weird problems, titanium backup questions, looking ot sbf

srfrmac87

Reaction score
So i have been experiencing weird problems for about 2 weeks now. it started when i installed an app called study droid. its a program that is like a digital flash card program. anyway, while using it i noticed that the screen would turn off in a short time (less than 5 seconds) after being touched, no matter what time was set for the screen to time out. making it difficult to use the program. i have since noticed that this particular problem has gone to the rest of the system. i will be browsing internet, playing games, etc. and the screen will go off. i have to press power and unlock the screen each time this happens. at one point it happened so frequently that i had to unlock the screen 3 times in 10 seconds. I am trying to uninstall the program now to see if that helps. the problem randomly goes away. tried restarting phone, usually makes no difference.

Another problem i am having deals with my ringtones and notification sounds. i use ring droid to make them. twice now i have remade them after they mysteriously disappeared. i am no longer going to use this program, i will just make them on the computer.

anyway, i have other problems besides these two, so i was thinking about just reseting everything. which leads me to my first real question. do i have to be rooted to use titanium backup? i saw there was 2 options in the market, one is a paid version and the other says root. do i have to root to use either one, and in either manner which version do you guys suggest?

Next, should i do a factory reset or sbf? I am stock, not rooted, etc. do i need to sbf, or will a factory reset suffice?

Thank you all again for your help!

Last edited:

area52

Reaction score
AFAIK flashing the .sbf file restores the phone to the out of the box state, meaning it will flash everything including the radio, since your not rooted just doing a factory reset should be sufficient.

and yes you need root to use tb, I've read a lot of posts about people having issues restoring data with tb after flashing roms, personally I just manually re-do everything. I only use tb to restore data for my progress on angry birds :)

OP
srfrmac87

srfrmac87

Reaction score
thank you for the reply, i would use tb just to back up some settings and have a nice list of apps to reinstall. so i would have to root to be able to do this, which isnt too big of deal. so assuming this, is there any real benefit to the paid version of TB?

area52

Reaction score
The paid version offers more features than the free, example you can freeze the bloated apps on the phone with the paid version. I just use the free version cause all I use it for is to save my progress on some games