DVD Catalyst

daddyd302

Reaction score
How long does it take you guys to rip a dvd with the default settings on DVD Catalyst? It takes me about 20-30 minutes to rip a dvd on my computer, which has the Intel i7 [email protected] GHz. Is this normal? Faster? Slow? I have enable the boosterpack and it helped a little bit.

D

dvdcatalyst

How long does it take you guys to rip a dvd with the default settings on DVD Catalyst? It takes me about 20-30 minutes to rip a dvd on my computer, which has the Intel i7 [email protected] GHz. Is this normal? Faster? Slow? I have enable the boosterpack and it helped a little bit.

It depends on the settings you are using, the length of the DVD, and if you have any other things going on as well.

tools4movies.com said:
on a core2duo 2.16Ghz system, conversion speed using the Apple iPhone format at it’s default settings went up by 30%
DVD conversion speed: a 2 hour movie in about 30 minutes!
on a Core i7-920, 2,66MHz, Quad Core system, the Apple iPhone conversion format went up from 4x speed to 12x speed (66%)
DVD conversion speed: a 2 hour movie in about 10 minutes!
on a Dual Quad Core Xeon, the HTC Touch HD HQ format at it’s defaults went up by about 20% (note this is for the HQ format, not the standard)
DVD conversion speed: a 2 hour movie in about 15 minutes!

the Touch HD HQ format is pretty much the same as the Droid HQ format. The resolution is slightly less for the HTC.
The iPhone (standard) profile has a lower resolution than the Droid setting, and also uses a conversion format thats more focused on speed.

D

dvdcatalyst

I forgot to mention,
By turning off the CPU indicators (Global Settings > Advanced, at the bottom) you gain a little more speed. While it does not take much to show them (and it looks kinda cool :)), especially on faster computers, the little it uses does make a difference on the conversion speed.

JTAC

Reaction score
Takes me awhile, only because my laptop is a dinosaur.

mammlouk

Reaction score
Boy are we spoiled these days... I remember ripping DVDs as an 8 hour event on my 700Mhz PIII to divx and rmv9 because Xvid wasn't up to snuff. Now we complain about about 30 minutes to rip to beautiful h264! Haha, how fast things change and how soon we forget!

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
haha, yes... 8 hr rips... mine were longer, from what i recall.. leave it on overnight, and half the time there was an error halfway through...

but boy it was worth ripping Godzilla!

cyber3d

Reaction score
My settings (Droid HQ with audio 256K) are giving me rips at 78%. My PC is a dual core Intel at 1.83GHz with 2GB RAM.

D

dvdcatalyst

For me it was with my first PocketPC. I had a lot of DIVX rips, and had to convert them one by one using Windows Media Encoder. Thats how DVD Catalyst was born. First a little calculator to get the filesize right (128MB SD card), then something for the screen, then a batch conversion so I could queue up multiple movies rather than setting a new one up every 6 hours.
I was actually using a Dual Pentium 2 450 system at the time, LOL

D

dvdcatalyst

My settings (Droid HQ with audio 256K) are giving me rips at 78%. My PC is a dual core Intel at 1.83GHz with 2GB RAM.

Your speed sounds about right for the settings you are using. H264 video is quite processor demanding.

Turn off the processor indicators in DVD Catalyst, should get you up a bit more.

I forgot to mention,
By turning off the CPU indicators (Global Settings > Advanced, at the bottom) you gain a little more speed. While it does not take much to show them (and it looks kinda cool :)), especially on faster computers, the little it uses does make a difference on the conversion speed.

mammlouk

Reaction score
haha, yes... 8 hr rips... mine were longer, from what i recall.. leave it on overnight, and half the time there was an error halfway through...

but boy it was worth ripping Godzilla!
Yeah, the two pass encodes in Xmpeeg often predicted 8hrs and took 10 - 12. I learned quickly that you'd better be positive before starting an overnight encode because a crash between passes would make for a grouchy morning!

The Fast and the Furious was the big one for me, I must've re encoded it at least 10 times before I got the qualtiy I wanted and a file that would fit onto a 700mb CD with overburn! :icon_ banana:

JTAC

Reaction score
I encoded the entire Star Wars saga onto my Droid....that was a b!*ch! Now to upload it, hope my computer doesn't catch fire in the middle of the night.

serum153

Reaction score
This program is awesome. 2 hour movies in about 45-55 minutes for me using JTacs droid settings (which are amazing). It is definitely a cpu hog throughout as my cpu use says 100% lol. I have a hp laptop with a core 2 duo @ 2 ghz with 4 gigs a ram running vista 7.

What is everyone using to play the videos on your droids? I am using the gallery, but can't stand how it doesn't show you the details. I click on the movie select details, then again and again and again.

D

dvdcatalyst

This program is awesome. 2 hour movies in about 45-55 minutes for me using JTacs droid settings (which are amazing). It is definitely a cpu hog throughout as my cpu use says 100% lol. I have a hp laptop with a core 2 duo @ 2 ghz with 4 gigs a ram running vista 7.

Do you have the (free) boosterpack installed? This will speed up conversions a bit.
45-55 minutes fror a 2hour movie sounds about right on a core2duo laptop.

What is everyone using to play the videos on your droids? I am using the gallery, but can't stand how it doesn't show you the details. I click on the movie select details, then again and again and again.

If you want the titles to display...there's an app for that. Check "Video Player", "Cinema", "Act 1 Video Player". I know for a fact that all 3 display titles.

serum153

Reaction score
Thank you sir for this and all the other advice and help that you offer these forums

**Edit - the boosterpack seems to have REALLY increased performance. I am doing scarface right now which is 2 hours and 49 minutes long and my estimated time is at 52 minutes. I will have to redo a movie that I recall the time on to see what the time savings is.

Last edited:
D

dvdcatalyst

**Edit - the boosterpack seems to have REALLY increased performance. I am doing scarface right now which is 2 hours and 49 minutes long and my estimated time is at 52 minutes. I will have to redo a movie that I recall the time on to see what the time savings is.
Glad to hear it. On average, the boosterpack makes DVD Catalyst about 20% faster, but for more cores and newer processors, it usually is a bit more than that.
Another trick to gain even more is to turn off the cpu indicators (Global Settings > Advanced)
You can do this while the conversion is running :)