. Or is this on my Droid already.

Color me :confused:

Hook - ADB is a tool that is a part of the Android SDK that you load on a PC, Mac or Linux machine. You can download the SDK from:
Android SDK | Android Developers

Thanks for the answer. I see it and it wrote something to terminal in my Mac. I still have no idea what it's for.

wingandaprayer72

Reaction score
What if running a clean rooted 2.1?

I dont want a custom rom, just a clean rooted 2.2. How will I get there from here? Just wait till someone has a clean rooted 2.2 and install with spr?

Rob

sonicxtacy02

Reaction score
I dont want a custom rom, just a clean rooted 2.2. How will I get there from here? Just wait till someone has a clean rooted 2.2 and install with spr?

Rob

This. My DX currently has stock 2.1. I want to root to take advantage of wifi tether and a few other apps. Should i just want until after the 2.2 update to root?

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score

Rob

Yes, you could do that, Chevy and a few others have released untouched rooted ROMS for those of us who want them, I'm sure they'll have that in the first week after release. :)

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Again, and I've said this before I still don't know what ADB is. Is it for a PC because I use a Mac. Or is this on my Droid already.

Color me :confused:

Hook - ADB is a tool that is a part of the Android SDK that you load on a PC, Mac or Linux machine. You can download the SDK from:
Android SDK | Android Developers

Thanks for the answer. I see it and it wrote something to terminal in my Mac. I still have no idea what it's for.

Hook, it's a developers kit for making software on the OS, part of it's functions allow you to load files to the phone. ADB is Android Device Bridge - which lets you do that, but it is terminal based, and most users will now use files already packed into an update, because that method is easier for them.

wingandaprayer72

Reaction score

Rob

Yes, you could do that, Chevy and a few others have released untouched rooted ROMS for those of us who want them, I'm sure they'll have that in the first week after release. :)

Thanks! Figured it would be the same process as when I installed my current clean rooted 2.1 ROM. Thanks for the reply!

Rob

HolyGrail

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Experts can correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're rooted and you have flashed an alternate recovery (SPRecovery or ClockworkRecovery) these will prevent the OTA updates from being installed.

Incorrect, Only if the ROM renamed the otacerts.zip file will the OTA be blocked.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't we not suppose use the otacerts.zip method anymore? As has been my understanding from back in the day. I don't know if this still applies. Quote:

( If you rename otacerts.zip, it doesn't prevent the over the air update from downloading - it just prevents the complete downloaded file from passing the security test. If the download doesn't pass the security test, it simply tries again. Over and over and over again, downloading a 15MB file, destroying your battery life.

The solution is to allow it to download, and even allow it to install. It will copy the downloaded file to /sdcard/update.zip, reboot into recovery and attempt to automatically install it. Luckily, SPRecovery now blocks update.zip installs by default. Just allowing it to ATTEMPT to install the OTA update is enough to make it stop downloading over and over again. As you can see by my battery graph, as soon as I was able to make it stop trying to update, the battery usage leveled off.)

I don't know why users did it that way. I just delete SytemUpdater.apk, an that always seem to work for me.

Last edited: