Weak signal strength

trife

Reaction score
Hello everyone

Less than a month ago I bought the eris switching over from at&t. The phone is alright, but my solitary complaint is the lack of service I get on it. Comparing it to other VZW phones like my friends blackberry I never get nearly as good of service as they do. Is this a common issue? Any fix?

Thanks

OP
T

trife

Reaction score
yes sir, did you ever compare your signal strength to other verizon phones? Is it the same or does the Eris just have a cheap antenna.

MattPHS2002

Reaction score
yes sir, did you ever compare your signal strength to other verizon phones? Is it the same or does the Eris just have a cheap antenna.

I did notice a bit of an issue when in my car using built-in Bluetooth but day to day seems fine. I'd see what a techie says at a store.

shobe

Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed a weak signal using Verizon Note 3? I rarely get over 3 bars and when talking at a grocery store today, I lost all signal just a few steps in. When I had my Bionic, I had full strength in the back of this same store.

Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated. I tried changing the mobile network from World to LTE/CDMA to no improvement.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2

shobe

Reaction score
FYI, I got the update today as well but this seemed to be the same before and after the upgrade.

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
No signal problems at all. Full strength all day long unless I go into Krogers Supermarket or our Local Target store.

shobe

Reaction score
Yeah, it was Kroger for me. Don't know if there is something wrong with my phone or what.

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
Yeah, it was Kroger for me. Don't know if there is something wrong with my phone or what.

It is not your phone it is the Store. I had the same problem with my BB Storm, Gnex, and Now my Gnote3. In Walmart I have a very strong signal. At home and work strong signals. I am thinking it is the metal and concrete of Target and Krogers that mess with the signal.

EmanP223

Reaction score
Haven't noticed any problems but then again, I'm coming from a Charge which just flat our sucks.

S

SFGate

This is not specific to your type of phone, but I noticed with a couple of my phones, excellent signal strength as indicated by number of bars when I first turned on the phone. Immediately when I tried to initiate a call, no connection, down to nothing. This would happen so often (like always) that I didn't think it was a coincidence. So frustrating, but I never followed up on it. I would certainly hope that the problem has to do with the buildings, as Preach2k suggests, rather than something with your device.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Well it might not be the store, since it's no longer a secret that the N3 reception quality isn't top quality.

Having said that, I haven't had any issues. Sure I usually only have 1 or 2 bars, but....oh well. I'm still not dropping calls or getting any cut out. In fact, where I had 2 bars with my S3 in my apartment, I have 1 on my N3. BUT, in those same spots, my S3 would often disconnect or cut out...haven't had that once with my Note. Usually couldn't even check my Voicemail in my bathroom on my S3, doesn't seem to be a problem on my N3....even though I only have 1 bar. Had to be careful if talking on the phone in my kitchen while cooking on my S3, still haven't dropped out on my N3. Interesting...

Just like inner specs I try not to look at the numbers too much. Performance is what matters. I don't care if I have 0 bars as long as it still makes and holds a call!

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bars mean nothing on cdma.
Go to settings, about phone, phone status and check your dbm numbers. The higher the negative number the weaker the reception. A great signal will be in the -50s to -60s. A ready to drop your call signal will be -95 or higher. -120 and higher is basically unusable.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
s pen aholic in Beast Mode (Notetoo)

BrownSanta

Reaction score
I have at&t and can't get above 3 bars anywhere i go. My iPhone 5 has 5 bars