want to turn off notifications every night

segen77

Reaction score
I'm sure this app is out there but I don't know What to search for. I need an app that automatically turns off my mail and text notifications at a certain time and then turns them back on at a certain time. I'm tired of hearing it at night but I use my phone as my alarm and I need to hear it ring if I get a call

Any ideas?

Thanks

issues636

Reaction score
there are programs such as Locale that can set your notifications/ringer high/low/off depending on situation (time of day, etc), but you can also do it manually. there's an option in your alarm clock that will make it override your current sound settings, so you can just manually set your droid to silent, and the alarm will still be heard.

**edit**
disregard that second part about the manual doing. i didn't see your last few words where you also said "if i get a call". you want exactly what i'm doing, and i do it with Locale. at 9:00 every night my phone shuts notifications off, i don't hear email, text, aim, etc. at the same time my ringer is still on full blast, and so is my alarm.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think timeriffic from the market is the perfect app for this (it's what I use) and it's free. Just make it to turn your notification sound off at a certain time and back on in the morning.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you want to go hog wild with controlling your phone, get Tasker:

Tasker for Android
Looks really promising but for whatever reason, tasker nor file magic show up in the market. I'm using cyanogen rom though, really wanted to try it out too. :(

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Stretch2m

Reaction score
You have to download it from the forum on the Tasker site. They haven't put it on the Market yet. Go to the forum, then open "Tasker-General", then open the thread for "latest version". The apk is in there. Try it out - I think you'll like it. I started testing with their beta 0.1-something, and now it's up to 0.27b and getting better all the time.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
You have to download it from the forum on the Tasker site. They haven't put it on the Market yet. Go to the forum, then open "Tasker-General", then open the thread for "latest version". The apk is in there. Try it out - I think you'll like it. I started testing with their beta 0.1-something, and now it's up to 0.27b and getting better all the time.
Oh lol! I knew it, I went to the forum but completely missed lol, thanks for the heads up.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
I use Timeriffic as well, for exactly what you are wanting to do (and more). I silence all my notification sounds at 11:00pm and then bring them back up in the morning.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you want to go hog wild with controlling your phone, get Tasker:

Tasker for Android
Man tasker is freaking crazy (in a good way). Definitely does a lot of awesome things, has the potential to replace a lot of apps too. Just wish it didn't take up so much memory.

If all you want to do is silence your phone at night, timeriffic is great. Tasker might be overkill (takes up quite a bit of memory; about 10mb).

OP
S

segen77

Reaction score
thanks. i'm going to try timeriffic tonight.

gavinsnana

Reaction score
son in Afganistan

I am going to download Timeriffic but I have a question - I have a son in the USMC that is in Afganistan right now. My phone is always wih me in case he is able to call - therefore I dislike silencing it all at night. Is there some other app that I can set to receive calls at night from only numbers NOT in my contacts. Might be a little far fetched but thought I would ask.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
I am going to download Timeriffic but I have a question - I have a son in the USMC that is in Afganistan right now. My phone is always wih me in case he is able to call - therefore I dislike silencing it all at night. Is there some other app that I can set to receive calls at night from only numbers NOT in my contacts. Might be a little far fetched but thought I would ask.

Well you can just silence notifications and leave the ringer volume at 100%. That's what I do. I don't want emails or text messages waking me up...but if someone is calling me....it's usually for a reason so I want that to ring.

basic profile would be..
Mon-Fri
10:00pm Ringer 100%, Notifications 0%
7:00am Ringer 100%, Notifications 100%

or such.

I have quite a few profiles configured...

Week days (work hours)
Week day nights
Weekends
Sunday church service

Week day for me is 8:00am - 4:30pm and has a profile like this..

8 am Mon-Fri, Mute, Vibrate, Ringer 0%, Notifications 0%, WiFi on
4:30 pm Mon-Fri, Ring, Vibrate, Ringer 100%, Notifications 100%, WiFi off

This makes my phone vibrate for everything during the day while at work and uses the office WiFi since our building blocks almost all of the cell data signal. It then turns the volume up when it's time to leave and also turns off the WiFi.

You can configure multiple profiles.

gavinsnana

Reaction score
Thank you. You are right if the phone does ring at night it is usually something we need to answer. I have been woke up from email and text notifications so this is going to be great.

stevenfstein1

Reaction score
I use Sound Manager. You can set up a schedule but I just slide the Notification Volume to the left and turn down the ringer a little. Only problem is sometimes I forget to slide back to full.
Regards.... Steve