VZW disabling tethering apps from market

Status
Not open for further replies.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I bet everyone would be up in arms if internet service providers made you pay a separate $20 charge for each device that connects to the internet through their network. That's just completely absurd, why should I pay a separate charge to connect each internet capable device to the internet. Off the top of my head, I can count 14 different devices in my house that I connect to the internet not including the three smartphones we have.

But that's because the terms it was sold, nor do they have the same capacity constraints. VZW never sold their service as a broadband replacement, so I don't see the issue. Now, if they want to cap then I agree data is data, but selling unlimited data on one device vs. multiple devices is clearly different and the usage would be significantly different. When people violate that TOS, data usage increases and it changes the dynamic (i.e. the average person uses 2gigs on their data plan, but with tethering replacing broadband it could be 10-20 gigs) forcing VZW to either cap or hammer down on tethering.

And, by the way, some broadband providers are talking about capping data (150-200 gigs). Between torrents and people replacing cable with Hulu and Netflix and the like it's changing the dynamic, especially when you consider the cable provider is providing both cable and broadband. If people are trying to game the system replacing cable with broadband it shouldn't be surprising that they will make-up that loss by charging high bandwidth users more.

Difault

Reaction score
You're already paying for a data plan. Why wouldn't they just let you use the data you're already paying for. $20 just to add a screen to the data you're already paying for is ridiculous

Beardface

Reaction score
I bet everyone would be up in arms if internet service providers made you pay a separate $20 charge for each device that connects to the internet through their network. That's just completely absurd, why should I pay a separate charge to connect each internet capable device to the internet. Off the top of my head, I can count 14 different devices in my house that I connect to the internet not including the three smartphones we have.
What an absolutely ridiculous comparison. Abso-freakin-lootley ridonkulous comparison.

When you pay for internet in your household, thats what you're paying for, the internet to your house. Doesn't matter how many instances you have connected, you are paying for it to your house.

When you are paying it on your cell plan, you are paying it to that one cell device. Only one. Nowhere in the contract does it give you any wiggle room to do otherwise. If you have a family plan, does your $30 per month count for all the devices? No, just one device. You pay that $30 for that ONE device to be hooked up to their data, and thats unlimited data for that ONE device. If you hook anything up to that device and hack it in a way that you do it for free you are doing so against the terms of your contract. If you're on that said family plan, every single device that uses 3G or 4G will need to pay that $30.

Stop trying to cry and complain. You know what you're doing. You're not entitled to anything, and its the entitled attitudes like this that are causing this kind of crackdown to happen. In the TBolt forum we had some schmuck on there saying how he tethers 20GB a month using his device as his internet, hooking up a laptop, desktop, and TV to the device. And we wonder why Verizon is doing this.

the86d

Reaction score
I would gladly pay $5/month for the ability to tether legit, but $20 for the same data is absurd... completely! Data is already $30/month and I use on AVG about 256MB/month MAX. If I tether like 5-15MB while at the airport on the weekend here and there it hurts their network 0%, ZERO FREAKING PERCENT.

freezyfreaky

Reaction score
So let me get this straight... You think once Verizon successfully locks everyone else out of providing tethering on their network, they are going to lower their prices for everyone?

Nope, not happening. In fact, its more likely they come out with stricter guidelines, harsher penalties, and a higher baseline cost for the services. You speak of market forces and user demand. Those are meaningless if they are the only ones providing that service on their network. If they have no competition, why would they set a competitive price? If anything, they'll set a monopolistic price and you can take it or leave it.

This is like thinking that once OPEC seals control over the entire world's stock of oil, they'll lower prices due to market forces.

The reason why I believe this can happen is because if enough people are "stealing" their service and they can't stop it, it may be worth their while to try and make some money off it by making it cheaper so some of those tetherers will pay instead of prosecuting their customers and driving them away. Sort of what happened with the music industry.
They can stop it, and believe me, they will find a way, and once they do, anyone and everyone that is using it will be screwed. You could see the charges showing up on your account unannounced, you could see the cease and desist pop up messages, you could see them fining you, or heck, you could see them terminate your service early (including an early termination penalty) for a breach of contract and 'stealing' their data regardless of your plan. Who knows, but something is coming. They wouldn't just do this now if they weren't about ready to start some kind of massive crackdown.

At this point, if you keep tethering, you're just asking for it.

No worries here with tethering here. I actually pay for MiFi since I need it for work. :)

freezyfreaky

Reaction score
All I know is, when Verizon goes to only exclusively tiered data plans, they should allow tethering at no additional charge and no bandwidth throttle as long as you are within your allotted data limit.

the86d

Reaction score
All I know is, when Verizon goes to only exclusively tiered data plans, they should allow tethering at no additional charge and no bandwidth throttle as long as you are within your allotted data limit.

Someone else with a brain! Props to you, Sir!

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
If Verizon wants to fix the problem they need to target their top data users and alter their contracts from unlimited when they start tier pricing and leave everyone else alone.
Think you sir,now thats what im talkin about!!!We all pay the cost,for a few who do wrong,but this is way for them to charge everybody and make mor money and @ the same time stay lagit!!!! :-(

silverfang77

Reaction score
They won't. They'll screw us over any way they can. The FTC has been derelict in its duty to prevent monopolistic abuse.

Tappin' and talkin' with Tappatalk

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
That would b nice,but they make more MONEY doing it the way they r gonna do it-theyve done math-the numbers add up to-"MO MONEY,MO MONEY,MO MONEY"

eddyspda

Reaction score
It is another way for them to make money, I worked there for over 10 years and they deleted my position company wide, they have always looked for ways to make money. There not a non profit org. BUT! I too use pdanet, I have dsl for home, when I am on the go with my laptop of my home internet is down I use it then. It is a double charge and a double standard. They have done this in the past and will continue to do it. When we were Alltel they did it ( for those in the old Alltel markets ). I too would pay say 10.00 for tether but I want unlimited, it shouldn't be different that what I all ready pay. Oh see there is that double standard. I am paying once and now twice.
I use maybe 2 gigs a month and that is mostly with my phone only and no tethering.

freezyfreaky

Reaction score
That would b nice,but they make more MONEY doing it the way they r gonna do it-theyve done math-the numbers add up to-"MO MONEY,MO MONEY,MO MONEY"

I think they can actually make more money with overage charges like cell phone minutes.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
They won't. They'll screw us over any way they can. The FTC has been derelict in its duty to prevent monopolistic abuse.

VZW is not a monopoly nor do I see what exactly they are abusing.

While I agree that tiered data plans should include free tether within the tier, VZW is unlikely to do this. What people fail to consider is all the users paying for mobile broadband. That would mean to carry the same prices VZW would have to charge something like $50-$80 for 5gigs of data, including tether. Now, if you don't tether or do so very sparingly, do you want to pay $50?

Tethering is a service which VZW (and other carriers) have successfully monetized. To expect them to give up that revenue stream isn't remotely realistic. And the alternative to include tether would necessitate higher smartphone data plans which would be awful for the majority of smartphone users who don't need tether. No thank you, I'd rather pay $30 for 5 gigs then $50 for a tethering option I don't really need.

Maybe one of the lesser carriers will do this (I think TMo does). And I'm sure VZW will welcome you to switch. But the simple reality is while many people will whine and complain, most aren't going to leave VZW's superior network because if they didn't value that service they'd already be somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.