What a Site!

DonFromTX

Reaction score
I wandered in here looking for some help with my Droid X Motorola on Verizon. I don't understand lots of what is being discussed, and only had a simple problem that I was looking for help with.
My Droid X seemed to be using too much battery, and I found the culprit. When I lock the screen off (not sure if that is the correct names) it comes back on when I shove it in its holster! I found that the key with the little house on it at the bottom turns the screen back on.
I really want my phone to stay off when I push the lock button, until I push it again to wake it up. Is there such a setting to accomplish this?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I wandered in here looking for some help with my Droid X Motorola on Verizon. I don't understand lots of what is being discussed, and only had a simple problem that I was looking for help with.
My Droid X seemed to be using too much battery, and I found the culprit. When I lock the screen off (not sure if that is the correct names) it comes back on when I shove it in its holster! I found that the key with the little house on it at the bottom turns the screen back on.
I really want my phone to stay off when I push the lock button, until I push it again to wake it up. Is there such a setting to accomplish this?

:welcome: to the Droid Forums. Its probably the magnets in the holder that's keeping the screen on. Not anything you can do about it. I don't use one I keep it in my pocket.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome! Glad your wondering brought you to us :) I'm not sure how the X controls the sleep but I'm sure someone will.

Mike

OP
D

DonFromTX

Reaction score
I thought that could not be the case, so I started rubbing the magnet over the phone, and you were correct! Darned magnet turns it on, I wonder why they made it that way?! Not sure just what to do about that, pocket carry is out, maybe a holster that has no magnets.

:welcome: to the Droid Forums. Its probably the magnets in the holder that's keeping the screen on. Not anything you can do about it. I don't use one I keep it in my pocket.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I thought that could not be the case, so I started rubbing the magnet over the phone, and you were correct! Darned magnet turns it on, I wonder why they made it that way?! Not sure just what to do about that, pocket carry is out, maybe a holster that has no magnets.

When you set the phone in a cradle they have magnets too. And I've read enough threads that I know that the holster has magnets in it.

I don't however know if there is a holster out there that doesn't have magnets. Display is always the #1 battery user. Why they want it on in a holster is beyond me.

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Is there enough space in there to put something else in it.. What I mean is, if you sanded (roughed up) a little area and then glued some kind foam or rubber or whatever on it... it could block the power of the magnet enough to make it not do that.

Worded terribly.. Hopefully the thought is still seen.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Is there enough space in there to put something else in it.. What I mean is, if you sanded (roughed up) a little area and then glued some kind foam or rubber or whatever on it... it could block the power of the magnet enough to make it not do that.

Worded terribly.. Hopefully the thought is still seen.
Pretty sure the magnetic field (trying to sound knowledgable here!) won't be affected by non-metallic objects. Best solution I can think of is cut it out...unless it's part of the "latch", which means holster then won't stay shut.

Also, to add to what hook said: the whole magnet-on-a-dock concept was to allow the dock makers to switch the phone into a different mode without having to touch the device. So the charging dock puts it in "clock" mode while the car mount puts it in "navigation" mode. It's a real cool idea...THE FIRST TIME. Then I think the novelty wears off and it becomes a pain. :icon_evil: At the very least, I would have included a pop up (when the magnet switches the phone mode) that asks "switch to dock mode?" or "stay in phone mode?" and defaults to NO if you don't confirm it.

-Matt

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
At the very least, I would have included a pop up (when the magnet switches the phone mode) that asks "switch to dock mode?" or "stay in phone mode?" and defaults to NO if you don't confirm it.

-Matt

THAT..... would have been too convenient.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
At the very least, I would have included a pop up (when the magnet switches the phone mode) that asks "switch to dock mode?" or "stay in phone mode?" and defaults to NO if you don't confirm it.

-Matt

THAT..... would have been too convenient.
Ya think dockrunner does that? Haven't tried it yet...

-Matt