Well, I've done it this time...

Pessoa

Reaction score
I'm rebuilding my porch and have used GE Paintable Silicone II to repair some cracks, and, of course, I got some on my hand and when I reached for the phone to answer a call, sure enough, I put blotches of silicone on the back of the camera and failed to notice it before it cured.

It was a foolish mistake.

Any suggestions, short of getting a new MAXX, for removing the silicone without damaging the back of the MAXX?

Thanks.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I'd try alcohol, power off your device before you do this though, just in case.

Under no circumstances should you try steel wool, even the #0000 will scratch the heck out of the camera lens. My sister just scratched her nexus trying to get something off of the display with steel wool... I warned her lol. On the plus side, she might sell it to me, and I'll have it repaired and have a nexus to play with in addition to all of my other toys :cool:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
It may also dry and peel right off....

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
94lt1 said:
I'd try alcohol, power off your device before you do this though, just in case.

Under no circumstances should you try steel wool, even the #0000 will scratch the heck out of the camera lens. My sister just scratched her nexus trying to get something off of the display with steel wool... I warned her lol. On the plus side, she might sell it to me, and I'll have it repaired and have a nexus to play with in addition to all of my other toys :cool:

You don't need any more toys! LOL

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
You don't need any more toys! LOL

Ohhhh Jackie..... are you gonna deny little ol me :D. :batting my eyes with a devilish grin...

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
What does the can or bottle say to.use to.remove on some stuff? I would try rubbing or alcohol light acetone. Be.very careful with the acetone.

Alcohol, yes, Acetone, NO WAY! Acetone is a very powerful solvent that melts many plastics and also melts many paint coatings. It will likely destroy the back of the phone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2 with Google voice to text translation. Please excuse any minor spelling, punctuation, capitalization or grammatical errors.

OP
P

Pessoa

Reaction score
Unless the MAXX comes with a protective film over the Kevlar I recovered with little impact. But, the film I removed seemed fairly strong and I suspect that is the Kevlar which came off as I was using my fingernails while attempting to remove some of the larger silicone blotches.

Hopefully, the Kevlar is more marketing than functionality...

Thanks for the feedback.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
The Kevlar on this device is almost like a rubbery back. It has no rigidity. Infact I think its on the back of these phones to allow swelling from the battery. Hope this helps?

I could be wrong :)

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
As memory serves, the Kevlar on these devices, is held on by double sided adhesive... I wouldn't worry unless you puncture it and the battery.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Unless the MAXX comes with a protective film over the Kevlar I recovered with little impact. But, the film I removed seemed fairly strong and I suspect that is the Kevlar which came off as I was using my fingernails while attempting to remove some of the larger silicone blotches.

Hopefully, the Kevlar is more marketing than functionality...

Thanks for the feedback.

The Kevlar does come with a "whitish" clear plastic film over it. It's supposed to protect the Kevlar from handling and during shipping. Seems kinda funny to put a thin plastic sheet that you can tear with your fingers over Kevlar which is pound for pound 5 times stronger than Steel to protect it. So if the film came off, that's fine, since it's meant to anyway.

I doubt you removed any of the Kevlar with your fingernails. You'd have to get shears to cut through it as you can't break it with your fingernails. Kevlar is many times stronger than your fingernails, even in the filament diameters on that woven Kevlar material.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
The Kevlar does come with a "whitish" clear plastic film over it. It's supposed to protect the Kevlar from handling and during shipping. Seems kinda funny to put a thin plastic sheet that you can tear with your fingers over Kevlar which is pound for pound 5 times stronger than Steel to protect it. So if the film came off, that's fine, since it's meant to anyway.

I doubt you removed any of the Kevlar with your fingernails. You'd have to get shears to cut through it as you can't break it with your fingernails. Kevlar is many times stronger than your fingernails, even in the filament diameters on that woven Kevlar material.

I thought the Kevlar in this case was of the weaker variety.. I stand corrected :)

OP
P

Pessoa

Reaction score
Thanks for all the reassuring comments.

It would appear I narrowly escaped a disaster and hopefully learned a lesson.

Thanks again.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I thought the Kevlar in this case was of the weaker variety.. I stand corrected :)

Not aware of a weaker variety. Kevlar is a trademark name for the molecular formula, so Kevlar is Kevlar. There are various grades, each with specific properties for various applications. I believe the methods of extrusion determine the variety and properties.

Several grades of Kevlar are available:

1. Kevlar K-29 – in industrial applications, such as cables, asbestos replacement, brake linings, and body/vehicle armor.
2. Kevlar K49 – high modulus used in cable and rope products.
3. Kevlar K100 – colored version of Kevlar
4. Kevlar K119 – higher-elongation, flexible and more fatigue resistant.
5. Kevlar K129 – higher tenacity for ballistic applications.
6. Kevlar AP – has 15% higher tensile strength than K-29. [10]
7. Kevlar XP – lighter weight resin and KM2 plusfiber combination. [11]
8. Kevlar KM2 – enhanced ballistic resistance for armor applications [12]

I am not sure but would wager that either K-29 out K49 were the grade used on the RAZR, and my best guess would be K-29 as it's the most commonly used and plays a ripple in body armor.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2 with Google voice to text translation. Please excuse any minor spelling, punctuation, capitalization or grammatical errors.