what is it with android and deleting my pictures?

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I've never had a problem with any phone like this... twice now android has deleted my damn photos off my phone SD card for no reason at all, just gone... one day they are there, the next they aren't. First my D2G did it... I lost years of photos some I had backed up... so I hadn't. and now my bionic just did it again. it doesn't make any sense.

so my question is this, what do you do to backup your photos? google+ instant upload? another app... just constantly copy the photos? any tricks... cause I swear if this happens again, awesome power of android and all I'll be done. I carry my phone with me for quick spur of the moment photos as it's WAY better than my aging kodak point and shoot. but... losing photos isn't ideal. oh deletes videos too.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well, I'll be the first to ask the stupid question: Are you sure the pictures have been deleted or are they just not showing up in the Gallery? If they are pictures you took with the camera, they should be in the dcim/camera folder on the sdcard (not ext). If it's possible that they just aren't being picked up by the Gallery app, try to download Quick Pics (gallery replacement app) and see if it will.

Now to answer your actual question, I backup all my good stuff such as pictures, downloaded files, etc (things that are valuable to me) to my laptop. I also periodically copy my pictures to the sdcard-ext and then occasionally when I have the battery out or the phone completely turned off, I remove the sdcard and put it in the laptop and do a complete mirror.

OP
liftedplane

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Well, I'll be the first to ask the stupid question: Are you sure the pictures have been deleted or are they just not showing up in the Gallery? If they are pictures you took with the camera, they should be in the dcim/camera folder on the sdcard (not ext). If it's possible that they just aren't being picked up by the Gallery app, try to download Quick Pics (gallery replacement app) and see if it will.

Now to answer your actual question, I backup all my good stuff such as pictures, downloaded files, etc (things that are valuable to me) to my laptop. I also periodically copy my pictures to the sdcard-ext and then occasionally when I have the battery out or the phone completely turned off, I remove the sdcard and put it in the laptop and do a complete mirror.

nope completely deleted from the SD card... both internal and external I checked by plugging it in for mass storage mode and removing the sd card.

I'm going to try the google+ instant upload. it's built in and if it works why not use it.

I should just backup more often :p

Biggriff71

Reaction score
No photos or videos found.

I had the same problem with my Incredible 2. One day out of the blue, I went to view my pics by pressing the gallery app and for a split second, it showed my picture folders, and then it said ( photos or videos not found ) WHAT THE blank This was so weird to me. I tried taking the battery out, restarting the phone, unmounting the sd card, but nothing worked. I'm so glad that I found this forum because the ( Quick Pics ) app you suggested worked. I even like it better than the lame ass standard gallery app. Thank you so much for the tip! I hope this works for you other android users out there.

Last edited by a moderator: