WeatherBug runs battery down!!

tu3218

Reaction score
I recently read the thread about not having to use any task killer and so I deleted the advance task killer. But since I deleted that my battery life was significantly worse. I realized then that weatherbug was running in the upper left corner. Although I have it set to update every 6 hours, it continues to update several times in a hour. I think this is why my battery life is so bad with it continually updating. So if anyone is running weatherbug an its running, check to see how often updates are apart. This may be a glitch in the software.

msheldon

Reaction score
I noticed it too. Then I turned off the "Enable my location/Enable follow me", then manually created a location.
Battery usage dropped off sharply after that. I have the widget set for 1 hour updates.

ice456789

Reaction score
When I had 'my location' enabled, it used 2% of my battery. Disabled, it's not even listed. Also didn't get any battery usage from GPS even with my location enabled. Did you guys have a different experience?

OP
T

tu3218

Reaction score
Yeah thats strange, I mean I'm guessing it was weatherbug that was running my battery down. Do you guys have the temperature in the upper left hand corner?

ericwiz

Reaction score
I've had weatherbug installed since day one and it does not place a significant drain on my Droid's battery. I just checked battery usage and it isn't even listed on my device.

raven1911

Reaction score
Crownroyal, so the gps enabled is what drains the battery, not thw weatherbug app?

Sp3aK

Reaction score
More than likely it's a combination of the GPS being on AND WeatherBug asking the GPS where you are however often it decides to check. My settings are as follows:

PHONE GPS: OFF
WeatherBug "Enable My Location": OFF (which obviously turns off the "Follow Me")
Status bar temp: OFF
Homescreen widget: ON
Update interval: 30 minutes

After installing it I don't notice any "extra" battery usage at all. I'd say just adjust your settings and you should be fine.

It's just sort of common sense that if you leave things like GPS, Sync, and BlueTooth on they will run the battery down quickly and even more-so if there are applications running that utilize them.

kpiskin

Reaction score
Weather bug doesn't even make it on my list of apps using the battery and I keep it running along with GPS all the time. The display uses about 50% and then Locale is second so far with 17%.

jimboman

Reaction score
I set the location on WeatherBug once, and the widget is running on my primary homescreen. WB doesn't even show up on battery consumption (< 2%), and I have mine updating every hour.

Ed Blown Vert

Reaction score
Website
ls1.com
Current Phone Model
Samsung S22U
I don't noticed any drain on the battery and the temp is in the notification area.

Happystranger

Reaction score
I just deleted WB today. I installed Where and it gives me the temp anyway, so why do I need two apps telling me the temp. The only think I liked about Weatherbug was the temp in the top corner..it's not worth the batter drain to me.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not much

The GPS doesn't drain your battery that much and weatherbug barely at all.

You need to pull up the proper tools rather than guessing. Download Spare Parts, and look at what uses your battery in the settings area.

Screen uses the most. Voice uses the second most.

Instead of guessing by turning stuff off and on look at the tools. GPS uses next to nothing and weatherbug is nothing at all.