What happens at the 2-year mark?

rcellis

Reaction score
I'm very close to my 'upgrade' 2-year time, but it's unclear exactly what that means. I have been getting notices for the last six months that I am eligible for some partial credit, but the prices for new phones don't look particularly good. Is there a significant discount after the 2 year anniversary or is it just puffery? BTW, I do understand that an upgrade would extend my contract with Verizon for another 2 years.. but around here there aren't many decent alternatives.

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
I'm confused about what you're confused about.. When your 2 year upgrade time is here, you can either A) not do anything, in which case you're not on a contract anymore, you just continue paying your monthly bill, and can up and leave whenever you want without paying any termination fees. Or, B) you can extend your contract for another 2 years. They offer you discounted pricing on a new phone as a "thanks" / enticement for you to upgrade. I say discounted, because, for instance, smart phones are usually upwards of $600 to $800 full retail price (what you would purchase them for if you decide you want a new phone and are not eligible for an upgrade), where as at upgrade pricing, they're usually between $200 and $300. I suppose you could also C) extend your contract and not take an upgrade, but I don't really know why you'd do that.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
They say upgrade, but it really means your contract is about to be up. They call it "upgrade" because they expect you to renew the contract with them. There is no significant discount or deal after 2yrs as far as I know, if anything your Rep may smile more because you got them some big commission:D

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
The "discount" is on the price of a new phone - if you decide to renew your contract, you can get a new phone for a discount on what full retail is. Basically, the cost of the contract subsidizes the difference between the discount price and the full retail price.

You also don't HAVE to renew your contract / upgrade your phone through Verizon themselves. You could extend your contract and buy a new phone through places like Amazon or BestBuy. Sometimes their upgrade prices are cheaper than at Verizon.

Your contract pricing won't change or get discounted though.

Last edited:

Axium

Reaction score
I got a loyalty discount of $30 with mt new every two and got the nexus :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

OP
R

rcellis

Reaction score
Responding to the first reply, I was wondering if there would be more significant discounts on equipment once I passed the 2-year mark. Apparently regarding discounts: not so much. I thought as much, but couldn't be sure. I think I'll look at the secondary market for new equipment.. no need to lock myself in for longer than I have to. Things change. Thanks for the replies.