Way Around Warranty Break from Rooting???

Status
Not open for further replies.

hondaguy520

Reaction score
ok i have a rooted droid 3 and i went to verizon today and try and use the manufacturers warranty to get a new phone. the auto rotate is messed up. its messed up because it got wet but both of my sensors say its a dry phone. well the lady wanted to do a reset then call tech support. they figured out it was rooted and said too bad. i replied saying ok i will take root off and if its still messed up can i come back? and she said no because motorola will plug the phone in and do a test and it will show everything ive ever done to it.

is this true? and if so is there anyway to clear that data? i need to get a new droid 3 so i can give it to someone to get an upgrade to get the nexus!!!

i was thinking of soaking the phone in water up to the water sensor so it doesnt get wet. then the phone will not turn on at all hopefully and it will show no water damage?

Insidious

Reaction score
ok i have a rooted droid 3 and i went to verizon today and try and use the manufacturers warranty to get a new phone. the auto rotate is messed up. its messed up because it got wet but both of my sensors say its a dry phone. well the lady wanted to do a reset then call tech support. they figured out it was rooted and said too bad. i replied saying ok i will take root off and if its still messed up can i come back? and she said no because motorola will plug the phone in and do a test and it will show everything ive ever done to it.

is this true? and if so is there anyway to clear that data? i need to get a new droid 3 so i can give it to someone to get an upgrade to get the nexus!!!

i was thinking of soaking the phone in water up to the water sensor so it doesnt get wet. then the phone will not turn on at all hopefully and it will show no water damage?

Just dont tell them its rooted. They'll never know. I've gotten warranty replacement or 2 or 3 rooted phones. Not through any fault of rooting though.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

OP
hondaguy520

hondaguy520

Reaction score
they told me it was rooted...which it is.... they found out when she called tech support.... the lady at verizon probably didnt even know what that was but said they cant do anything because its rooted

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
they told me it was rooted...which it is.... they found out when she called tech support.... the lady at verizon probably didnt even know what that was but said they cant do anything because its rooted

There's no way tech support knew it was rooted unless you told them.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Insidious

Reaction score
Wow they actually KNEW? Maybe try sbf'ing, that should get rid of all traces of root.

OP
hondaguy520

hondaguy520

Reaction score
i mean i have a rom thats probably how they new... it says Build Number:Steel Droid

Insidious

Reaction score
I see. If you want to stay on the rom you can edit it to read stock with a build.prop editor.

Abs

Reaction score
Hey guys try to keep this clean. Discussions about taking advantage of warrenty policies are not looking upon highly here.

Can a mod please close this

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
We don't discuss how to circumvent the warranty on your device on this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.