We want freedom for our phones! (Bloatware)

hAHAha Halo

Reaction score
-BEFORE POSTING ABOUT THE 'ANNOUNCEMENT' READ BOTTOM OF THIS POST-
I've understood that Verizon is getting some money by putting apps on our phones from other companies, but with the recent announcement that the Bionics are going to be discontinued, we can expect less updates and Bionic-specific accessories. With that being said, and I've never been one to appose Bloatware before, but I've looked through these apps, I've looked through the reviews of these apps, and I've seen the light: we should have options for these apps.

On my phone:
Verizon Video takes up 20.59M
NFL Mobile takes up 14.64M
Verizon Navigator takes up 9.77M
Citrix takes up 8.58M

They continually decrease, but there are more apps than just that—those are the big ones, and we have a fixed set amount of storage. I know every phone has preinstalled apps, but I believe Verizon has the most Bloatware as far as big-league phone companies. I've seen in the comments of the Bloatware that many people are giving one star ratings and actually "boycotting" app updates.. Whether boycotting actually has an impact on Verizon, we don't know, but the ratings are low for Bloatware apps.

As quoted by the many who have said this before: Speak Out while you still can. We're not going to be receiving many more updates, I'd like to see the day when Bloatware are just optional apps.

Open for petition, discussion, and debate.

EDIT: Indeed, they are only RUMORS that the Bionics are going to be discontinued. But True or False, we need to have more say in our phones because as the Bionic ages month by month, we will hear less and less about updates.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Last edited:

sr.torres22

Reaction score
I've understood that Verizon is getting some money by putting apps on our phones from other companies, but with the recent announcement that the Bionics are going to be discontinued, we can expect less updates and Bionic-specific accessories. With that being said, and I've never been one to appose Bloatware before, but I've looked through these apps, I've looked through the reviews of these apps, and I've seen the light: we should have options for these apps.

On my phone:
Verizon Video takes up 20.59M
NFL Mobile takes up 14.64M
Verizon Navigator takes up 9.77M
Citrix takes up 8.58M

They continually decrease, but there are more apps than just that—those are the big ones, and we have a fixed set amount of storage. I know every phone has preinstalled apps, but I believe Verizon has the most Bloatware as far as big-league phone companies. I've seen in the comments of the Bloatware that many people are giving one star ratings and actually "boycotting" app updates.. Whether boycotting actually has an impact on Verizon, we don't know, but the ratings are low for Bloatware apps.

As quoted by the many who have said this before: Speak Out while you still can. We're not going to be receiving many more updates, I'd like to see the day when Bloatware are just optional apps.

Open for petition, discussion, and debate.

Agreed 100%

nateohio

Reaction score
but with the recent announcement that the Bionics are going to be discontinued,
What official statement have you seen/heard/read that indicates this rumor is true?

There hasn't been an official announcement. The bionic is not being discontinued, and I am so sick of people taking internet rumor and reporting it as fact.

OP
hAHAha Halo

hAHAha Halo

Reaction score
Edited the starter post.

I went through the app drawer and picked out which ones (that are nonremovable) are essential, ones that should be the basics. The apps that I found essential came to a total of 40 apps, and the number of preloaded apps came to a total of 57.

17 apps may not seem like much, but when those apps are taking up 5 or 10+ megabytes of storage, it gets kinda ridiculous. This number can be higher depending on your opinions, for example, I did not include the starter help guides as Bloatware, but we should be able to get rid of that after we're familiar with our phones..

We don't use it. We don't want it. We should delete it.

OP
hAHAha Halo

hAHAha Halo

Reaction score
This is why we have custom roms, and you can always freeze/uninstall the bloatware

Must we root to get what we want? I will admit I rooted my OG after the warranty expired, but it wasn't worth it in the end. I flashed 30+ roms and in the end I had a processor so worn down that half the screen didn't work.

Fastforwarding to today, I don't want to go through the trouble of rooting just to remove some apps. It's not worth the risk to me. And if that was EVERYONE'S solution to Bloatware, what would be the point of Google making new softwares. People would just flash their own softwares over it. We'd be buying just hardware in the future, the preinstalled software would probably just be a setup screen, "Welcome! Please upload your preferred software to begin. "

I like having the stock software, I find it has actually less bugs than custom roms, it's never gone wrong for me, overall rooting isn't worth the risk.

welsalex

Reaction score
My god what "statement"? Internet rumor ftw here..... jesus people get it together!

Sent from my Droid BIONIC via DroidForums

aqworldthunder

Darth Droid
Reaction score
Well, they don't want people to access files that can mess up their phone.

-AqworldThunder ;) ^…^ ¶.¶ *.* Thank me if i helped please!

timmy10shoes

Reaction score
I fail to see the trouble or risk of rooting these days. Rooting will have no adverse affects on your hardware and you can always flash back to unrooted stock. The majority of smartphone users don't care or even know what bloatware is. Companies recieve a majority of their profits from advertising, which in on these platforms is bloatware. If you have the tools (which we do) it seems like its easier for us to root and choose our own apps than to expect a company to sacrifice a good chunk of their income to satisfy the few.

OP
hAHAha Halo

hAHAha Halo

Reaction score
As stated by others and as an double edit in the post, and I personally have stated, the Bionic discontinuation is just a rumor, coming from an unlikely source. BUT IN THE NAME OF THIS THREAD, we need more control over our phones, what we have on it, and without rooting. I want control over certain apps, not over the entire coding system of my phone.

timmy10shoes

Reaction score
So just so I'm straight on this. You have the option to root, giving you control over your device. Which means you can do all or nothing with it if you choose. But thats not enough? You need the the device manufactor to cater to your needs? It takes a matter of minutes to root and get rid of your issues (bloatware) but choose not too. I'm lost on what you really want them to do? lose the income from their bloatware providers?

welsalex

Reaction score
So just so I'm straight on this. You have the option to root, giving you control over your device. Which means you can do all or nothing with it if you choose. But thats not enough? You need the the device manufactor to cater to your needs? It takes a matter of minutes to root and get rid of your issues (bloatware) but choose not too. I'm lost on what you really want them to do? lose the income from their bloatware providers?

Good point. If they lose that income they'll be even less inclined to provide care an attention to upgrades/patches/etc. Yes they suck at doing that stuff now but asking more perfection in an imperfect world is insanity.

Sent from my Droid BIONIC via DroidForums

timmy10shoes

Reaction score
And on a side note, the amount of storage bloatware and system apps take up is a moot point. I have a total of 280 apps (system and downloaded) and stillbhave 2.5 gb of storage left.