Question about 2.2 OTA and being rooted

pitchblack86

Reaction score
i'm pretty sure this has already been answered but after an hour of searching here, google, and 2 other droid forums, i still didnt find anything...

I'm rooted running bugless beast v0.4. supposedly the 2.2 OTA is coming soon. I'm actually quite happy with being rooted(lot of nice apps you can use and i like exploring/tinkering with it). now i've heard it mentioned that 2.2 is going to allow root access but havent seen anything official.

since i am still somewhat of a newbie with rooting, let me see if i got this right. what i'm running now(bb v0.4 which is 2.2 rooted) is basically the same thing as the OTA thats coming, right? if and when the update comes, will i be able to still be rooted?

sorry if its been answered before, but damned if i can find it. i just like using setcpu, sdcard managers, etc.

patryn150

Reaction score
BB 0.4 is a custom ROM that is designed off of 2.2. It, in and of itself, is not the 2.2 OTA, just similar. It is highly refined and takes out quite a bit of the bloat that you would normally see in an OTA release. BB 0.4 also has quite a few custom scripts & a toolbox for execution of said scripts to perform functions on your phone that are normally not attainable by an out of the box OTA.

As for 2.2 having root functionality by default, it is highly unlikely that will be the case. Also, since you are ROM'd to BB 0.4, you should not see the prompt for 2.2 when the OTA becomes available. If you were to get it, and you did patch your phone to stock 2.2, you would lose your root access.

xliderider

Reaction score
PitchBlack, just be patient. Once the OTA hits, it usually takes about a week for the custom roms to incorporate the code with added functionality.

OP
P

pitchblack86

Reaction score
thanks guys. was just trying to figure out if i'll even be able to get the update since i'm rooted. someone on another forum said i need to unroot in order to download the OTA. I've been using 2.2 for over a month now and can say i'm actually quite excited to see the official 2.2 haha. and yes, very much looking forward to new roms after the OTA comes....bugless beast v0.5? dancedroid

OP
P

pitchblack86

Reaction score
will i be able to update to 2.2 when it comes while rooted or will I have to unroot?