Watch you DVD's on your Droid...!!!!

C3-PO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG V20
A quote from WindowsGuiGuide ? HandBrake

"First things first. Handbrake on the Windows Platform does NOT decrypt Commercial DVDs. Let me repeat this. It does NOT decrypt commercial DVDs."

I tried Handrake first and it did not work for me at all. Now I understand that with Handbrake on Windows, you still need to download a decryptor. However, I purchased the full version of DVD Catalyst 3 and it works flawlessly for me and so easy to use. Just use the Droid preset. Some tweaking may be needed to sync the audio but this has not been a problem for me.

The guy who made DVD Catalyst 3 is a member of this site and I'm sure he will show up soon to help you with your audio problems. He's very helpful

JTAC

Reaction score
A quote from WindowsGuiGuide ? HandBrake

"First things first. Handbrake on the Windows Platform does NOT decrypt Commercial DVDs. Let me repeat this. It does NOT decrypt commercial DVDs."

I tried Handrake first and it did not work for me at all. Now I understand that with Handbrake on Windows, you still need to download a decryptor. However, I purchased the full version of DVD Catalyst 3 and it works flawlessly for me and so easy to use. Just use the Droid preset. Some tweaking may be needed to sync the audio but this has not been a problem for me.

The guy who made DVD Catalyst 3 is a member of this site and I'm sure he will show up soon to help you with your audio problems. He's very helpful

I second that. I tried both the old and new versions of HandBrake MANY times. Each time the audio is out of sync (no matter how high or low I go with the bitrate). Catalyst 3 on the other hand has been flawless from the start, no audio or video issues. It costs $9.99 but you get a good program and someone to actually help you...if you have any questions.

segen77

Reaction score
take this for what it's worth.

I just DL'd handbrake, and spent the last 20 mins jacking with it to get it to work on two different dvd's. uninstalled it, and payed the $10 for dvd cat. it's just stupid simple to use, and $10 isn't going to break me.

Although. I will say that dvd cat isn't as fast as I'd like. It could just a easily be my computer.

Erich_F

Reaction score
When putting a movie together for my Droid on DVD Cat, I set to the Droid HQ2 preset, then modify bit rates to 1200 on video and 128 on audio. Anymore is just a waste. Remember, the Droid screen is very nice, but HD it aint. :)

mjs31

Reaction score
It's spelled Handbrake, not Handbreak. Google Handbrake. It's the first link.

P.S. Unless something changed, you still need a 'decrypter' like DVD43. Handbrake is just a converter.

LMAO...my bad..sorry. I knew that, just typing away and didn't pay attention.

mjs31

Reaction score
Strange stuff. I have done well over 20 movies and have done at least 10 with different converters including catalyst. Every time...Handbrake was the only one that stayed in sync after FF and RW. Could be the computer itself as well. I run INtell Core I7 Processor with 8 GB of ram. Running windows 7 since the betas and now running the released version. I also made sure to do high action types with big animation (GI Joe, Transformers etc) and regular suspense movies. I guess try them all and find that one that works for you. I do use Act 1 video player, but the regular one does not have an issue either.

mjs31

Reaction score
It's spelled Handbrake, not Handbreak. Google Handbrake. It's the first link.

P.S. Unless something changed, you still need a 'decrypter' like DVD43. Handbrake is just a converter.

When putting a movie together for my Droid on DVD Cat, I set to the Droid HQ2 preset, then modify bit rates to 1200 on video and 128 on audio. Anymore is just a waste. Remember, the Droid screen is very nice, but HD it aint. :)

Actually...1000 is easily easily doable and will save space. I did comparisons for various bit rates and really could not tell any difference. I stick with 1000br now. This is using HB though.

*HandBrake setup (Choose Ipod Legacy to start)*
Picture settings:
- Width/Height left blank in both fields (people try to manipulate this to much and get ratios out of whack)
- Anamorphic - None
- Crop -Automatic

Video tab:
- H.264 (x264)
- Framerate - Same as source
- Avg bitrate - 1000

Audtio Tab:
: AAC /Stereo 48,000/160

That is it.....

tc1

Reaction score
I also use DVD Catalyst 3.0 It works very well, but don't make the bit rate too high, or the video and audio will not match up. It will look like a bad Japanese translated movie :)

from this, it's clear I'm converting my movies wrong. Would you mind posting your settings for your conversion? I also purchased the DVD Catalyst 3.0 version. It's been extremely frustrating because all of my converted shows/movies are like "a bad Japanese translated movie" lool...

And I thought it was the players, from the original droid players to the apps... every one of my shows' audios lag behind the video and I've been very frustrated to the point of not watching anything on my droid anymore (which was very disappointing for me)...

Hmmm...I really dont think its DVD cat.....could be old video audio codecs interfering with each other.

I would uninstall all video converters(including DVD cat) restart and install dvd cat again.

D

dvdcatalyst

I just DL'd handbrake, and spent the last 20 mins jacking with it to get it to work on two different dvd's. uninstalled it, and payed the $10 for dvd cat. it's just stupid simple to use, and $10 isn't going to break me.

Although. I will say that dvd cat isn't as fast as I'd like. It could just a easily be my computer.

install the (free) boosterpack, it will speed things up. In addition, you can turn off the CPU indicators, which will gain you even more speed (global settings > advanced)

D

dvdcatalyst

I was out for a few hours (bad weather here, icy roads, so things went slow) and for some reason, I missed this thread when it started.

Anyway, I picked a few posts to answer :)

I downloaded the free version, which device should I choose because it doesn't have the DROID as a device?

is there a device on the free version that is compatible with the DROID?

The iPhone profile will work, as well as some of the Blackberry profiles (Bold/Storm) The BB profiles have a slightly higher resolution, but no Droid profile, sorry.

from this, it's clear I'm converting my movies wrong. Would you mind posting your settings for your conversion? I also purchased the DVD Catalyst 3.0 version. It's been extremely frustrating because all of my converted shows/movies are like "a bad Japanese translated movie" lool...

Try playing the files on your computer (quicktime will play them) If the audio is out of sync there too, it might be something thats interfering (DVD burner program) or if you are converting from a non-commercial dvd (as in burned/backup) there might be an issue with the source video/dvd.
If the files play fine on your computer, but not on the Droid, it's a quality setting (too high) Try a DVD using the default settings, and see if you get good results that way.

Hmmm...I really dont think its DVD cat.....could be old video audio codecs interfering with each other.
I would uninstall all video converters(including DVD cat) restart and install dvd cat again.

DVDCat has its own codecs, and does not use any you have on your computer (reduces the chance of compatibility issues) however, some programs, Nero, Roxio, Adobe, Pinacle, DIVX can (not always) interfere. These programs usually monitor continiously for stuff they can help with, and interfere with the conversion. DIVX tends to do this with converting from and to avi files, pinnacle studio and nero can do this with mp4 video files as well.

WonderMike

Reaction score

install the (free) boosterpack, it will speed things up. In addition, you can turn off the CPU indicators, which will gain you even more speed (global settings > advanced)

DVDCATALYST,

I'm a recent CloneDVDMobile to DVDCat convert.. and i'm very pleased with it, and have used it on my psp, DROID, and blackberry successfully..

Can you give us a rundown of "best", "tips", on speeding up the conversion (global settings, video, audio, rates, etc..) ? because it is drastically different by default than Clone and others; yet quality is much better..

Maybe Fastest --- Faster -- Fast??

Eternally grateful!

Mj

Erich_F

Reaction score
I downloaded the free version, which device should I choose because it doesn't have the DROID as a device?

is there a device on the free version that is compatible with the DROID?

The iPhone profile will work, as well as some of the Blackberry profiles (Bold/Storm) The BB profiles have a slightly higher resolution, but no Droid profile, sorry.
Hey DVDCat, thanks for coming on to the discussion here. In regards to what you stated above, what is depicted in my screen shot, if not a Droid Profile?

erich_f-albums-main-picture264-droid-dvdcat-profile.jpg

Thanks for any clarification you can offer.

Also, what is faster to convert, higher or lower bit rate? I did a 1:30 movie today and it took about three hours to convert at 1200/128.

Cheers,

D

dvdcatalyst

I'm a recent CloneDVDMobile to DVDCat convert.. and i'm very pleased with it, and have used it on my psp, DROID, and blackberry successful..

Can you give us a rundown of "best", "tips", on speeding up the conversion (global settings, video, audio, rates, etc..) ? because it is drastically different by default than Clone and others; yet quality is much better..

Maybe Fastest --- Faster -- Fast??

Eternally grateful!

Mj

I will write up something on the website in this regard today or tomorow, but a quick rundown I can do:

Basically the Boosterpack is something definately worth the download. It's free, and it makes dvdcat work better with the newer core chips as well as the newer AMD's.

With 3.84.1 I changed the refreshrate of the cpu indicators which gives it a little boost, but it's best to turn them off for performance reasons. They look cool (I think) but they serve no real purpose.
These two things alone can almost double the speed without quality loss :)

the conversion formats used in the Droid profiles do differ. h264_ipod is pretty much the same as h264_ipod_hq (used in the HQ profiles) except some additional quality-parameters have been applied without any regards for speed. The difference is about 10%, meaning, if you use a 1100kbps using the standard profile and 1000kbps on the HQ profile, the quality will be pretty much the same. Speedwise, the standard one is on my core2duo laptop about 2x as fast.

Personally I dont see the difference between 1500kbps or 1000kbps on a small screen, so lower would work just as good, however, I actually watch my own conversions (iPod Touch optimized, I dont own a Droid :icon_eek: myself) on a 32" LCD TV or on my 17" laptop screen, full screen. Then I do notice the difference.
So with the bitrate/hq stuff, it depends on what else you do with your files.

I hope this helps a bit.