Custom ROM, Nandroid, and SBF for Dummies. By a dummy.

shda5582

Reaction score
Custom ROM, Root/Nandroid, and SBF for Dummies. By a dummy.

Firstly I wish to state at the beginning that I only recently acquired my D2G (3 days ago as of this statement) and I'm quite in love with it. Now, I know (currently) nothing about the programming backend, loading custom ROMS, etc although I have rooted and ran the bloatware wipe as detailed here (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...root-custom-recovery-sim-unlock-tutorial.html) and here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-2-global/108937-droid-2-global-bloatware-removal-script.html

Now, being that I am quite a dummy when it comes to some of the more advanced workings of the Android OS while wishing to do some of them, I have stumbled in the dark via this subforum and on Google to acquire information that is done in a very simple, very easy step-by-step instructions that a total dummy like me can easily follow.

This said, I would like to try to make this thread as a way for just that, with the information done in easy step by step instructions (should people have questions on a specific procedure). I give all thanks and props to the original authors of their respective threads, and do not wish for anyone to mistake their hard work as mine, nor am I trying to steal proper credit. This is just an idea to store the threads in one central location, to allow easy reference, and hopefully answer questions from newbies such as me. :)

Note: those of you that wish to contribute links to threads detailing the more advanced features, please do not hesitate to post them here and I'll add them to this OP with credit given.

• This allows you to root and make a Nandroid backup, NOT an SBF backup. See below for SBF.
  • The nandroid backup is meant to backup your current phone OS/settings/data. Do this before you do anything major and I recommend IMMEDIATELY after you root the phone. Saving them onto your computer will help in the event that your phone/SD card dies.

• This allows you to restore your phone to factory default if you "brick" it.
  • This includes the SBF file for the Droid 2 Global ONLY and the PC program needed to run it.

• You should have at least a 90% battery charge before attempting ANY ROM install. This is to ensure you don't run out of charge and brick your phone halfway through.
  • This is a custom ROM for the D2G. Includes instructions on how to install, and links to the software needed. **MUST ROOT AND HAVE THE BOOTSTRAP RECOVERY PROGRAM INSTALLED FIRST**
  • Note: if you are not VERY careful, and know what you are doing, you WILL brick your phone and have to do the Recovery detailed above. MAKE SURE that you do the Nandroid backup detailed above before trying a ROM flash.
  • Procedure:
    -First, go to this link and either donate or download the Lite version: Fission Rom Manager | Team DeFuse
    -MAKE A NANDROID BACKUP and copy it off your SD card onto your computer.
    -MAKE A NANDROID BACKUP and copy if off your SD card onto your computer (I cannot stress how important this is!!!).
    -Once that is done, make sure that your phone is plugged into your computer and you can access the SD card. To access the SD card, you need to make sure that you put the phone in USB mode. You also have to allow for running Unsigned Applications, this can be done in Settings->Applications. Put the .APK file in the zip that you download onto the SD card at the root of the directory. In other words do not put it into any folders. Install the .APK file like you would any other APK.
    -Use the following instructions step-by-step: Install Instructions and Downloads | Team DeFuse

• It's basically the same way as you loaded the custom ROM, except slightly different steps:
    -Reboot your phone into recovery mode using the Bootstrap Recovery program.
    -Go to backup/restore.
    -Hit restore.
    -Select the directory that is the date/time stamp of the backup you did. This is your Nandroid backup.
    -Scroll down to Yes, and press OK on the keyboard.
    -When it's done, select Reboot System Now and press OK.
    -Phone will restore and reboot back into the system you had before the ROM flash.

sid_wisc

Reaction score
:rating10: A very nice writeup.... this should be a sticky so as to reach all the people who might need it... Mods if you can get this msg PLZ make it a sticky.....
Shda I have a few suggestion but I will get it to you some other time... Great Job :rating10:

biknut1

Reaction score
Now, being that I am quite a dummy when it comes to some of the more advanced workings of the Android OS while wishing to do some of them, I have stumbled in the dark via this subforum and on Google to acquire information that is done in a very simple, very easy step-by-step instructions that a total dummy like me can easily follow.

I love it! I was looking for something similar to this when I wanted to root my phone. All I could find was more forums, more posts, and more "buzz-words" than I can remember. It was hard to sift through it all, not having seen it before. I started the rooting process somewhat blindly. I believe you are offering a much-needed service here. Hope it gets a sticky so it stays around for a long time for everyone else just jumping on the "rooting" train!

Thanks Dude!

OP
S

shda5582

Reaction score
*bump to show updates*

and ty for the kind words on the work i did :)

OP
S

shda5582

Reaction score
Wanted to bump this because I noticed that the sticky thread for the SBF/recovery got moved to a different forum and was hoping people would read this and not panic thinking it got taken down.

Will get around to adding more threads to reference, but I cannot think of others to add. Anyone else out there care to share some ideas, please?