VooDoo OTA Rootkeeper & ICS OTA Failure

madmako

Reaction score
I permitted the ICS download from VZW but did not install. I went to VooDoo Rootkeeper to temporarily unroot and then proceeded to install ICS. About 25% into the upgrade, the yellow status bar at the bottom of the screen stopped and a white triangle with an exclamation mark appeared and the process halted. The device automatically rebooted back to it original state with a message that the update failed. In the next attempt, I temporarily unrooted with VooDoo FIRST and then proceeded with the upgrade process with a new download from VZW. The failed results were the same. I currently have: Bionic Bootstrapper, Superuser and SuperSU (from a previous recommendation), but have not done anything with them. The only reason I ever really rooted was so I could used Titanium Backup Pro. But, I have to wonder if it's really worth it all since every upgrade is never hassle free, no matter how I try to prevent it. Anyone with a suggestion? Thanks much!

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
You can easily root after the ICS .246 OTA using razr's edge..... so no reason not to be completely stock .905 in order to take that OTA, no need to try to have anything about root on your phone when taking the OTA.

OP
M

madmako

Reaction score
Thank you, Mbk, for your response. However, I don't understand as to how you recommend I proceed at this point.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
If the update is failing, it is likely due to it not being completely stock .905..... so you can either FXZ back to .902 and perhaps even straight to .246 using the .2746 FXZ, or I think you can use Samuri's House of Bionics method (I've not tried the HoB method)....

OP
M

madmako

Reaction score
Thanks again for your response. Both. 902 and. 905 I had to "cable up" and run community provided routines which brought me up to date and left root in place. It now appears I'm faced with the same type of thing for the third time.

Would it be easier to perform a wipe? Though, if my. 905 is somehow or another not stock, wouldn't I just set myself back even further having lost apps, email setups, lost contacts, etc?

Maybe, I should try HoB or something and get ready to cable-up again.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
cabling up?? meaning connected via USB?
.902 & .905 cableup and routine?? meaning you FXZ'd?

OP
M

madmako

Reaction score
Just noticed you were involved in my last FXZ

cabling up?? meaning connected via USB? .902 & .905 cableup and routine?? meaning you FXZ'd?
Yes sir, I meant USB. For my last point release upgrade, Sargentmajord posted how-to instructions to: "5.5.5.893 fxz 901 and 902 compatible update" which allowed me to get to .905. As a matter of fact, he gave you credit for your contribution. Sadly, for whatever reason, I find myself in the same boat again. Is there a way to validate/verify that my current .905 is stock? Given that I've done nothing out of the ordinary with the device, not even removal/freeze of bloatware, I'm at a loss what is wrong, what I may have done and/or what to do about it. I'm about ready to give up on this root business since, aside from Titanium Backup, rooting has only given me upgrade headaches. If I perform a wipe and if my current .905 is somehow not stock, I'll have accomplished nothing since another OTA attempt will likely fail again. And, if I wipe and lose root, I couldn't restore with Titanium backup. Right? Again, suggestions or assistance are welcomed and thank you for what you have done for the Bionic user community.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
wipe, FXZ'ing back to .902, then taking the .905 OTA, then the .246 OTA...from there you can root again using Razr's edge, reinstall titanium to restore your apps

OP
M

madmako

Reaction score
Easy for YOU to say....

wipe, FXZ'ing back to .902, then taking the .905 OTA, then the .246 OTA...from there you can root again using Razr's edge, reinstall titanium to restore your apps
Wipe: Settings->Privacy->Factory Data Reset (not SD card) - FXZing back to .902: (?Instructions would be helpful?) - OTA: Settings->About->System Updates (VZW will first update to .905 and when it done, I repeat the process)

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
246 FXZ ICS Bionic

If you are going to fxz, than go straight to 246 fxz & dont even worry about being rooted or stock or what is installed.
FXZ will wipe everything except what is on your Sd card & put the phone as if it came from Motorola with 246 ICS.

Look at this post on how to do it.
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...install-246-ics-fxz-updated-10-24-2012-a.html

You can root after & use Titanium to re install all your apps & date that goes with them.

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I would also try uninstalling Bootstrapper first & take the over the air again.
Some of these apps create issues with the update process.
You wont lose any apps, settings or data if you update OTA.

I would also recommend moving all of your photos & Music off the sd card onto the computer temporarily while doing the update & than putting them back after the update.
It is a known issue that a lot of media files can make the update take a really long time. (several hours)

OP
M

madmako

Reaction score
I would also try uninstalling Bootstrapper first & take the over the air again. Some of these apps create issues with the update process. You wont lose any apps, settings or data if you update OTA. I would also recommend moving all of your photos & Music off the sd card onto the computer temporarily while doing the update & than putting them back after the update. It is a known issue that a lot of media files can make the update take a really long time. (several hours)
Thank you, sir. It is always preferable to follow the rule of Occam's Razor. So, I'll uninstall Bionic Bootstrapper. And then use VooDoo Rootkeeper to temporarily unroot before proceeding with the 246 OTA?

droidvj

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G4
Thank you, sir. It is always preferable to follow the rule of Occam's Razor. So, I'll uninstall Bionic Bootstrapper. And then use VooDoo Rootkeeper to temporarily unroot before proceeding with the 246 OTA?

You don't have to disable root when using VooDoo and upgrading to ICS. You would have to uninstall the bootstrap. I also had to manually undo the link the bootstrap created after uninstalling the bootstrap. If you're using the OTA install, check the log file /cache/recovery/last_log for an error showing what failed. The install checks the checksum of various files to see if you've modified them. forever root also breaks the install and you have to restore the mount_ext3.sh original file.

OP
M

madmako

Reaction score
No Joy with both Bootstrapper and VooDoo Rootkeeper Uninstalled

I uninstalled both Bootstrapper and VooDoo Rootkeeper and performed a battery pull. After reboot, I re-downloaded the .246 OTA. Failed again. Looks like I'm out of easy options.