What do you use for Messaging?

spyder560

Reaction score
The stock Samsung Messaging app is killing me. It's so boggy and slow.
I used to use Handcent, but then they switched to ads and now wants to charge...bleh.
The VZW Messaging app does strange things with smileys :)
Can we not get a decent Messaging app?
I just want one that's quick, customizable LED light color, and saves all messages

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Yaata - Another great choice.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Textra is great. EvolveSMS is a really nice option as well. I personally like Hangouts and Google also has Messages (or something similar). I'm not sure that you can customize the notification light with the last 2, but I know you can with the first 2.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Textra is great. EvolveSMS is a really nice option as well. I personally like Hangouts and Google also has Messages (or something similar). I'm not sure that you can customize the notification light with the last 2, but I know you can with the first 2.
Has Google fixed the MMS issue in Hangouts and Messenger? If so I choose Hangouts as my go to text app, if not Textra has been my daily driver for almost a month.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
I switch between the Verizon Messaging app and Evolve SMS - both good choices and get the job done for me ;)...

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Has Google fixed the MMS issue in Hangouts and Messenger? If so I choose Hangouts as my go to text app, if not Textra has been my daily driver for almost a month.
So far, so good. I switched back to Hangouts a little while ago to see and I've been in several group text situations since then that previously wouldn't download due to them being considered MMS. They worked fine, except for the one member who randomly only responds to me and no one else...but that's a different issue entirely.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I've been using Google's messaging app for a while now. Does the trick for me.

sent from #8

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
I have been using Hangout's....I do wish they would get the stuff together and send out another update though. It is a hot mess right now...

Hartman3216

Reaction score
Another for Textra. Tried handcent, gosms pro, Verizon messenger but none have been as good as Textra.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Give Yaata a try, I replaced gosms with it. The developer is from xda and supper responsive. There is a support group on Google+

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

jplemt

Reaction score
I've been using the default Samsung Messages app, tried Textra, but it has this weird drawing lag when opening it. I liked Chomp, but they want a yearly fee, I really liked Evolve SMS, but the delivery toast is kind of annoying, I'd rather just have a simple check mark for the delivery confirmation. Google messenger has this weird glitch with the quick reply not closing the keyboard when done. Hangouts works ok, except the contacts list is horribly horribly slow to load. Samsung messages doesn't allow delivery reports without the notifications. So I'm pretty picky I guess.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk