what can you retrieve from a stolen droid?

droid_girl

Reaction score
I have a Verizon Droid that was stolen. Is there a way either via my droid email address or Verizon that I can retrieve any of my camera photos or videos that I took?

what recommendations can you suggest for a new security app for my next droid? Smobile systems sucks. It couldn't wipe nor track. It's website advertised as backup of data, restore, alarm, etc. [no mention these features are available for the droid]. but after the robbery I found out that with a droid the only features are wipe and gps WHICH DIDN'T WORK. I am looking for a app that one can remotely gps track if stolen that would work if they took the battery off or uninstall the app quick enough. There must be an app out there that has something invisible that is locked into the phone once installed....or in summary there must be an app that is semi thief proof.

OP
D

droid_girl

Reaction score
would app lock work if one reset the SD card or swapped the card?

Dejuanxg

Reaction score
I don't see why not sense its not stored on the sd card and apo lick is free and works great you can use it to lock any. App on your phone waave secuse was free if you signed up for it before a certain date but tje media backup and tracking works great you can even remotely lock your phone with it.

brando56894

Reaction score
Get applock and web secure.

I believe you mean wave secure :D

I suggest getting wave secure, which will allow you to retrieve a lot of stuff is the droid is lost or stolen. Once it is out of your possession you can send a text to it to lock the phone/wipe it/start an annoying alarm and other stuff that I can't remember, once its locked it requires a PIN to unlock it. It also requires that you install "uninstall protection" which I believe requires a PIN or something for you to uninstall the wave secure app. Once the phone is locked down it will send text messages to pre-defined people in your phone book saying that you lost your phone. Make sure if you use handcent or some other SMS app that pops up text messages to have it set so that it won't display over the lock screen so the thief can't see your PIN.

I'd also suggest you buy the app "where's my droid?" which allows you to find your phone if it's lost somewhere in your house by sending a text to it which will turn up the ringer and have it ring until you find it. The other feature is you send a different text to it and it will send you back two text messages: one containing the GPS coordinates of the location of your droid and the next one will be a link to google maps with a pinpoint on the location of your droid. Of course this will only work if GPS is enabled.

Also there's the basic pattern lock which helps protect the droid from unauthorized access.

OP
D

droid_girl

Reaction score
brando:
did they fix the locking flaw in which one can access the "locked" phone when it rings, answering the call and pushing the back button while the call is in progress?

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
what recommendations can you suggest for a new security app for my next droid? Smobile systems sucks. It couldn't wipe nor track. It's website advertised as backup of data, restore, alarm, etc. [no mention these features are available for the droid]. but after the robbery I found out that with a droid the only features are wipe and gps WHICH DIDN'T WORK. I am looking for a app that one can remotely gps track if stolen that would work if they took the battery off or uninstall the app quick enough. There must be an app out there that has something invisible that is locked into the phone once installed....or in summary there must be an app that is semi thief proof.
I'd recommend, first of all, not counting on a tracking app. There are just too many ways to get around it. Secure your data and use a tracking app. The first is a must. Consider the second is gravy if it works. You're not going to be able to 100% guarantee that you'll get the device back with any app.

OP
D

droid_girl

Reaction score
how do you recommend securing your data? By using Motorola's lock or something better out there. any recommendations?

myAndroid

Reaction score
I'd recommend, first of all, not counting on a tracking app. There are just too many ways to get around it. Secure your data and use a tracking app. The first is a must. Consider the second is gravy if it works. You're not going to be able to 100% guarantee that you'll get the device back with any app.

i would like to support the statement that you cannot rely on a tracking app to work if you are expecting it to work in a thief's hands. C'mon, let's be realistic. How can you say you want an app to track your device when there is no power to the device or the app isn't running? It's just silly. The best piece of advice is to use a passcode on the device so the attacker can't get into it in the first place. Also, READ the details of what you are buying. SMobile's site DOES NOT say that remote lock, backup and restore work for Android..as a matter of fact, it specifically says that those funtions are not available for Android devices. I just checked the site and the app description on Androlib.com. Please, know what you are getting, and test the functionality so that you know what is needed for it to function properly....

cheewee

Reaction score
I suggest getting wave secure, which will allow you to retrieve a lot of stuff is the droid is lost or stolen. Once it is out of your possession you can send a text to it to lock the phone/wipe it/start an annoying alarm and other stuff that I can't remember, once its locked it requires a PIN to unlock it. It also requires that you install "uninstall protection" which I believe requires a PIN or something for you to uninstall the wave secure app. Once the phone is locked down it will send text messages to pre-defined people in your phone book saying that you lost your phone. Make sure if you use handcent or some other SMS app that pops up text messages to have it set so that it won't display over the lock screen so the thief can't see your PIN.

I'd also suggest you buy the app "where's my droid?" which allows you to find your phone if it's lost somewhere in your house by sending a text to it which will turn up the ringer and have it ring until you find it. The other feature is you send a different text to it and it will send you back two text messages: one containing the GPS coordinates of the location of your droid and the next one will be a link to google maps with a pinpoint on the location of your droid. Of course this will only work if GPS is enabled.

Also there's the basic pattern lock which helps protect the droid from unauthorized access.

Hi brando56894,
Thanks for the recommendation. Actually, WaveSecure lets you remotely control your phone via another mobile phone when you have no access to a PC. Check out this blog post for more details.

Thanks,
cheewee
Team WaveSecure
www.wavesecure.com

OP
D

droid_girl

Reaction score
you are right. I was naive enough to check the 5 stars on the market and thought it was a sound investment and app. I didn't research it. I was able to be near a computer right after the thief and tried in vain all afternoon to track. Either they took the battery out [I hope] or uninstalled the app. because the gps was "not available".

nooter99

Reaction score
What about mobile defense? I signed up a few days ago, but don't really know how good it is since I still have possession of my phone. What's the opinion/reviews for mobile defense?