Watch you DVD's on your Droid...!!!!

D

dvdcatalyst

I downloaded the free version, which device should I choose because it doesn't have the DROID as a device?

is there a device on the free version that is compatible with the DROID?

The iPhone profile will work, as well as some of the Blackberry profiles (Bold/Storm) The BB profiles have a slightly higher resolution, but no Droid profile, sorry.
Hey DVDCat, thanks for coming on to the discussion here. In regards to what you stated above, what is depicted in my screen shot, if not a Droid Profile?

erich_f-albums-main-picture264-droid-dvdcat-profile.jpg

Thanks for any clarification you can offer.

Also, what is faster to convert, higher or lower bit rate? I did a 1:30 movie today and it took about three hours to convert at 1200/128.

Cheers,

I have 2 apps (at the moment)

DVD Catalyst 3, which has a Free Trial and a Retail version, and then there is DVD Catalyst Free, a different program that rips DVDs just like v3 does, but does not have any configuration options, and only has a couple of common profiles.

The bitrate affects a bit, but the hq/non-hq profile difference is a bigger difference. FOr some reason everyone is using the HQ profile, and no-one actually commented on the quality of the standard one. On a small screen it's not really that much difference, especially on the bitrates that people are using :)

TRY THE STANDARD PROFILE !

LOL

It might sound weird, but my own video files are not perfect. While I can easily make them perfect, I dont have the patience to wait longer, just to get the perfect file. I rather fit a full season of 24 on my 8GB iPod Touch than to have only 12 episodes at the best quality. Sure, some movies I do at a better quality, just because I think they are worth it, but a few artifacts once in a while on a Schwarsenegger or Van Damme movie from the 80's, I don't care. Its still perfectly watchable.

Just like a post I read in a different thread here, usually it's a spur of the moment decision on what you want to watch. I can rip a movie in about 30-40 minutes to iPod format, so when I wake up, I just start a conversion before I take a shower, and when I get my coffee, I transfer my video over while checking emails.

WonderMike

Reaction score
Truly honorable my friend ~

Thanks so much!

Looking forward to your full write up :)

Mj

I just read your reply and I think you may be my twin brother.. Currently, Commando, JCVD, Kickboxer, and Running Man are ripping as we speak..

truly glad i bought the program!

Attachments

• crazy_karate_face_3.jpg
    crazy_karate_face_3.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 142

Erich_F

Reaction score
DVDCat, you're the bomb, my friend. Yes, I have the full purchase version, and love it. I just converted a video using the standard conversion format. It's just fine, and it (8:30 video) only took 4 minutes to convert.

Thanks,

D

dvdcatalyst

Truly honorable my friend ~

Thanks so much!

Looking forward to your full write up :)

Mj

I just read your reply and I think you may be my twin brother.. Currently, Commando, JCVD, Kickboxer, and Running Man are ripping as we speak..

truly glad i bought the program!

hahaha, what about these?

American Ninja, Airwolf, A-Team
Tonight I dont think I can get to the write-up, (being emailed/pm-ed and replied to death atm, and I'm shampooing the carpet in the house) but I'll do some work on it tomorow.

D

dvdcatalyst

DVDCat, you're the bomb, my friend. Yes, I have the full purchase version, and love it. I just converted a video using the standard conversion format. It's just fine, and it (8:30 video) only took 4 minutes to convert.

Thanks,
:icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana:
You are welcome,
and thank you for at least giving the standard profile a shot

:icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana:

Erich_F

Reaction score
hahaha, what about these?

American Ninja, Airwolf, A-Team
Tonight I dont think I can get to the write-up, (being emailed/pm-ed and replied to death atm, and I'm shampooing the carpet in the house) but I'll do some work on it tomorow.

HAH! Airwolf...one of my favs from the 80s :icon_ banana::icon_ banana: Just check my avatar and you'd see why :)

I have the first three seasons on DVD....gotta get busy now!

WonderMike

Reaction score
any guy named Jan who flys a Helicopter is cool by association.. although the rest of his career didn't bode as well..

watch your back on that carpet machine! i had one put me down for a week in pain!

i'm trying the settings you listed now..

much appreciated!

WonderMike

Reaction score
In regards to your note about users choosing HQ in droves is simple.. because it says "HQ".. if given a choice between HQ and average title when about to given pretty much anything I can think of in life, let alone products.. i choose HQ!

you could probably name the worst possible profile of settings HQ or HD, or even make something up with those letters in it somewhere and get more volume than ever before..

try CRAP-HD_HQ and i predict 300 downloads in 24hrs! LOL

Mj

D

dvdcatalyst

any guy named Jan who flys a Helicopter is cool by association.. although the rest of his career didn't bode as well..

watch your back on that carpet machine! i had one put me down for a week in pain!

i'm trying the settings you listed now..

much appreciated!

True, unfortunately, I never got more than a mini rc and ms flightsim :)
Yeah, unfortunately all he basically had was Airwolf. Still, I watch the full series at least once a year still.

As for the carpet cleaner, its a smaller one, kinda like an upright vacuum cleaner, so not much worries about my back, thanks though. Getting the place all pristine before x-mas, bah humbug.

HAH! Airwolf...one of my favs from the 80s :icon_ banana::icon_ banana: Just check my avatar and you'd see why :)

I have the first three seasons on DVD....gotta get busy now!

In my opinion there are only 3 seasons. the 4th one doesn't count. I tried 2 episodes, and stopped. I did not want to taint my memories of the show.

It's the same as what they did with the A-team, when they put "the man from U.N.C.L.E" in there, it was over.

In regards to your note about users choosing HQ in droves is simple.. because it says "HQ".. if given a choice between HQ and average title when about to given pretty much anything I can think of in life, let alone products.. i choose HQ!

you could probably name the worst possible profile of settings HQ or HD, or even make something up with those letters in it somewhere and get more volume than ever before..

try CRAP-HD_HQ and i predict 300 downloads in 24hrs! LOL

Mj

LOL, good point. While not the same, I have had some controversial marketing ideas I wanted to try, but I got scared. Have you ever seen that Dudly Moore movie where he has a bunch of mental patients do marketing campains, Crazy People?

pennypritty1

Reaction score
The video quality setting is a little different between Android vs Motorola video player device, even tho both have the option of HQ2... should we necessarily go for the Motorola--since it IS the phone we have--or can we just go ahead and use the Android option as is screen-captured here...? sorry, I'm fairly literal with instructions; thanks so much :)

D

dvdcatalyst

The video quality setting is a little different between Android vs Motorola video player device, even tho both have the option of HQ2... should we necessarily go for the Motorola--since it IS the phone we have--or can we just go ahead and use the Android option as is screen-captured here...? sorry, I'm fairly literal with instructions; thanks so much :)

The settings should be the same, there basically is no difference between the Motorola or the Android version. A Droid is a Droid. Typo on my end when I made the profile, however, even 800kbps on the standard profile provides good quality.

D

dvdcatalyst

Just an added note for anyone who is just starting with video on their Droid.

The quality of the video entirely depends on you.

Some people want the best possible quality, and use the maximum settings the Droid can handle (1500kbps for video), regardless on how big the video file is, while other people are perfectly happy with a good looking video thats less than half the filesize.
The quality also depends on your own needs. If you take your Droid on a trip, would you rather have 4 movies that are perfect, or 20 movies that are perfectly watchable.
Of course you can mix and match, put a super-quality movie on there to show off to your friends, and fill the rest up with a couple of seasons of your favorite TV show. I believe the Droid comes with 32GB of memory, I can fit 10 seasons of Friends and 6 seasons of 2 1/2 Men (total about 120 hours of video) on that in a good enough quality that its enjoyable to watch. Not perfect, but still good enough for me to watch. While for some people the quality might not be sufficient, but it all depends on your own idea of quality.

There are very few people who can tell the difference between 1000kbps and 1500kbps. There is a difference, but for me it's only noticable when I view the files on a big screen, such as a laptop. On a device such as the Droid, you have to look really close to see. The difference in filesize is about 33%, so if the 1500kbps file is 1.5GB, the 1000kbps file is 1GB. On the 32GB memory of the Droid, this basically means that you can fit 20 1500kbps movies, or 32 (12 more !) 1GB movies on it, with only a small difference. If you are comfortable with a little less quality, 800kbps will gain you another 3 movies or so.

Anyway, what I am trying to say is, find your own sweet spot of quality. Because a device can handle a certain quality setting, it does not mean you actually have to use that, you can use less, and put on more movies :)
Play around with a few different settings, (use the same movie to compare it though) and find your own setting.

WonderMike

Reaction score
just wanted to drop a quick update.. and it really echos exactly what DVDCat has outlined..

i ran 2 more 1.5hour + sized movies on the Standard DROID, profile, and they were finished in 30-45 minutes.. Quality was great.. the difference between the standard and HQ quality when viewed on the DROID is minimal..

I ran Wolverine on HQ originally and then on standard DROID profiles.. There is a difference if you watch closely.. during major crash scenes where there is fire, explosions, and more... you may see a pixel or odd spot in the motions, but its no different than watching an LCD TV, or most laptops watching a full standard DVD...

it's a matter of choice and necessity.. personally, i'd rather have a large library of movies or shows to watch anytime that are still miles beyond other phone movie players.. and even my shiny new-ish PSP 3K.. for certain flicks I'll jump up to the higher rates/HQ profile, (IE- Terminator, Wolverine, etc.. ) but for clutch movies and shows i've probably seen 5-6 dozen times, the standard profile is more than adequate, and is 1/3 the time..

Awesome Product !

Now if you could just create an exchange product that also holds all of your Pop3 accounts, allows signatures, and handles Push and Active Synch CORRECTLY~ :)

thanks again!

Mj

erinquig

Reaction score
Help!

Ok - I think I've followed all of the directions correctly. I'm using the DVD Cat 3 3.84.1 Trial (to make sure it worked before purchasing) and can't get the videos to play on my Moto Droid.
I used the Droid settings on DVD Cat (not HQ!) that seemed to work as I can watch the file on my lap top.
I transferred the file to my phone, and have tried watching it using Act 1 Video (trial), Cinema, Video Player, and Gallery. Act 1 says "There was an unkown error with the video (1,-17)", Cinema just goes to a black screen, Gallery says, "Sorry, this video cannot be played."
What have I done wrong??